Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    nothing

Default Tractors are expensive, how to substitute tractors

I have Claas Markant 55 square baler, to pull and run I need to buy a tractor with a 540 RPM PTO, and since it does not need much power to run, and because tractors are expenseve (Tractor price 30,000$), I thought of two ways:-

1- Engine with speed reducer 1,000$
    to get an engine and connect a speed reducer to it's shaft to get 540 rpm, and put that motor with the speed reducer in my truck, and connect it with the baler shaft, pulling the baler by the truck.

2- Generator, two motors, speed reducers, steel, tire 4,000$
    to get a generator on a simple car design (four weels with a steel beem), and two motors with a speed reducers, one motor for the baler and the other to be connected to the wheel of the car to pull the baler.

Did any budy do any of that before?
    Last edited by saljas; 09-18-2012 at 05:01 AM. Reason: The header is wrong

Tractor
    2590 Case

Why not purchase a used tractor for $5000 to $10000 and you will have something that you can use for other purposes as well.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

Tractor
    Case ih 254

I vote for number 1. But mount the motor on the baler. Of course adding some sort of governor to keep the rpm right. And adapting the baler to mount the engine and reducer. Don't forget some sort of clutch mechanism to reduce load at startup. And an overrunning clutch to protect the engine and reducer.

Um...... On second thought. If an older tractor is an option get one. Unless this is a quest to build. Then post a picture when your done.

Chuck

Elite Member Redneck in training's Avatar
    Tractor
    TYM 330 HST with FEL

Default Re: Tractors are expensive, how to substitute tractors

Saljas,
    It can be done but your estimation of the required power is way off. 55 requires 45HP/33kW. I don't know about any new $1000 engine that can produce such power. You could get a bigger engine including a gearbox from a junk yard though. Manual transmission four wheel drive power train might have the ratio to get about 540 rpm. Other option would be to put hydraulic pump on your pickup and hydraulic motor on the PTO input to the baler.

Surplus Center - 9.59 CU IN PTO DRIVE MOTOR Here is an example of a motor.

You will need about 13 cubic inches motor at 540 rpm and 30 gal/min; 113 L/min pump. The engine powering the pump should have about 90 HP to prevent bogging under the load. The advantage of the hydraulics is that you could use it to power other implements. I am not an expert on hydraulics so check the calculation here:
    Surplus Center - Tech Help

Silver Member
    Tractor
    TL80a, Ford 4000, Super H, F 12, F14

We ran a New Holland 68 baler for 40 years with a two cylinder Wisconson motor making 12 - 15 hp. Sat over the flywheel - connected with 3 belts and a lever clutch. Maybe this will help:
    Viewing a thread - My old baler
    I am surprised the Class takes that much HP to run however in my fields I would want a substantial tractor to handle it. We normally pulled the 68 with a Farmall Super H and once with a 9N on a level field just for kicks.
    Bob

ps. that's not my baler but just like it.
    Last edited by Sawdustsmb; 09-18-2012 at 09:00 AM. Reason: additional info

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830, Ford Golden Jubilee, AC B, '39 Sears Economy, Polaris Ranger 400

Do what the Amish do... then you can just use horses!

-dsc_0149-jpg-hay-baler-5-640x4241-jpg-round_hay_baler-jpg

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Oliver 1855, Case 1840, Cub 1550

Old Willey jeeps had PTO option, shaft in front and rear also. Does you truck trans have a PTO option, run a shaft out the back.

Dave

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

Older Jeeps with the channel frame didn't stand up well to the constant surging motion of a Wisconsin-powered baler.

Bruce

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Zetor 3011, Zetor 5718

There is no subsitute for a tractor, especially when baliing you should be right on top of the action.
    Free scrap is a good investment !!!
    “The worst enemy of life, freedom and the common decencies is total anarchy; their second worst enemy is total efficiency” · Aldous Huxley
    1998 Volvo S70 TDI
    2007 Volvo 440 1.9 TD based dirt buggy, needs time !

Tractor
    changes

can be done with a fifteen hp gas engine and belts. (if fly wheel is exposed) square balers have been self powered for years.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast