Homemade AC light dimmer

/ Homemade AC light dimmer #1  

joshuabardwell

Elite Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT225
I want a dimmer to dim about 300-500 watts of incandescent lighting, and I think I could probably make something a lot cheaper than I could buy it. Is there any reason why I shouldn't just buy a dimmer switch, a wall box, and a face plate from the hardware store, then cut an extension cord in half and wire it into the switch?

In case it's not obvious, this is to be an inline dimmer, not an in-wall dimmer.

/ Homemade AC light dimmer #3  
One thing to watch Joshua, is the heat dissipation. While most of the dimmers as shown are supposed to be good for 600 watts, I wonder if they could really control that much. There are some losses in a dimmer, and those losses would manifest themselves as producing heat. I wonder if a metal box would be a better idea, and if during operation if the dimmer became too warm, perhaps an aluminum heatsink Image Detail for - Heat from dimmers - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical ...

would be a good idea.. You may be good to go as is, but I would check on the heat after a while before I threw this down on a carpeted floor.

James K0UA

/ Homemade AC light dimmer #4  
The prices for items they were showing in your post have probably changed since 2005.

I've got a couple of these, one I use regularly on a floor lamp that's hard to get to the switch (behind a chair). It's probably 10 years old and still dimming. It is just 300 watt max though and might not do what you want. I also see HD is out of stock but others have them also.

Lutron is a good name in dimmers. We've used them for years with fairly good results.

Google this dimmer:
Model # TT-300H-WH

Last edited:
   / Homemade AC light dimmer #5  
Personally i dont see why not. as long as its in a plastic box with a 2 hour rating, i cant see why it would matter.

sure would be mighty ugly though. I see some on ebay for $5, but there just hi/low/off

/ Homemade AC light dimmer
Personally i dont see why not. as long as its in a plastic box with a 2 hour rating, i cant see why it would matter. sure would be mighty ugly though. I see some on ebay for $5, but there just hi/low/off

Ugly don't matter for this particular application. And the cheapest 3-prong dimmer I could find was $50. This project is looking to shape up under $20. If you know of a pre-made project that can do it cheaper, I sure would rather buy something than make something!

/ Homemade AC light dimmer #7  
Ugly don't matter for this particular application. And the cheapest 3-prong dimmer I could find was $50. This project is looking to shape up under $20. If you know of a pre-made project that can do it cheaper, I sure would rather buy something than make something!

ive never seen an inline 3 prong dimmer for lamp cord. they only take the flat 2 wire cords.

the flat style run $9 .

/ Homemade AC light dimmer #8  
Most of the inline dimmers are made to handle small loads of a single lamp. I'd say you're on the right track by building you one if you need to control over 300 watts.

/ Homemade AC light dimmer #9  
I would put one vote for metal box. Reason being that you could install clamp fitting to hold the cable.
Electrical - Electrical Boxes, Conduit & Fittings - Conduit Fittings*at The Home Depot

Here few ready made:
Amazon.com: Westek 6089B 500W Full Range Foot Control Dimmer, Black: Home Improvement

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/DMR-12/500W-DIMMER/1.html

http://www.discountdimmers.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_27_130

Google 500W in cord dimmer

Any dimmer will work for incadesent but you need special dimmer for anything with transformer (such as low voltage halogen). Dimmers for transformers have symetrical output. Asymetrical output will burn the transformer due to DC component.

Last edited:
   / Homemade AC light dimmer #10  
I would put one vote for metal box. Reason being that you could install clamp fitting to hold the cable.
Electrical - Electrical Boxes, Conduit & Fittings - Conduit Fittings*at The Home Depot

Here few ready made:
Amazon.com: Westek 6089B 500W Full Range Foot Control Dimmer, Black: Home Improvement

500W DIMMER | AllElectronics.com

http://www.discountdimmers.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_27_130

Google 500W in cord dimmer

Any dimmer will work for incadesent but you need special dimmer for anything with transformer (such as low voltage halogen). Dimmers for transformers have symetrical output. Asymetrical output will burn the transformer due to DC component.

HE STATED he wanted it for a 3 prong plug.