Help ID this hydraulic pump please....

/ Help ID this hydraulic pump please.... #1  

kilohertz

Tractor
John Deere 710
Help ID this hydraulic pump please....my new log splitter project

:confused:

I bought a new to me, very well built splitter, in need of a new engine...and I can't figure out what this pump is. It has 739-18 stamped on the side but no other mfr or p/n that I can find. Can someone step up and let me know what I have here? I have a Kohler 14HP that will bolt right in, and want to make sure I am moderately closely matched to what the pump needs. It's a 3.5" cylinder with an Energy C-908 kickoff valve.

Cheers

Paul

DSCN3391.JPGDSCN3386.JPG

Last edited:
   / Help ID this hydraulic pump please.... #2  
Sorry I can't identify the pump for you but if I had to take a gues it's a gear pump, 10 gpm or so, hard to tell from the angle of the pics. Have you considered a two stage pump, you could go with a good size one running it with a 14 horse.
A couple of suggestions. Since you're replacing the pump upsize the suction line to at least 1" minimum. Get rid of the black iron fittings on the pressure side, they're no where high enough rated pressure wise not to mention they look as if they're galvanized, a no-no around hydraulics....Mike

/ Help ID this hydraulic pump please.... #3  
No idea on the pump. But if you already have the 14HP that will bolt in, go ahead and do it. Then with no load, time a cycle with the cylinder. Aside from any loss from hose restriction, with a little math, you can get a close estimation of how may GPM the pump is. Then yo can figure weather the 14HP is enough.

And definatally get rid of those pipe fittings. They have no business in a hydraulic circuit.

/ Help ID this hydraulic pump please....
Re: Help ID this hydraulic pump please....my new log splitter project

Thanks guys! Yes, I spotted those pipe fittings as well. Interesting that the fellow I bought this from, owns a machine shop and that is where it was built. Nice heavy duty build but a few hydraulic no-no's. Good thought on testing the pump. I made measurements last night and the Kohler 14HP will bolt right on. The plate bolt pattern is identical, as is the crank spacing from the deck and the shaft size. Like it was made for it!! I guess small engines have a pretty standard layout for mounting. Depending on test results, I also have a nice 4" cylinder that I could install.

Yes, 2 stage would definitely make a difference and I am watching ebay for a deal on a Haldex type 16GPM, which I think would be perfect for this. Maybe even a 22GPM but they seem to double in price over the 16. Do any of you have a 2 stage pump you want to sell?

Here are a few more pics of the unit.

DSCN3379.JPG DSCN3380.JPG

DSCN3382.JPG DSCN3390.JPG

Now, to finish my coffee and get out there and mount the new engine and give it a run. Pressure wash, then paint fire engine red and put some nice wheels and tires on it. :cool2:

Cheers

Paul

/ Help ID this hydraulic pump please.... #5  
2 stage pumps are the way to go, speed and power when you need it. BTW, if you do end up replumbing it, put a return filter in ther also....Mike

/ Help ID this hydraulic pump please.... #6  
Wow, even more pipe fittings than we could see in the first post:confused2:

Deffinatally get them taken care of

/ Help ID this hydraulic pump please....

Update on today's progress....

Installed the Kolher 14HP today and had the splitter running (haven't updated the fittings yet but it's on the list, once I confirm what cylinder, pump etc I'm going to use.)

It ran fine, easily split Fir, but crapped out and would have stalled the 14HP on the Maple. Just ran out of jam. The pump is obviously over sized for this engine. I forgot to time the cylinder extension time, but it's now irrelevant. On the hunt for a 16 or 22 GPM 2 stage pump. I may also put the 4" cylinder on it..before it gets the paint job. :thumbsup: I am thinking the 16GPM 2 stage as I may want to go electric, and find a nice 5-7 HP electric for this. The 14HP is from my Go-Cart, which needs a clutch and won't be doing anything now until spring...

DSCN3394.JPG

DSCN3393.JPG

DSCN3397.JPG

Cheers

Paul

/ Help ID this hydraulic pump please.... #8  

In my opinion the splitting wedge is rather abrupt, should be a longer taper in my opinion.
Also, as mentioned, pipe fittings a NO-NO on the pressure side but OK on the return side.

/ Help ID this hydraulic pump please.... #9  
....and find a nice 5-7 HP electric for this.
That's going to be quite an expensive motor unless you luck out and find a cheap one. You'll have to watch the rpm also as electric motors are usually around 1725rpm where as the two stage pump is rated somewhere around 3K.
Just for my own curosity, why do you want to go electric, noise, pia with gas, most people won't be able to borrow or ?......Mike

/ Help ID this hydraulic pump please.... #10  
....and find a nice 5-7 HP electric for this.
That's going to be quite an expensive motor unless you luck out and find a cheap one. You'll have to watch the rpm also as electric motors are usually around 1725rpm where as the two stage pump is rated somewhere around 3K I think.
Another comment , I just realized the return is directly above the suction. If you're going to that amount of work to fix it up, move one or the other to the opposite end as well as put a downpipe on the return (I'm assuming there isn't one). The reason for the first is it gives the oil a chance to cool down before it's recycled thru the system. Reason for the second is that it'll prevent aireation of the oil.
Just for my own curosity, why do you want to go electric, noise, pia with gas, most people won't be able to borrow or ?......Mike