My log skidding/ballast hitch project

/ My log skidding/ballast hitch project #1  

PapaPerk

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3830, Ford Golden Jubilee, 1939 Sears Economy, Polaris Ranger 400, Honda Foreman 450 ES, 2004 Dodge Diesel 3500
Thought I would share my latest attachment design.

I wanted a skidding hitch that also served as a trailer mover and ballast box. Nothing of this type was on the market so I developed one. My tractor, L3830 Kubota, does not have filled tires. So I determined how much ballast I needed by developing an axle loading equation in excel. :teacher: Here's a screen shot.

axle loading.JPG

I determined wheel loading using a bathroom scale and long beam. :laughing: Worked great and is accurate enough for my purposes! :thumbsup:

To achieve 50/50 loading with loader empty, I need 550lbs of ballast at the 3 point.

I'll share pics of the hitch when time allows...

/ My log skidding/ballast hitch project #2  
That's cool how you used excel to figure it out.

/ My log skidding/ballast hitch project
Yeah Excel makes the number crunching easy! Just gotta make sure I have my theory right. :reading:

Here's the pics.

1.JPG2.JPG3.JPG4.JPG5.JPG6.JPG7.JPG8.JPG

Notice the use of choker chains and grab links. This is a great way to choke logs.

The hitch is ballast is visible in a couple pictures. Laser cut steel 1/2" plate. It looks small but this hitch weighs in at around 550 lbs. :blacksmith:

Also note is it compatible with my iMatch JD quick hitch.

/ My log skidding/ballast hitch project #8  
Nice work!

/ My log skidding/ballast hitch project #9  
Great idea, Superb craftsmanship. Many of us can't justify a $4k farmi for the amount of logging that we do.

/ My log skidding/ballast hitch project #10  
It looks very nice. I like that it is qh compatible.