Tractors are expensive, how to substitute tractors

/ Tractors are expensive, how to substitute tractors #1  

saljas

Tractor
nothing
I have Claas Markant 55 square baler, to pull and run I need to buy a tractor with a 540 RPM PTO, and since it does not need much power to run, and because tractors are expenseve (Tractor price 30,000$), I thought of two ways:-

1- Engine with speed reducer 1,000$
to get an engine and connect a speed reducer to it's shaft to get 540 rpm, and put that motor with the speed reducer in my truck, and connect it with the baler shaft, pulling the baler by the truck.

2- Generator, two motors, speed reducers, steel, tire 4,000$
to get a generator on a simple car design (four weels with a steel beem), and two motors with a speed reducers, one motor for the baler and the other to be connected to the wheel of the car to pull the baler.

Did any budy do any of that before?

Last edited:
   / Tractors are expensive, how to substitute tractors #2  
Why not purchase a used tractor for $5000 to $10000 and you will have something that you can use for other purposes as well.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ Tractors are expensive, how to substitute tractors #3  
I vote for number 1. But mount the motor on the baler. Of course adding some sort of governor to keep the rpm right. And adapting the baler to mount the engine and reducer. Don't forget some sort of clutch mechanism to reduce load at startup. And an overrunning clutch to protect the engine and reducer.

Um...... On second thought. If an older tractor is an option get one. Unless this is a quest to build. Then post a picture when your done.

Chuck

/ Tractors are expensive, how to substitute tractors #4  
Saljas,
It can be done but your estimation of the required power is way off. 55 requires 45HP/33kW. I don't know about any new $1000 engine that can produce such power. You could get a bigger engine including a gearbox from a junk yard though. Manual transmission four wheel drive power train might have the ratio to get about 540 rpm. Other option would be to put hydraulic pump on your pickup and hydraulic motor on the PTO input to the baler.

Surplus Center - 9.59 CU IN PTO DRIVE MOTOR Here is an example of a motor.

You will need about 13 cubic inches motor at 540 rpm and 30 gal/min; 113 L/min pump. The engine powering the pump should have about 90 HP to prevent bogging under the load. The advantage of the hydraulics is that you could use it to power other implements. I am not an expert on hydraulics so check the calculation here:
Surplus Center - Tech Help

/ Tractors are expensive, how to substitute tractors #5  
We ran a New Holland 68 baler for 40 years with a two cylinder Wisconson motor making 12 - 15 hp. Sat over the flywheel - connected with 3 belts and a lever clutch. Maybe this will help:
Viewing a thread - My old baler
I am surprised the Class takes that much HP to run however in my fields I would want a substantial tractor to handle it. We normally pulled the 68 with a Farmall Super H and once with a 9N on a level field just for kicks.
Bob

ps. that's not my baler but just like it.

Last edited:
   / Tractors are expensive, how to substitute tractors #6  
Do what the Amish do... then you can just use horses! :thumbsup:

dsc_0149.jpghay-baler-5-640x4241.jpground_hay_baler.jpg

/ Tractors are expensive, how to substitute tractors #7  
Old Willey jeeps had PTO option, shaft in front and rear also. Does you truck trans have a PTO option, run a shaft out the back.

Dave

/ Tractors are expensive, how to substitute tractors #8  
Older Jeeps with the channel frame didn't stand up well to the constant surging motion of a Wisconsin-powered baler.

Bruce

/ Tractors are expensive, how to substitute tractors #9  
There is no subsitute for a tractor, especially when baliing you should be right on top of the action.

/ Tractors are expensive, how to substitute tractors #10  
can be done with a fifteen hp gas engine and belts. (if fly wheel is exposed) square balers have been self powered for years.