Tractor mounted trencher

/ Tractor mounted trencher #1  

kenjroy1

Tractor
Kubota BX1500
Hi everyone; Here's a project I just completed in case anyone might find it helpfull. This trencher fits my Kubota BX1500. It's for home use only, and will be used very little (I suspect). I built it as a project to work on and a challenge of some sort. I have a total of about $240 invested in it. I bought a used gearbox in a salvage yard, and a new PTO shaft from ASC. Those two items cost me $180. The rest was iron, bolts, paint, etc. It diggs a 2.50 inch trench 8 inches deep. Thats more than I'll ever need.

Attachments

• trencher 2 (1).jpg
    trencher 2 (1).jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,321
  • trencher 3.jpg
    trencher 3.jpg
    1,014.8 KB · Views: 1,506
   / Tractor mounted trencher #2  
kenjroy1 said:
Hi everyone; Here's a project I just completed in case anyone might find it helpfull. This trencher fits my Kubota BX1500. It's for home use only, and will be used very little (I suspect). I built it as a project to work on and a challenge of some sort. I have a total of about $240 invested in it. I bought a used gearbox in a salvage yard, and a new PTO shaft from ASC. Those two items cost me $180. The rest was iron, bolts, paint, etc. It diggs a 2.50 inch trench 8 inches deep. Thats more than I'll ever need.

Very nice!

What is the intended purpose sprinkler piping? Or something totally different

Maybe some video on YouTube?

Good job!

/ Tractor mounted trencher #3  
That's very cool. Great work on it.

Chad

/ Tractor mounted trencher #4  
I agree - very, very cool!

/ Tractor mounted trencher #5  
Does the dirt pile up beside the trench or fall back into the hole? Did you offset the teeth so it would throw the dirt to the side? Thanks for the idea and posting.

*Hmmm, I've got a used up 4 ft bush hog that would lend itself to a project like this quite nicely. And I need to install some underground wiring. Seeing things like this is why I should not spend so much time on this site. Starts taking notes and drawing up plans*

/ Tractor mounted trencher #6  
Looks Good. Hope it works as well as it looks.

/ Tractor mounted trencher
The dirt piles up next to the trench, but some falls back into the trench. It's not a problem for me, since I won't be using it much. I plan to narrow the blade of a hoe, and use that to rake the loose dirt out of the trench. I'm not sure what you mean with "offset". Perhaps you could explain, so I could make modifications. Thanks for the input.

/ Tractor mounted trencher #8  
I was just thinking out loud with the offset teeth comment. In your pictures, it appears the teeth are perpendicular to the drive wheel and square to the ground. I think I would have angled the teeth so that one corner hits the ground before the other side. Think like an old moldboard plow shape or chainsaw tooth shape. I thought it might throw the dirt farther to the angled side and out of the trench better. Hopefully that made a little sense. Just pondering out loud, not knocking your work at all. And I'm not an engineer of any kind either. If it works well for what you're doing, I'm not sure I'd mess with changing it. Thanks again for the idea.

/ Tractor mounted trencher
No offense taken. I think you may be on to something here. I might add a few more "raker" type teeth angled the way you suggest. Thanks for the idea.

/ Tractor mounted trencher #10  
IT looks like to me that if one took the gaurd, and put a chute, that is angles off to one side, that just clears the digging teeth, that it would throw most of the dirt off to the side, and possibly a follower, (forget the proper term)