Finally after almost 2 years.............

/ Finally after almost 2 years.............
winding down............

DSC02652.JPG DSC02653.JPG DSC02654.JPG
DSC02656.JPG

DSC02658.JPG DSC02659.JPG

I had a little sealer left over from another job so once they had finished for the day I sealed this section just for grins.

DSC02655.JPG

That's all until tomorrow.........

Last edited:
   / Finally after almost 2 years............. #22  
Baby cooperhead no match for a big Mack concrete truck.

View attachment 282365

Third load, which makes 27 yards comes up short by about 1/2 yard and had to send truck back for 1 yard min. They didn't charge me extra though I just had to pay for the one yard of mix for $105.00.

View attachment 282369 View attachment 282370 View attachment 282371 View attachment 282372View attachment 282373

Great looking barn/shop building, I learned some things that'll likely help us when we get to that point with our barn, even though we're not doing radiant (or any other routine) heating.

BUT... your links didn't work on this particular post.

Curious the specs of the concrete they poured. Looks fairly "wet".

It was a 3500 lb mix with fiber and no air. We added 15 gals of water to the first and second load, 10 gals to the third load and none to the last 1 yard load.

Great looking barn/shop building, I learned some things that'll likely help us when we get to that point with our barn, even though we're not doing radiant (or any other routine) heating.

BUT... your links didn't work on this particular post.

Sorry about the links I must have pushed the wrong button or something. If you have any questions about anything I did or how please ask. Now let me see if I can fix the links.

It should be working now.

From the pics I guess you can see that I had to take down a couple sheets of paneling so I could get the concrete chute through. I didn't want to have to get a pump truck cause that would have added another $1000.00 + to the job and it was no big deal to take down a sheet or 5 to get the truck in.

Thankfully it was dry enough to get the trucks around back cause it was really wet back there before I did some grading to get the water away from there. A few weeks ago I had worked on a friends tractor and once I was done I used it to spread out a load of gravel I had brought in and about 20 feet out from the front left corner there was a soft spot and as soon as the front wheels hit this spot they sunk to the axle. Even with the 4 wheel drive it wouldn't budge because of the angle it was in and the back wheels were spinning on wet loose soil. I raised the front end up with the bucket and put a whole pallet of landscape concrete blocks in the holes before I found enough bottom to be able to drive out. once I got out I carefully pushed most of the loose muddy stuff out of the way and filled it over with the stone I had to where I could drive through there. I had to order another load of stone so I would have enough to make a path all the way around the building so the concrete trucks would have a road that would hopefully hold them up.

I had a wrecker on standby just in case one of them found a hole like the one I found with the tractor but with two weeks of sun and no more rain they got all around the building with no problems at all, it was amazing to see those heavy trucks work around the area and hardly make a mark on the surface the way they did. It was also a lot easier to position the trucks exactly where we wanted them as they were not slipping and sliding all over the place.

i

Last edited:
   / Finally after almost 2 years............. #25  
mx842 I noticed some fresh concrete splashed up on the siding. I would suggest you wash that off as soon as possible.

mx842 I noticed some fresh concrete splashed up on the siding. I would suggest you wash that off as soon as possible.

Thanks, I cleaned up a few spots this morning and I'm sure there are a few more spots that need cleaning off. Now that My floor is done I can get together enough siding to finish out the back part of the building. Once this is done I am going to wash the whole thing and paint it all one color.

I had my concrete man come back yesterday and cut in the expansion lines into the floor. It's hard to believe how much dust came out of that fresh cement, It completely covered the whole place once it was done. It didn't take but about an hour to cut the lines but it took the rest of the day to clean it all up. I tried sweeping it but that didn't work so I got out my leaf blower and that worked pretty good then I went back over it with the broom to get the rest. After that I washed it down with the water hose and let it dry so I could apply the sealer. I used up what I had and am going over to pick up another 5 gals so I can finish sealing it off so I can start filling it up.

DSC02663.JPG DSC02664.JPG DSC02665.JPG DSC02666.JPG
DSC02667.JPG

After a little clean up.

DSC02671.JPG

Then with a little sealer.

DSC02670.JPG

/ Finally after almost 2 years............. #28  
Did you hear that annoying hissing sound from a cut tube? :laughing:

Do you see any red when you look into the cuts? :eek:

Good job! Isn't it a relief to have that pour done and have a nice place to walk around and work. It's always such a relief to get out of the ground and have concrete.

/ Finally after almost 2 years............. #29  
When I had my shop floor pored they put in plastic strips in the concrete, they were buried about 1/4 inch below the surface and give the floor a line if it needed it. It has been 3 years and I have no cracks, it has a 5 1/2 inch thick floor of fibre concrete, the wife's floor for the fruit stand has one crack.
I could not afford the heated floor, your looks great.

Did you hear that annoying hissing sound from a cut tube? :laughing:

Do you see any red when you look into the cuts? :eek:

Good job! Isn't it a relief to have that pour done and have a nice place to walk around and work. It's always such a relief to get out of the ground and have concrete.

Nawh......no sound and no red:dance1: I don't know if it was just luck or what, because I had to leave the building a couple times:pullinghair: because I couldn't stand to watch it any more. The guys did the best they could to stay off the tube but it was impossible for them to work the mud and stay completely off it.

Oh man, is it ever so much better.:cloud9: Everything looks so different. I have been working in the building for months doing electrical work putting up walls, laying air lines and everything else you can think of, hop scotching around trying to not step on tubes and rebar. It's a wonder I didn't end up with a broken leg or worst as many times as I tripped over that stuff or caught a pant cuff on a piece of rebar driven in the floor that was used as a grade stake while carrying supplies or a ladder from one end to another.

My wife claims that I have learned a complete new vocabulary since I have been working on this building.:laughing: At first she would come down every evening after she got off work to see how things were going. I don't know why, but there for awhile it looked like everytime she came home and as she was walking down the drive to the building; just about that time I would miss a nail with the hammer and smash my thumb or knock over a bucket of paint or maybe even trip over a piece of rebar and I would let out a cussing spree that would make any sailor proud.:hissyfit: At first she would come in to see what all the fuss was about and try to offer a shoulder to cry on but after awhile she would just turn around and head back to the house without saying a word. Probably to say a small prayer because she knew it was nothing she could do for me when I get on a roll like that.:ashamed:

I'm not saying getting the floor done will completely cut out all of the temper tantrums but hopefully it will make conditions a little easier to work in and maybe even possibly cut down a few of these:censored: cussing spells and improve the chances of making it to heaven rather than the other option when I go away from this world.:laughing: