Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota BX1500

Default Tractor mounted trencher

Hi everyone; Here's a project I just completed in case anyone might find it helpfull. This trencher fits my kubota BX1500. It's for home use only, and will be used very little (I suspect). I built it as a project to work on and a challenge of some sort. I have a total of about $240 invested in it. I bought a used gearbox in a salvage yard, and a new PTO shaft from ASC. Those two items cost me $180. The rest was iron, bolts, paint, etc. It diggs a 2.50 inch trench 8 inches deep. Thats more than I'll ever need.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -trencher-2-1-jpg   -trencher-3-jpg  

Tractor
    2008 Kubota b2920

Quote Originally Posted by kenjroy1
    Hi everyone; Here's a project I just completed in case anyone might find it helpfull. This trencher fits my kubota BX1500. It's for home use only, and will be used very little (I suspect). I built it as a project to work on and a challenge of some sort. I have a total of about $240 invested in it. I bought a used gearbox in a salvage yard, and a new PTO shaft from ASC. Those two items cost me $180. The rest was iron, bolts, paint, etc. It diggs a 2.50 inch trench 8 inches deep. Thats more than I'll ever need.
    Very nice!

What is the intended purpose sprinkler piping? Or something totally different

Maybe some video on YouTube?

Good job!
    ericher69
    IAFF Local 849

Tractor
    Sears Garden Tractor with home built loader

Default Re: Tractor mounted trencher

That's very cool. Great work on it.

Chad
    Remodeling 100 year old house
    I'm buying a 100 year old house that is in need of a serious makeover. I will be posting pics of the remodeling in the thread at the link.

Updated with new pics on 3/30/2015

Tractor
    Kubota BX24; John Deere 4020

I agree - very, very cool!

Gold Member
    Tractor
    MF 150, TO-35, John Deere 5065E, Caterpiller 953 track loader

Does the dirt pile up beside the trench or fall back into the hole? Did you offset the teeth so it would throw the dirt to the side? Thanks for the idea and posting.

*Hmmm, I've got a used up 4 ft bush hog that would lend itself to a project like this quite nicely. And I need to install some underground wiring. Seeing things like this is why I should not spend so much time on this site. Starts taking notes and drawing up plans*

Tractor
    traded MF135 for a 2605 4x4

Looks Good. Hope it works as well as it looks.

Tractor
    Kubota BX1500

The dirt piles up next to the trench, but some falls back into the trench. It's not a problem for me, since I won't be using it much. I plan to narrow the blade of a hoe, and use that to rake the loose dirt out of the trench. I'm not sure what you mean with "offset". Perhaps you could explain, so I could make modifications. Thanks for the input.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    MF 150, TO-35, John Deere 5065E, Caterpiller 953 track loader

I was just thinking out loud with the offset teeth comment. In your pictures, it appears the teeth are perpendicular to the drive wheel and square to the ground. I think I would have angled the teeth so that one corner hits the ground before the other side. Think like an old moldboard plow shape or chainsaw tooth shape. I thought it might throw the dirt farther to the angled side and out of the trench better. Hopefully that made a little sense. Just pondering out loud, not knocking your work at all. And I'm not an engineer of any kind either. If it works well for what you're doing, I'm not sure I'd mess with changing it. Thanks again for the idea.

Tractor
    Kubota BX1500

No offense taken. I think you may be on to something here. I might add a few more "raker" type teeth angled the way you suggest. Thanks for the idea.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    JD 4020

IT looks like to me that if one took the gaurd, and put a chute, that is angles off to one side, that just clears the digging teeth, that it would throw most of the dirt off to the side, and possibly a follower, (forget the proper term)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast