Plasma or Laser Cutting Services

/ Plasma or Laser Cutting Services #1  

tkappeler

Platinum Member
Tractor
TYM T293
I need to have some plates fabricated for attaching 6x10 collar ties to 6x10 rafters. I know from some of his prior posts that Artisan sends his drawings to a local service to have them fabricated. Any suggestions for services where you can send CAD drawings and have them make them and ship them out? What questions do I need to ask or things to consider when selecting one?

I am still waiting on final architect's specs so I can't tell you material thickness/strength, etc just yet.

Thanks.

/ Plasma or Laser Cutting Services #2  
Don't rule out waterjet cutting either. Most services will want a DXF file as their format of choice based on my experience here. It's best if the lines making up the design are closed loop polylines that are treated as a single entity and the cutting head follows in one continuous cut instead of starting and stopping at individual line segments.

If you send shop drawings, the service company has to recreate the part in CAD minus the dimensions, border, text, etc to get a useful file for the machine to use as a tool path, or they have to take your shop drawings file and strip off all the superfluous crap to get a useful tool path. Then they have to nest the parts as many times as parts you're ordering to make the cutting machine efficient. If you can do your own CAD, you'll save money.

CNC Laser and waterjet cutting will be more accurate than CNC plasma cutting.

Ask them what CAD file format they prefer, how close you can nest the parts, cut quality (waterjet usually has five cut qualities with #2 being more than adequate with steel and cheaper than cut quality #5).

Let me know if you need clarification on some of the terms I've used.

/ Plasma or Laser Cutting Services
Thanks for the reply. I did not mean to rule out waterjet. I was just trying to convey the need, not a particular technique or methodology. I do understand all of your terminology. I had not thought about having to do my own nesting of parts, but it makes sense. Now to find a good, reasonable service.

/ Plasma or Laser Cutting Services #5  
Thanks for the reply. I did not mean to rule out waterjet. I was just trying to convey the need, not a particular technique or methodology. I do understand all of your terminology. I had not thought about having to do my own nesting of parts, but it makes sense. Now to find a good, reasonable service.

You're welcome, please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

/ Plasma or Laser Cutting Services #6  
I own a small fab shop with a CNC Plasma Cutter I might be able to help you out my email is dbug10@aol.com I am located in Lexington SC but I can ship anywhere you need thanks James Sanderson

/ Plasma or Laser Cutting Services #7  
I can also redraw whatever you send me but a .DXF file would be nice but not necessary