Home made hiller project

/ Home made hiller project #11  
Here's another version for ya. The discs are from Agri-Supply. The cultivator shank is from a Dearborn 13-2 . The shank makes a nice furrow, or flattens the top of the hill to plant on/in. It removes quickly to hill potatoes. I've since painted and fabbed up a mounting bracket for the shank.

DiscHiller002.jpg

Here's a test pass in our kitchen garden.

DiscHiller004.jpg

Another benefit of planting on hills is the nice irrigation furrow produced when drawing up the hills. REALLY needed it this summer. Fortunately, the blackberries were done before the drought hit. I still had to haul water twice a week to keep the canes alive and growing for next year. I'd flood the row with about 200 gallons each time. Mark

Misc013.jpg

/ Home made hiller project
Couln'g figure out how to get the text with the pix. Attachment started life as a citrus box hauler, given to me by a friend. We added the 3" ball on top for moving around the gooseneck trailers. We then added in the spacers and large angle iron to hold the 5 sacarifiers from the box blade - works great. Then I got the idea for the hiller. You can see the disc axle/bearing units, quills from a John Deere mower deck. Everything used was from scrap pile, except the 4' piece of 1/4 box tubing across the back and bolts. You can see it does a pretty good job. Needs cleaned up and painted - maybe someday.

I'm really pleased how this hiller works,but I'd like to add something to flatten the top of the hill. Thinking about a roller of some kind. Seems like in this area, all gardens including the commercial farms, plant in hills. It would certainly facilitate seed planting if the top of the hill was even and flat.
Anybody ever build something like that? Open to all ideas.

/ Home made hiller project #15  
a funnel on it side, with no bottom.

2 sides and a top. were larger opening is nearest to tractor and smallest opening is further away from tractor. in idea it would "compact" the dirt some and shape the hill.

if you just dragged a piece of metal behind a hiller that had a disc on each side. you would most likely "flatten" the hills. having the 2 sides should help keep the hill, standing up. while flattening the top.

random ideas for a shaper / molder. i would imagine you would need to run the 2 disc setup first to create mounds of dirt first. and then run the shaper / molder behind it.
hill molder.png

EDIT: the last diagram in above set of diagrams. you would adjust the green up right posts on the purple top bars. to adjust angle of the sides.

Got another idea. I think you're right, anything hat just drug would flatten the hill - but - how about a roller that was fastened to the toolbar, that would be adjusted to just flattten the top, mounted between the hiller discs, flattening process would always be the same once adjusted. I have the 2 front tires, axles etc off a Gravely rider I junked, I thought about mounting them sided by side, mounted on the toolbar so they would flatten the top. The two together should be about right. I like the idea of the shaper/molder, but looks pretty complicated.

/ Home made hiller project #17  
i like the idea of using car / truck tires or even wider width rear riding lawn mower tires. more so if mounted on an axel of sorts. so they can freely spin. would make a big help in reducing any sort of clogging issues the "shaper/molder" would have. along with reduce HP and traction tractor would need!

and if you ever wanted to add "extra weight" you could just fill the tires with a fluid.

larger diameter tires, would give you more "working space" to place bearings and any sort of metal support stucture/s needed to hold tires in place.

if you could mount the side tires, on a pivot point. the tires would roll with the hills. and may not compact the side of the hills as much. other words if they hit a hard spot the wheels would open wider. if you hit a narrow spot in hill were dirt was brought up into the dirt hill. the wheels would tilt down into a narrow position.

tire shaper.png

/ Home made hiller project #18  
Here is an easy hiller to build. It's a one row cultivator, modified with part of a freighliner frame and bolts.
Works great and it's 2 tools in one.

Attachments

• hiller2.jpg
    hiller2.jpg
    819.7 KB · Views: 1,212
  • hiller1.jpg
    hiller1.jpg
    799.6 KB · Views: 845
  • hiller3.jpg
    hiller3.jpg
    979.6 KB · Views: 692
   / Home made hiller project #19  
I made my hiller using discs from an old ferguson disc harrow, welding up my own brackets/axel housings. It works great for making rows & hilling up potato rows after they have grown a bit.

Thats nice