DIY dump trailer for my tractor

/ DIY dump trailer for my tractor #1  

MJPetersen

Veteran Member
Tractor
YM 1510-D
Several years ago I started to build a trailer--just a general use trailer to replace one that was too light for how I was using it. :eek: But I set the project aside and repaired the abused one instead. I finally decided to cut the original trailer down and make it a dump trailer to pull with my YM 1510D. I made progress and took some pics but never got it to a usable stage. Finally about a month ago I have gotten back on it and now it is usable--not completely finished, but usable.

I built it without the hydraulic cylinder as I did not have external hydraulics on my tractor--I still do not fully (I am using the pressure port for the 3pt lift hydraulics for a one way cylinder). Most of the materials were scraps that I scrounged and the scavaged trailer that I started to build several years ago. I made it just wide enough to get my mini excavator into it, if I ever decide to do so. I do not know about doing that though--have not tried and it would far exceed the rating on the axle.

Some of the non-orthodox structure is the result of adapting my original build to this new purpose. Let me know what you think and suggestions are always welcome.

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_7633.jpg
    IMG_7633.jpg
    510.4 KB · Views: 2,812
  • IMG_7632.jpg
    IMG_7632.jpg
    585.2 KB · Views: 1,204
  • 20120906_172434.jpg
    20120906_172434.jpg
    532 KB · Views: 2,058
  • 20120817_192000.jpg
    20120817_192000.jpg
    566.3 KB · Views: 5,623
   / DIY dump trailer for my tractor #2  
Hi Mike from another Mike :).
The only problem I can see is the mount under the bed for the cylinder. I think you might have a couple of problems all related to the same design. When the dump body is down there's a lot of the strain/force directed straight back rather than up. Because of that, the upper mount should be tied into the structure of the bed rather than just the deck. What I can see happening is the deck bending up.
Maybe add a couple of longitudinal braces between the two bunks on either side of the mount?
Not picking btw, just a suggestion :).....Mike

/ DIY dump trailer for my tractor
I was able to find a telescoping cylinder at the scrap yard and bought it for the price of scrap--that was my good deal in this whole project--about $6 for a three stage cylinder. It has 2 inch ball ends which made for some creativity in mounting it, but it enabled me to get the dump angle that I wanted without resorting to a scissor lift of some sort.

My hinge points are lower because originally I was thinking that I would have to keep the hyd cylinder pretty flat because of the low floor and lowering the hinge points would give me an effective angle that would dump the load. Now that I have the telescoping cylinder it would not be so very necessary, but it was and works therefore it does not get changed. :D

I did put grease nipples on the ball pivots and the hinge pins so I should not have problems in these areas. In the areas that I felt needed more strength I added additional elements. As you can see it does the job.

Mike

Attachments

• first load.jpg
    first load.jpg
    905.9 KB · Views: 3,416
  • As it starts up a sigh of relief..jpg
    As it starts up a sigh of relief..jpg
    1,014.8 KB · Views: 853
  • 30 scoops with mini-ex.jpg
    30 scoops with mini-ex.jpg
    987.3 KB · Views: 1,898
  • Dump angle.jpg
    Dump angle.jpg
    1,006 KB · Views: 1,399
  • Dump angle at maximum.jpg
    Dump angle at maximum.jpg
    1,010.1 KB · Views: 34,527
Last edited:
   / DIY dump trailer for my tractor #4  
Very nice Mike. Seems to work real well.
Thanks for the pictures!

The only problem I can see is the mount under the bed for the cylinder. I think you might have a couple of problems all related to the same design. When the dump body is down there's a lot of the strain/force directed straight back rather than up. Because of that, the upper mount should be tied into the structure of the bed rather than just the deck. What I can see happening is the deck bending up.
Maybe add a couple of longitudinal braces between the two bunks on either side of the mount?

You are very right and what you see in the first pictures was only a temporary positioning and experimenting state. It would and did bend the bed even at this stage and with no weight. I did not post a clear picture of the finished structure under the bed in its finished form yet. I will do that if I have one--if not I will post one some time. I have strengthened this area by tying it into the frame work of the bed and have strengthened it significantly. I could not find a good picture of the under deck frame but will get a picture maybe on Monday. I checked for flexing of any members by raising the bed with a load and dropping it and catching and raising again. There did not seem to be any flexing of any parts.:dance1:

I have a bigger bucket for the mini-ex but was too lazy to change to the bigger bucket for a couple of loads. :ashamed:

Mike

Attachments

• bed structure.jpg
    bed structure.jpg
    992.7 KB · Views: 4,259
  • loading it up.jpg
    loading it up.jpg
    947 KB · Views: 1,147
I just figured up that it conservatively will hold over 1.5 yards of sand--at 3,240 lbs for damp sand that is 4,860 lbs load--that is more than I was thinking it would be. No wonder my tractor was having a hard time maneuvering it around in soft sand and the tires on the trailer were complaining. I guess I do not have to worry about the mini-ex for the weight factor anyway. It only weighs 3300 lbs.

Mike

Attachments

• 4860 lbs load.jpg
    4860 lbs load.jpg
    905.9 KB · Views: 510
   / DIY dump trailer for my tractor #7  
Very nice work! Ive been thinking about building one myself. I think its great you were able to find the perfect hydraulic cylinder used!

/ DIY dump trailer for my tractor #8  
Good job!

If I were to say anything I would say to add a safety chain at the hitch
not only to keep it behind you while towing but the weigh pulling up would
ruin your day if you or someone else was standing over the unit and it
came unhitched.

Also I would add centering guides so when the main body is all the way
down it will not want to move left and right over the frame, the rear is
fixed at the hinge but the front is not.

You may want to not fill it so high, it obviously will do it but exceeding
the weight of the tractor could be of issue....

Good job! You could probably clean up that cylinder perfect and give
it a perfect paint job and sell it having enough money to buy another
toy!

/ DIY dump trailer for my tractor #9  
Really love the excellent photos and congrats on completing that trailer. I sure could use one.
Photos really appreciated.

/ DIY dump trailer for my tractor #10  
Fantastic idea but that frame looks way to light to handle those loads. I think a pintle hitch would also have been better to reduce the chance of the ball hitch coming undone. Good luck and be careful.