Tractor
    Kubota B4200

Default Home made sawbench

Hey guys. I'm quite keen to make a few implements for my tractor but don't really know where to start. I need a loader but I think that's perhaps a bit complicated, so I'm thinking of making a saw bench. Has anyone done this? I know the old models with the free blade sticking up through a table were pretty dodgy but the modern ones look very good. I have a friend who uses one on his MB Trac and it really flies through whatever you feed it.

The only thing I'm a bit stuck on is the gearbox and the 90 degree turn that the power has to make so as the logs can fall to the side of the tractor. If I make it in line then the seat will get in the way of the longer logs.

I tried to search but "saw" is too short for the search facility so I didn't come up with much.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    2006 Kama554; 92 Belarus 250AS

Default Re: Home made sawbench

Something like this?
    Vermont Woodsman Cordwood Saw
    Try searching Buzz saw, buck saw, or cordwood saw.
    http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/a...od-saw-hf.html
    I think a 1:1.5 gearbox from a rough cut mower (slasher) would be about right with a further 1:2 speed increase via a belt drive from the gearbox to the blade shaft. Closely copy the guarding of the commercial unit.
    Gearbox 40 Hp, Splined Input Shaft
    2006 Kama 554, 92 Belarus 250AS, Bombardier Outlander Max 400.

Tractor
    Kubota B4200

That's the kind of thing I want. It's hard work using a chainsaw and they're smelly horrible things that drink fuel and spray oil everywhere! I can't believe quite how much the bench saws cost, although looking at the seperate parts I'm not sure I will make much of a saving by the time it's done.

I have been tempted to buy an old one and modify some guards onto it, that could work out cheaper.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    massey ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by njc110381 View Post
    That's the kind of thing I want. It's hard work using a chainsaw and they're smelly horrible things that drink fuel and spray oil everywhere! I can't believe quite how much the bench saws cost, although looking at the seperate parts I'm not sure I will make much of a saving by the time it's done.

I have been tempted to buy an old one and modify some guards onto it, that could work out cheaper.

If your buying one! buy a good one even if it costs more, it usually saves in the long run