Can crusher pics

/ Can crusher pics #1  

LD1

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
Some pics of the can crusher I am making.

The valve set-up is temproary. I have a lever DCV that I am going to use. This was set-up just to test. But has small ports so it dont flow fast enough.

Enjoy:thumbsup:

crusher1.jpgcrusher2.jpgcrusher3.jpgcrusher4.jpgcrusher5.jpg

/ Can crusher pics #2  
Looks nice but also looks expensive lol

/ Can crusher pics
Not really. The aluminum was just some scrap drops from the shear, and the cylinder was an old used one that was destined for the trash that I rescued.

/ Can crusher pics #4  
That brings back memories. :thumbsup::thumbsup:I built one similar to that at work and let the opening hang over the end of my desk. I had quite a few people from all over the factory save their cans and bring them up to be able to put them in and hit the knob and watch it crush a can in half a second and drop into the box. Of course I took the aluminum home. One co-worker was going to catch his can so he put his hand under the chute a little to close and when the ram came back it pinched his finger a good one.:cool2: Nothing broken but got his attention.

/ Can crusher pics #5  
Make a cut out in the bottom end and the can will fall out after being crushed. :thumbsup: Nice work!

/ Can crusher pics
It is cut-out. Notice picture 1. I know its kinda dont look like it cause its setting on a stainless bench. But where the angled VEE shape stops, is the end of the bottom.

This isnt the first one of these I have made. I just bolt them to the workbench, Let the end hang over about 6", and place a barrel underneath. Cans fall out very nicely.:thumbsup:

/ Can crusher pics #7  
Deere Dude said:
That brings back memories. :thumbsup::thumbsup:I built one similar to that at work and let the opening hang over the end of my desk. I had quite a few people from all over the factory save their cans and bring them up to be able to put them in and hit the knob and watch it crush a can in half a second and drop into the box. Of course I took the aluminum home. One co-worker was going to catch his can so he put his hand under the chute a little to close and when the ram came back it pinched his finger a good one.:cool2: Nothing broken but got his attention.

I was thinking about that when I saw it. Made me imagine a crushed finger. I'm sure it's for personal use so it doesn't matter but a guard would be nice. I can only imagine the things I would have put in that as a child........ Or inebriated younger man.

Chuck

/ Can crusher pics
No guards. For personal use only. If I am stupid (or drunk) enough to leave a finger in there and hit the lever, then I deserve what I'll get.:mur:

/ Can crusher pics #9  
It is cut-out. Notice picture 1. I know its kinda dont look like it cause its setting on a stainless bench. But where the angled VEE shape stops, is the end of the bottom.

This isnt the first one of these I have made. I just bolt them to the workbench, Let the end hang over about 6", and place a barrel underneath. Cans fall out very nicely.:thumbsup:

ahhh I see it! Duh! Nice! Makes for rapid crushing! :jump:

/ Can crusher pics
Makes for rapid crushing! :jump:

It sure does.

And its actually more efficient than one might think. It takes 30 cans to make a pound. And they are bringing ~60-70 cents a pound right now.

My compressor....draws 15A @ 220V. With my power @ 12 cents /kwh, by my math, thats ~$0.40 to run for an hour.

Cycling this thing about 60 times causes the compressor to run for 1 minute to charge up.

So....under a pennys worth of compressed air to crush $1.20-$1.40 worth of cans:thumbsup: