Pea Sheller

/ Pea Sheller #1  

Jbbies

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B2620
Anyone ever make or have plans for a homebuilt pea sheller? I have seen some on the net with a big drum that turns inside a frame... but cant really see exactly how its made.

Thanks Brandon

/ Pea Sheller #2  
We take our peas to a man who has a sheller. The drum is made of oak with the frame inside of the screen so the frame beats up the pea shells as it turns, there is a beater that turns about twice as fast as the drum and is just oak 1x2s that extend out from the shaft on small angle(think the reel on a small grain header on a combine) the beater boards are about 2" away from the frame work of the screen. One other thing this sheller has a wide belt the width of the sheller that sits on a slant and runs with the top of the belt going up. peas roll down and hull pieces go up and out the back. I know what I said here is not very clear but i hope it helps, if you ask a direct question about a part ect i will try to answer if no one else can do better. Ed

/ Pea Sheller #3  
Jbbies said:
Anyone ever make or have plans for a homebuilt pea sheller? I have seen some on the net with a big drum that turns inside a frame... but cant really see exactly how its made.

Thanks Brandon

http://davesgarden.com/files/bean_sheller/

Here are some fairly detailed plans. I have no experience with the design. Just trying to help you out.

Hope this is what you were looking for.

/ Pea Sheller #4  
I have two different ones, I like the mr. pea one better you can motorize it with a drill. I got lucky and found it on ebay for a low price.

/ Pea Sheller
Ed the one you describe is what I think I have been seeing... I would love to make one just need to figure out some plans.

/ Pea Sheller
Depmandog... that is exactly what im looking for... now if I can fully read them and find some time this winter I will build one.

thanks

/ Pea Sheller #7  
Jbbies said:
Depmandog... that is exactly what im looking for... now if I can fully read them and find some time this winter I will build one.

thanks

Glad that website was what you were looking for!

Remember, start a thread showing us the build - lots of pictures too!!

/ Pea Sheller #8  
Jbbies That is close to the one I use, the main difference is the lack of a wide belt running under the thrashing drum. Out of three 5 gal buckets of peas in the hull we put all of the bits of hull in the bottom of a tea cup. That belt really makes a difference.