Bluetooth earmuffs

/ Bluetooth earmuffs #1  

Domush

Platinum Member
Tractor
1981 Yanmar 336D
I have an android phone with Pandora (internet radio), talk radio and audio books on it and I just love listening to it when doing chores. The problem comes in when I have to use my earmuffs for things (like tractor work, mowing, woodworking and chain sawing). It's an either/or type of deal. Either I go deaf and hear pretty music or have quiet and get bored.

Well, no longer! Enter the DIY (read: affordable) bluetooth earmuffs!

IMG_20120910_183826.jpg

These are cheapo harbor freight noise cancelling earmuffs. I ripped the guts out, but left the wire which runs to the second ear. I then stole the speakers from some headphones, then soldered and hot glued them into these earmuffs. I followed up by drilling a hole and hot gluing a bluetooth-to-headphones adapter (came with the bluetooth receiver), making it barely stick out of the earmuffs.

IMG_20120910_183818.jpg

I then used the headphone plug from the original headphones I tore apart and plugged them into the adapter, which was now 3/4 inside the earmuffs. The only noticeable difference in the earmuffs is the adapter jack sticking out for the bluetooth receiver to rest. I used a samsung receiver, as I have a couple of them laying around (electronics junkie).

Here is the final product:

IMG_20120910_183714.jpg

Now I can rock out to whatever I wish and, when finished, unplug the bluetooth receiver in order to charge it. Easy, no frills, and best of all, removable for those times I don't need/want it.

Total cost: $40 including earmuffs, headphones and bluetooth receiver. WAY cheaper than the cheapest bluetooth earmuffs I've found, which are $360! :drink:

Time to mow the lawn and listen to an audiobook!

UPDATE: Want to build you own set?

Here is a good selection of stuff to use (will cost more, as bluetooth headset prices have gone up):
- Bluetooth receiver w/radio: http://www.amazon.com/Ericsson-Hi-Fi-Bluetooth-Stereo-Headset/dp/B003DQ1DCM/ref=pd_cp_cps_0
- Ear muffs: http://www.harborfreight.com/garage...ise-canceling-electronic-ear-muffs-92851.html
- Headphones: http://www.harborfreight.com/headphones-3-pack-66976.html

A note on the headphones.. they are optional, as you can reuse the speakers in the earmuffs, but they are super cheezy, so I'd recommend some decent headphones. These are slightly more, but much nicer: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-ZX10...TF8&qid=1347329002&sr=1-1&keywords=headphones

Last edited:
   / Bluetooth earmuffs #3  
that is very creative...and nicely done...I use the the Plantronic back beat blue tooth device which allows me to listen to music etc , make phone calls and works great in the car. With having speakers in both ears makes hearing conversation and music terrific. And they fit very nicely under any pair on noise canceling ear protection.

Plantronics Backbeat 903 Plus Bluetooth Headphones

/ Bluetooth earmuffs #4  
My regular Elevex head phones will allow me to listen to the radio or my mp3 on my droid, as well as use the phone while wearing the headphones. The radio goes silent when a call comes in, I hit the on button and talk into the phone. The voice of the caller comes over the ear speakers. You have to hold the phone up to talk into it, but you don't have to take off the muffs.

/ Bluetooth earmuffs #5  
Old thread, I know...but it lays the ground work for my question.

If one has an MP3/radio that is not "bluetooth", will this critter help with low volume, clarity?

I've been looking and not able to find much on this.

Many thanks, Al

/ Bluetooth earmuffs #6  
The plantronics headset that I have had a dongle option to turn a non bluetooth device into a bluetooth one

/ Bluetooth earmuffs #7  
The plantronics headset that I have had a dongle option to turn a non bluetooth device into a bluetooth one

Thanks, I did find it online. Still confused. Would this simply plug into an mp3 player?

/ Bluetooth earmuffs #8  
The dongle plugs into the headset jack and then wirelessly using bluetooth communicates with the headset. My ipod was not bluetooth capable and this fixed that problem. I bought a hard protective case that had room for the dongle and the ipod

/ Bluetooth earmuffs #9  
Thanks again.

I have a couple of Sansa mp3s. They do have a USB that is used for charging. Would the dongle plug into that? The sound out of them is a 3.5mm plug.

I have found both types for sale. Just want to make sure I get the correct one.