pole barn header question

/ pole barn header question #1  

hbragg

Tractor
Case
I am building a monitor style pole barn. I have a question about setting the headers for the shed portions of the barn. The sheds are 12'6" wide and are on a 3/12 pitch. I have noticed several builders put a 2X10 on each side of the post. Is this better than doubling the 2x10s and notching the post. Also the birds notch would have to be 8 1/2 inches to hit both headers. I know this would be quicker, but not sure about stronger. Anyone have any insight on which method is better. Does anyone have any experience using the reservoir type water level. I just built one and noticed sometimes it gets an air buble in it. Any advice would be appreciated.

/ pole barn header question #2  
I put mine on either side of the the post, held them temporarity in place with a couple of 12 pennies and then secured them with 2- 1/2"x10" galvenized carriage bolts. My situation is a little different than yours as I used scissor trusses for the roof and rested the bottom chord on the double 2x12 Southern Yellow Pine Beams for a 24 foot span.
I don't know if have been of any help, but I have know doubt there are plenty of real carpenters out there who will be.
3/12 sounds awfully shallow, what are you using for roofing?
Hope you're enjoying your project, I sure did enjoy mine.

Attachments

• IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    331.7 KB · Views: 429
   / pole barn header question #3  
I think either method would work, but I think the board on the inside and one on the outside looks better than a double on the outside.

Also, another reason they put one on the inside and outsude (and this may not apply to your plans) is that it sandwiches a 2x6 nicely or a knee brace and supports it on both sides

/ pole barn header question #4  
I prefer notching both sides. It gives you a great way to put knee braces, also you can use a 2x to tie very easy to your rafter tail.
Army Grunt

/ pole barn header question #5  
1. Doubling up on the same side is stronger if you put some 16ds thru both headers to make the two boards a single unit. (Not needed though)
2. Notching the post is stronger than a face connection (Again not needed)
3. Notching is a slower process than face attachment is speed of construction is a consideration