Finally after almost 2 years.............

/ Finally after almost 2 years............. #1  

mx842

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3301, PowerKing 2414, John Deere 316, Gravely ZT HD 52
Tomorrow morning the concrete trucks will drop off 25+ yards of concrete to cover up my pex tube and make me a nice smooth place to walk on in my pole barn. Hopefully by this time tomorrow the finishers will have done their thing and all I will have to do then is cut a few joints in and then I'll let it sit for a few days then start moving in some of my equipment. It's been a long hard road and it's hard to believe the floor is finally going to be poured.

This is what it looks like tonight and hopefully I'll be able to post some of the finished product tomorrow night.

DSC02575.JPG DSC02581.JPG DSC02584.JPG DSC02416.JPG

/ Finally after almost 2 years............. #2  
Very nice!!! Looks like you are planning on spenmding a little time in there...

/ Finally after almost 2 years............. #3  
Stupid question, but how do you cut joints when there is pex in the concrete?

/ Finally after almost 2 years............. #5  
Looks great, you have put a lot of work into it.

/ Finally after almost 2 years............. #6  
I noticed in the last picture a pex piece laying on the ground that is not connected to anything. Hoping this is just a piece left over.

/ Finally after almost 2 years............. #7  
Just a suggestion...If you sprinkle it with water a few times daily for the first three days...it will enhance the curing process...

the wetter the better...

/ Finally after almost 2 years............. #8  
The finishers can tool in some "cuts" for crack control. If you do it later with a saw you are seriously risking a cut tube. And the cracks might have already started by that time. Trowel grooves in during finishing if you can.

You are most likely to get cracks around your posts and especially from the ones near the door. If you hammer the sharp edges off the post footings and lay a few last minute diagonal bars or ring bars around those posts it will help. Cracks radiate from inside corners in the pour.

Be prepared to bark at the concrete crew as they walk all over your carefully laid tube where it is unsupported by bar. And be sure it is under pressure during the pour!!!!!!!

You'll love the radiant! Good luck.

/ Finally after almost 2 years.............
Stupid question, but how do you cut joints when there is pex in the concrete?

I plan on cutting them only 1" deep and when I laid out the pex I did so that where my cuts would be there would be very little tube in those places. Then where there was pex I fished a 12 to 15" piece of 3/4 grey conduit around the pex to the area of the cut to somewhat protect it. I'll look for signs of conduit chunks as I cut the joints and if I see any I know im too deep. Also in these spots I lowered the pex as much as I could just in case. The first 3 shows how I laid out the pex and the conduit covers where cut will be and the 4th shows where I added conduit to places where there would likely be cracks forming, in places like square pier corners and such.

Attachments

• DSC02585.JPG
    DSC02585.JPG
    813.4 KB · Views: 326
  • saw cut path west to east.JPG
    saw cut path west to east.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 186
  • slab division north to south.jpg
    slab division north to south.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 225
  • DSC02596.JPG
    DSC02596.JPG
    727 KB · Views: 247
   / Finally after almost 2 years.............
I noticed in the last picture a pex piece laying on the ground that is not connected to anything. Hoping this is just a piece left over.

You scared me for a minute but yeah the clean up crew must have let that laying there.:D