Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Ventrac, Steiner

Default Re: wood splitter 4 way head.

To keep your current splitter valve that came on the machine, you would need another valve to run the wedge lift. Since i doubt that you current splitter valve is pb capable you need to plumb a valve that is pb capable before the splitter valve. With power beyond, the hydraulic return can be plumbed to another valve instead of returning straight to the tank. If the valve isnot power beyond, plumbing the return to another valve could result in the first valve cracking under pressure since the return side of the valve is not rated for high pressure. If you find a two spool valve, where both valves are contained in one valve assembly, you can use it to operate both the ram and the wedge lift, but such a valve may or maynot have a detent for the return stoke of the ram. Another option would be to use a selector valve plumbed in after your ram valve. With this type of valve, you simply pull/push the valve to select the hydraulic circuit you wish to operate and then use the one ram valve you already have to operate either the wedge, or the ram, but not both at the same time. I suspect this would make the wedge cylinder lift way to fast and you wouldnt have anyway to reduce the pressure to the lift cylinder. Not anyway unless you also bought a flow control and a pressure relief valve to plumb into the circuit, but then you could have already just bought the pb valve you really needed in the first place. I dont know the flow rating on a mtd splitter but here is a valve that will work up to 8gpm for $95. Surplus Center - 1 SPOOL 8 GPM PRINCE MB11B5C1 DA VALVE
    They have larger valves for not much more money.
    You can save a lot of money if you go to your local scrap yard and rob a valve, or whole valve bank, off a scraped piece of equipment

There is nothing wrong with using a electric winch to lift the wedge, power up and gravity down, pretty simple. I dont know about hooking a battery to the BS engine. If it doent already have electric start, it could get expensive. I think the rtv would be your best source for electric current.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    kubota b3200: kubota b7800: kubota rtv900

so i take it that power beyond is kinda like a second place for the hyd fluid to return or continuation for that hyd fluid so it doesn't over pressurize? kinda like a form of relief? i think i get it. pb is only needed when there is 2 or more functions capable of happening? i think i will lean towards the electric winch idea as i like simple and i can actually handle fabricating that together, the hyds would be difficult for me at this time with my experience.

muddstopper, do you think that the weight of the 4 way head and the way it moves in the "c" channel bracket would allow it to "gravity" down on its own when i activate the winch? i plan on making the head 16" high and each wing extending 8" out, so 16" by 16" so to say. i feel that would be heavy enough, but would it bind or would wood chips,bark,gunk jam the "slide" action in the "c" channel? any advice there? i also like the electric winch idea because it would allow for the head to raise itself up with the pieces of wood being split if they started to jam as it would just lift the cable up a bit more (only if i mount the winch on a high point). not the best way, but simple for me i think. instead of having a tall rod/platform to get in the way at the back of the splitter, i would like to try to incorporate the winch in place of where you have the hyd raise/lower cylinder. just have the cable pull the cam and gravity take care of the other direction instead of the hyd cylinder push and pulling. you think that could work?

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Ventrac, Steiner

Sometimes I do get a splinter stuck between the wedge and the guides i have welded on the backbone. I usually just push the wedge to the top of its stroke and it will free up. My cylinder is not pulling the wedge back down, it only pushes it up, I let gravity pull it back down. I see no reason why hooking your winch cable in place of the hydraulic cylinder would cause any problems lifting the wedge.

I know this is something that you want to do using the splitter that you already own, and there is nothing wrong with that, but I am going to make a suggestion.

The splitter you have is currently working as it was intended to work. Instead of modifying it, why not just build what you want and sell the one you have. Everybody seems to want things right now, but with just a little patience and looking around, you can probably source the materials needed to build a really nice splitter that will do what you want it to do. I think you said your wood for this year was already split, that gives you a whole year to locate parts and build a splitter. My biggest expense in building my splitter was buying the hydraulic hoses, about $300. I found the hbeam, and all the wedge and slide materials in the scrap yard for $0.10lb. I gave $10 for the valve bank, the hydraulic pump I picked up out of the dirt at the scrap yard and they gave it to me. I did have to buy the pump mount and coupling, about $100. The trailer was a old boat trailer, free and the 25hp engine I salvaged from a old hydroseeder. The ram cylinder came off a old dump trailer. I didnt keep exact records, but I know I have less than $1000 in the whole setup. I built it in my shop in about a wk last winter, working just a few hrs a day. My shop isnt heated so I mostly worked from about 11am to about 3pm. I did spend several wks scrongeing parts, but once i had everything gathered, it didnt take anytime to put it together. I guess it all depends on what you want and how long you are willing to wait for it, but once you get your new splitter built, you can probably sell the mtd and get most, if not all, of your money back for the new splitter build. If you can fab the new wedge for the mtd, you can fab the splitter you really want. I dont mine offering suggestions or helping, which ever direction you choose to go, but I have found that sometimes its easier to start all over than to try redesigning someone elses work.

Your profile says you are located in NC Pa, is that North Central Pa or NC and Pa. If in NC, what part.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    kubota b3200: kubota b7800: kubota rtv900

Quote Originally Posted by muddstopper View Post

Your profile says you are located in NC Pa, is that North Central Pa or NC and Pa. If in NC, what part.
    durham! no just kidding. i am however a big Duke Blue Devils fan in the college sports world. always have been since 1991. i have lived in north central pennsylvania all my life.

point well made about just building one from scratch. i have thought along the way that maybe the mtd is not up to the task, but here is my thoughts on that. i have a split fire 3ph splitter that splits in both directions. i like that. quicker and easier then the mtd. the split fire is a 13 ton and has split everything i need it to. the mtd is a 25 ton and i believe 2 stager. i do fire wood as a side business and sell it, so i don't do the knots and crotches and burley stuff much at all, so i figure the mtd would better serve me as a 4 way splitter. i have never tried a 4 way before and actually had the mtd half sold, but the buyer wasn't paying it off, so i got it back as it is worth more to me to keep and modify and use then to go through the monkey business i was going through selling it. i figure if i like it, i keep it. it is handy to me to have 2 splitters at times. if i didn't like it, i could sell it for a bit more as a 4 way then a single and i would have the learning experience to boot. i enjoy learning when i have the time. i learn best hands on, so i have it set in my mind to do this, with a friends help and your help too. i am going to start the modifications here in a bit (neighbor still needs to borrow it soon) then we will get at it. i will start pictures too, before and after. i am a bit excited at this and think i am going to really enjoy it. it is just a simple thing for the most part, but to me i am learning and enjoying it.

you are right though about just building one from scratch. i would like that too, but want to start small for now. if i did go from scratch, it would have a super fast cycle time, hyd adj 4 way like yours, log lift/table, and full detent valves in both directions, and auto return if there is such a thing. and i would build it higher off the ground. that is a reason i like the 3ph split fire, as i can put it at any height i want. really saves the back.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12