Can crusher pics

/ Can crusher pics #11  
That is neat. I'm just curious how big your desk is to have a "doodad" like this on it.......

Curious- is there no nickle deposit on beverage cans where you are? Here in Vermont, those 30 cans would be worth $1.50. Although i like the idea of using less space to store them before returning to the store- they require them to be in original shape.

The stoopid aspect of the deposit law is that- each distributor is responsible for processing. So, if it isn't theirs, they don't want it. Most return centers have huge areas with different bins for each companies products. Takes up a lot of space. Would seem a lot easier if they would accept crushed cans regardless of distributor. Easier to count and less time spent sorting.

/ Can crusher pics #12  
"Ok, hold my beer CAN and watch this.........."

/ Can crusher pics #13  
That is neat. I'm just curious how big your desk is to have a "doodad" like this on it.......

Curious- is there no nickle deposit on beverage cans where you are? Here in Vermont, those 30 cans would be worth $1.50. Although i like the idea of using less space to store them before returning to the store- they require them to be in original shape.

The stoopid aspect of the deposit law is that- each distributor is responsible for processing. So, if it isn't theirs, they don't want it. Most return centers have huge areas with different bins for each companies products. Takes up a lot of space. Would seem a lot easier if they would accept crushed cans regardless of distributor. Easier to count and less time spent sorting.

that's a good point, it does make it complicated for the folks that take in the returnables. and in the end they all get crushed anyways. i could see a scale system to count crushed cans!

/ Can crusher pics

Nope, no deposit law where I am at. And I am glad we dont have it. Because where they do, you get ZERO for recycling the can. So that 30 pack, cost you an extra buck-fifty to buy. By returning the cans, you just get your buck-fifty back. Whereas by NOT paying the deposit, I get the proceeds as ADDITIONAL.:thumbsup:

"Ok, hold my beer CAN and watch this.........."

BINGO:laughing:

/ Can crusher pics #15  
I used to have a 100 ton hydraulic press that I would crush cans in. It would flatten a can to about .011 thick, then it could be folded and smashed again 2 more times to make a little pie shaped piece about .033 thick. It was mainly to show the local kids groups what you could do with some machinery.

/ Can crusher pics #16  
I stomp them and then throw them in a bag, when I get three bags full, I melt them down using my coal forge and pour them into some molds I have. I just stack them in the barn. This way if i need to cast something I have metal on hand.
Having something to crush the cans tighter would be a big help with storage. Nice Job.

/ Can crusher pics #17  
One of the things I love about this site; you see everyday americans being at their creative and innovative best, great idea and great job.

/ Can crusher pics #18  
We've got the nickel ransom on cans here in Oregon as well. They did take the return machines out of the individual stores and moved to a location that accepts most brands. The stores didn't care much about the return area and as a result the machines were either always full or inop, the floor was sticky as a **** theater and the ones outside were swarming with yellowjackets and tweakers. At least in the new center the machines work and there aren't any stinging insects. Still plenty of bums and tweakers, but that's just endemic to Oregon.
I've thought about building a crusher before, only I'd use a piston - crankshaft type run by a geared way down electric motor. Add a top feed hopper with a trigger that drop them one at a time and you could walk away and do other things, doesn't matter if it's slow.

/ Can crusher pics
I've thought about building a crusher before, only I'd use a piston - crankshaft type run by a geared way down electric motor. Add a top feed hopper with a trigger that drop them one at a time and you could walk away and do other things, doesn't matter if it's slow.

A buddy of mine made one of those. It is actually a double crusher. Kinda like the 2-way logsplitters, it crushes both directions. If you can visualize, it is a big flat plate with the "connecting rods" on the outside so the middle is free to crush both ways. It slides along two rods to keep it square.

Still working on a suitable hopper that wont jam and allow only one can in at a time, and allow the next one in squarely and quickly enough:confused2: