Gate opener

/ Gate opener #1  

Eyecatcher

Gold Member
Tractor
Yanmar EX450, Ford 8N/2N, Case 580C backhoe, Massey 185
Anybody built a gate opener from scratch? Everybody I've talked to who has purchased one has had trouble with it, maybe a guy could build a better mouse trap?

/ Gate opener #2  
I've built 2 for my gate(s). Both times I used a standard garage door opener to power them, one even was a swinger.

/ Gate opener #3  
I believe a garage door opener is the way to go.I scabbed up a model one weekend at work for a swing gate it worked good but,I haven't built the gate yet.

/ Gate opener
how about some pictures?

/ Gate opener #5  
Interesting. Never thought about building a gate opener. Would love to see someone do it.

Cha

/ Gate opener #6  
how about some pictures?

The swinger was replaced with the current slider/roller. The guts for the old swinger setup is in a pile behind the garage, I could drag it out and snap a few.

The roller that's in use now ain't much to look at. Just a painted wooded box with roller chain coming in/out and a commercial door opener inside.

/ Gate opener #7  
Here's my swinging gate operated by a 1/2 hp craftsman garage door opener. It looks a little rough but it has worked well for the last 3 years. The door opener is laying on its side. The black rain cover is a rubbermaid tub. I oil the chain every 2-3 months. Through trial and error, I found that the wooden arm should be at about a 45 degree angle when the gate is closed.

102_0614.jpg

102_0615.jpg

102_0616.jpg

/ Gate opener #8  
very creative!

/ Gate opener
Thanx for the pix, gives me some ideas

/ Gate opener #10  
I was thinking of a garage door opener, but with a rolling gate. One end suspended from a barn door track alongside the fence top, and the other end with a wheel. It would roll back and forth across the driveway instead of swinging.

Bruce