converting a brush hog

/ converting a brush hog #1  

halltrash85

Tractor
ford 8n
what size engine does a 5ft 3pt brush hog need to be self powered,will a 6hp with a 6to1 gear reducer do it

/ converting a brush hog #2  
I would say no way on the 6hp.
I have a 5'er and used to use it with a Ford 8N which is 24 or 29hp. I used to raise cutter up, back over palmettas and lower it slowly and it would eat them pretty good.

/ converting a brush hog #3  
What size engine does a 5ft 3pt brush hog need
to be self powered? Will a 6hp with a 6 to 1 gear
reducer do it

The brush mower would not mow very well if at all
if it even managed to rotate as the needed torque
is not there.

You would need a 4 cylinder wisconsin off of a
Hesston or New Idea windrower/haybine.

The issue then becomes whether you can move
the mower without wheels because of the added weight.

/ converting a brush hog #4  
ditto on the wisonson engine.

otherwise.. figure about 5hp per foot as a rough estimate...

6hp wouldn't even power a 5' finish mower..

/ converting a brush hog #5  
what size engine does a 5ft 3pt brush hog need to be self powered,will a 6hp with a 6to1 gear reducer do it

I wouldn't go less then a 20 HP engine...even then, I don't think the torque would be adequate.

/ converting a brush hog #6  
not on a 20hp whizzbang lawnmower engine anyway.

if it ws a REAL 20hp engine.. like out of a older small-ish tractor.. I'd probably trust it.. :) say something out of a farmall C etc..

/ converting a brush hog #8  
DR uses a 15 and 20hp engines on their self powered 44" pull-behind brush mowers. You could try your 6 hp:thumbsup: I wonder if it would even turn the rotational inertia of tthe cutter?

DRョ Power Equipment - ATV Mower | 20 HP Pull Behind Mower| DR Power Equipment

After getting rid of those dam horses I needed something light to mow the pasture because it is too wet until about the end of July before I could get my tractor and brush hog in there to mow one area, so I bought one of those to mow the pasture. Worked great, it would mow 12-inch + grass easy, but the grandsons complained it didn't mow low enough to play baseball:rolleyes:. Sold it and bought a commercial Toro zero turn.

/ converting a brush hog #9  
i had a craftsman trail mower.. sold it.. couldn't keep up with pasture grass that a real hog could.... no room for 2nd best in mowing gear at my place.. :)

/ converting a brush hog #10  
6hp.....no way.

20-25hp is what you need. I think that it would have adequate torque, cause keep in mind that a 6:1 reducer would be used to get down to the ~540rpm input. So torque goes up. HP is HP. Torque can be overcome with gearing. But gear changes dont make hp go up. HP remains constant (less any losses from friction).

Also arent going to want to make it a direct drive. You will need a centrifugal clutch or I doubt you would ever start it.