Log Lift Table

/ Log Lift Table #1  

tetomas

Tractor
64 Ford 4000D
I have a Spee Co splitter that I bought from my local farm cooperative, and I am intent on adding a log lift to it. The splitter has a 10hp engine, 16 gpm 2 stage pump, and a 4x24 cylinder. I have acquired a 2x8 cylinder and a new valve to use for the lift. Looking for suggestions as to what to build the lift table out of, how to figure the mounting location for the cylinder. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Jimmy

/ Log Lift Table #2  
There are a lot of threads on the subject. Just make sure your new valve has a Power Beyond port. The splitter valve probably does not. The valves are plumbed in series with the lifter valve first. ITs PB port feeds the power port on the splitter valve. Both valves have return to tank ports which can be teed together. Make sure both valves are open center. They probably are but they have to be the same and match the pump.

/ Log Lift Table #3  
I have a Spee Co splitter that I bought from my local farm cooperative, and I am intent on adding a log lift to it. The splitter has a 10hp engine, 16 gpm 2 stage pump, and a 4x24 cylinder. I have acquired a 2x8 cylinder and a new valve to use for the lift. Looking for suggestions as to what to build the lift table out of, how to figure the mounting location for thiohe cylinder. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Jimmy

I built my log lift on my Brave splitter out of 1 1/4" x 1/4" wall square tube. I mocked up the hinge points using some pieces of plywood and c-clamps. I know that youre supposed to use a valve with power beyond but i just plumbed my lift valve inline with my splitter valve and havent had any problems after almost 200 hrs.

/ Log Lift Table
I built my log lift on my Brave splitter out of 1 1/4" x 1/4" wall square tube. I mocked up the hinge points using some pieces of plywood and c-clamps. I know that youre supposed to use a valve with power beyond but i just plumbed my lift valve inline with my splitter valve and havent had any problems after almost 200 hrs.

did you plumb the valves in series or in paralell?

/ Log Lift Table #5  
You have them in series, again with the splitting valve last. This is also how I have my splitter set up only I have 4 valves inline. The first is an aux hook up for a hydraulic dump trailer, the second is for the hydraulic jack, the third is for the log lift, & the 4th is the splitting cylinder.
As far as designs for a log lift, browse thru the past threads & you will find several different approaches. Some make them in an "L" which allow you to stand on them. Others (myself included) have a more open angle (30 - 45 degree). The advantage to this is you need less of a stroke to move a lift 45 degrees than the "L" which has to move 90 degrees to be level to the splitter. It also has a larger work area & will allow you to pile more wood on it if you place it in a half raised position to use it as a staging area.
Post pictures as you go or at least once it's done. :) John

/ Log Lift Table #6  
my poor mans log lift, I normally do not have a lot of large rounds,

logspliter007.jpg

logspliter002.jpg

/ Log Lift Table #7  
my poor mans log lift, I normally do not have a lot of large rounds,

logspliter007.jpg

logspliter002.jpg

How does the lift crane turn from one position to another? Is it on a flange or just one piece of round tube that fits into another?

/ Log Lift Table #8  
mx842 said:
How does the lift crane turn from one position to another? Is it on a flange or just one piece of round tube that fits into another?

I have one of those HF cranes in my truck bed, and have been thinking about getting another to mount either on the splitter or on the tongue of our trailer.

If his is like mine, the bottom tube is reduced in diameter about 2/3rds of the way up to allow the top tube to fit over it. There is a grease zerk on the top of the top piece to help keep it rotating smoothly.

We also smeared some grease around the base to keep it smoother.

As is usually the case around our place, we have at times seriously overloaded the heck out of the truck crane and it has laways worked smoothly and making any movement from lifting, jacking it up or rotating it very easy.

Seeing your setup is really making me think again about putting it on

Thomas
No matter where you go; there you are...

/ Log Lift Table #9  
Double post deleted

Would you mind awfully posting some detailed pics of how you mounted the crane to your splitter?

I would love some better idea how to get the mounting stiff enough to resist torquing it out.

On our truck we have support struts welded to the frame to stiffen it up.

/ Log Lift Table #10  
did you plumb the valves in series or in paralell?

My splitter has the outflow of the splitter valve plumbed into the inlet of the lift valve. I know this may not be the best way but i have had no problems as of yet.