Hold Rolled or Cold Rolled steel?

/ Hold Rolled or Cold Rolled steel? #1  

bnixon

Gold Member
Tractor
TC33D / 7308 ldr 60" HD bucket
After pricing the quick attach for my loader and analyzing all of the weights. I have determined that there are very few out there that are light enough, once you add a bucket or forks, to put on our compacts without eating all of the loader capacity /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif. And they are very expensive /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif. I have decided to fab my own. My question is this, Should I use cold rolled steel or hot rolled steel and why?

Should I use 1/4" or some other gauge for the quick attach.

thanks,

/ Hold Rolled or Cold Rolled steel? #2  
Hi Brandon,

The weights are heavy because durability is a big issue with buckets and loaders and.......

If you are using your loader to pick up only lightweight items, then it might be worth fabricating out of cold rolled steel.

If you want flexibility in using your loader for most anything that comes your way, you should use hot rolled steel plate.

Heavy duty is not a bad thing for loaders and buckets.

Good luck

Yooper Dave

/ Hold Rolled or Cold Rolled steel? #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Should I use cold rolled steel or hot rolled steel and why?)</font>

For this application there will be no difference that amounts to anything. Strength is not an issue between hot and cold rolled that you are going to weld on. The delivered tensile strength of cold rolled is somewhat higher (a few percentage points) and the surface finish will be better (no mill scale). If you want higher strength steels you need different chemistry. You also may need to use different welding processes to take advantage of the strength and possibly heat treatment afterwards.

I would talk to a knowledgable steel supplier and tell them what your project is, they may be able to help you reach a decision on materials.