Trash & Treasures + What is it's

/ Trash & Treasures + What is it's #171  
Jim looks like the milk can dolly I have used. but never to a train.
Was it used in the tombstone mines? they used nitro before dynamite was invented. maybe a dolly to carry it into the mine.
But Benson was a later town so just don't know what it could be used for.
ken

/ Trash & Treasures + What is it's #172  
I think maybe I remember seeing those moving baggage/frieght boxes around the railroad stations many moons ago.

/ Trash & Treasures + What is it's
I think maybe I remember seeing those moving baggage/frieght boxes around the railroad stations many moons ago.

Yep It is a R/R hand truck used on the freight platform. Kind of a Goofy design & to the best of my knowledge only used by the R/R's.
I think one of the reasons for the design was for sacks of grain. But ????

Sorry Ken, not used in the mines. Do you remember Apache Powder Co about 1/2 way between Benson & Tombstone??? It blew up twice when I was a kid. Could be heard & felt all the way to Tombstone. It is still there and working, making dynamite. I knew one of the guys there that poured the nitroglycerine. Don't remember why but it was poured from a height. If memory is correct the explosions were in the part that makes Gun Cotton.
Ever do any blasting???

/ Trash & Treasures + What is it's #174  
I guessed the RR station but can't figure what the sole purpose would be. Looks like barrels or flasks of some kind.

Harry K

/ Trash & Treasures + What is it's #175  
I hadn't thought of it in years until I saw that truck, but remember going to the Utica NY station with my parents in the 40's/50's to pick up relatives and sometimes freight. That was a big trip then, all of 12 miles and we would always stop at a dairy store near the station to get a cone of frozen custard. It may seem strange to the younger folks on here, but railway express was the UPS and Federal Express of those days and you could actually get a package from across the country maybe within a week. Most of the freight was in wooden crates and they'd come scooting it out on one of those trucks.

I guessed the RR station but can't figure what the sole purpose would be. Looks like barrels or flasks of some kind.

Harry K

Hi Harry,
There must have been some reason for the design. But??? It was used to move most everything. We had one similar at the lumber yard that I worked at as a kid, but the lifting shoe was longer. Mostly used for loading & unloading cement sacks.

/ Trash & Treasures + What is it's #177  
Yep It is a R/R hand truck used on the freight platform. Kind of a Goofy design & to the best of my knowledge only used by the R/R's.
I think one of the reasons for the design was for sacks of grain. But ????

Sorry Ken, not used in the mines. Do you remember Apache Powder Co about 1/2 way between Benson & Tombstone??? It blew up twice when I was a kid. Could be heard & felt all the way to Tombstone. It is still there and working, making dynamite. I knew one of the guys there that poured the nitroglycerine. Don't remember why but it was poured from a height. If memory is correct the explosions were in the part that makes Gun Cotton.
Ever do any blasting???

Jim always stayed away from dangerous activities. Watched a lot of blasting of rock for pipelines and visit friends in mines watch them prepare for the explosive load.
Reading History of Tombstone when first discovered the Nitroglycerine was unloaded from ship at Yuma and hauled by wagon to Tombstone. and any static or spark would set it off.
Yes remember Apache Power co. Also a railroad load blew up several cars went. Never heard the cause.

On the hand truck or dolly I have one that the lift bar is square to get under trunks or boxes
The one your showing is for round items. the rest on back side is to keep from spilling backwards so liquid containers. cream cans or milk cans.

Very light snow here today how about your area. Time to think travel.
ken

/ Trash & Treasures + What is it's #178  
Hi Harry,
There must have been some reason for the design. But??? It was used to move most everything. We had one similar at the lumber yard that I worked at as a kid, but the lifting shoe was longer. Mostly used for loading & unloading cement sacks.
This got my curiosity up and I poked around the net a little and found a mention of the round ones being used for barrels and kegs, but can't figure why they would be any better than a regular one. I have an all steel one that was designed for moving 30 gallon drums of bulk grease and oil around garages but it just has 2 hooks for the rim on the bottom of the handles, with nothing sticking out front and rounded back straps to cradle the barrel,

This got my curiosity up and I poked around the net a little and found a mention of the round ones being used for barrels and kegs, but can't figure why they would be any better than a regular one. I have an all steel one that was designed for moving 30 gallon drums of bulk grease and oil around garages but it just has 2 hooks for the rim on the bottom of the handles, with nothing sticking out front and rounded back straps to cradle the barrel,

I don't think it was designed for use with barrels.

I did find some information the Intertype object. It was part of or used with type setting equipment for news papers.

Pot heat was controlled by a coiled flat liquid expansion system which changed contacts off and on to operate a large "clapper switch" relay box about a cubic foot in size. Mouthpiece heat was controlled by variable resistance rheostat in this system and for years to come.

It is way different than this picture. Maybe not the same part???

intertype-parts-catalog-1944-0600grey-388-metal-feeder-.jpg

/ Trash & Treasures + What is it's #180  
Just bumping thread back up. These items no big deal. Wrench is a 15/16--7/8 made by Armstrong (USA).Wrench I believe over 50 years old belonged to my DAD. Rope tree hook is made by A.B.Chance model1849 500weight Hand water pump not that old bought it cause it did not say made in China on it. Can't remember where I got it ! :mur:

Boone

Afriend of mine used one of those pumps when he built his house , the first thing he did was put his artisen well in. He bought 2 well covers and mounted the pump permently on one of the covers and every spring he would put it back out there because it was near his garden . He always left a couple of cups with it and it was a nice refreashing drink on a hot summer day.