Round bale unroller

/ Round bale unroller #1  

Notforhire

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L47TLB
Has anyone built a hay bale unroller? I did a search and didn't come up with much.

Thanks, Bill

/ Round bale unroller #3  
I have seen unrollers that grab the bale at each end and let the bale roll on the ground and unroll. One could be made with A 3ph and 2 arms like on a pickup bale mover. On the end of each arm weld a stub axle and hub, notch and bend the wheel so it grips the bale and lets it spin. Hope it helps. Ed

/ Round bale unroller
Thank you all for the replys. That was all the info. I needed.

Best, Bill

/ Round bale unroller #6  
more curious than anything. what is the point to unroll a round bail? i thought the goal of round bail was to place it out in to the lot, then put a feed ring around it. and let the live stock eat over the next 1 to 4 days?

or is the purpose for smaller size live stock, vs cows / horses. and unrolling and tossing the layer into a shorter feed ring? *looks confused*

/ Round bale unroller
When you unroll it there is less waste, and you can control how much they eat.
We have just two horses, and some goats. For us square bales work best, but are more labor intensive.
I figure in the near future I won't be as able to stack and unstack the square bales.
The rounds are lots cheaper per pound, and I can do most of the work from the seat of the tractor.

Bill

/ Round bale unroller #8  
a question, if you are only un-rolling so much off at one time. how do you stop the bail from unrolling. and cut the portion that is on the ground and what is still on the bail itself? so you can move rest of round back back to storage area? does it just pull apart fairly easily with just some clumps here and there when you stop bail from unrolling and just drive off? or do you need to get off tractor. and use a pitch fork or some other hand tool to cut/pull what you want off before taking what ever is left of round bail back to storage?

/ Round bale unroller
a question, if you are only un-rolling so much off at one time. how do you stop the bail from unrolling. and cut the portion that is on the ground and what is still on the bail itself? so you can move rest of round back back to storage area? does it just pull apart fairly easily with just some clumps here and there when you stop bail from unrolling and just drive off? or do you need to get off tractor. and use a pitch fork or some other hand tool to cut/pull what you want off before taking what ever is left of round bail back to storage?

Io stop unrolling, lift the bale off the ground. From watching the operation, (I have never used an unroller myself), I think that starting sometimes can be a problem, if the bale isn't tightly rolled. The axle moves and you loose the wheel affect.