Trash & Treasures + What is it's

/ Trash & Treasures + What is it's #11  
Oh, and above the picks looks to be a railroad hammer, the long head would help you drive the spikes without busting the handle on the rail...?

/ Trash & Treasures + What is it's #12  
Link to an 1896 tool catalog is below. Click on the tool name, then scroll to the bottom of the page for the old tool catalog page.

Old Woodworking Tools-Old Wood Working Tools - 1897

The picture after the spider is a ball-peen hammer, two draw knives, and an adze head.

Bruce

/ Trash & Treasures + What is it's
Thanks to all for the information.

The old "Treasures" rescued this time were mostly out side hanging on the outside of the black smith shop.
Inside, when I get a lot of junk & trash cleared away are some good things.
Hand cranked drill press that I used a few years ago to drill some steel with.
Timber framing Drill -Complete set of pipe dies & handle - Several odd ball pipe threading handles & some dies to match.

If someone knows the name of the little ratchet wrench in the picture please let me know. Thanks Pictures are the old building that I will be cleaning out and hopefully building some similar here.

wagon shop 1.jpgwheel shop 1.jpgwood shop 1.jpgwood shop 2.jpgratchet.jpg
There should a lot of other old and useable tools, for forging. wood working & wagon related.

Attachments

• black smith shop.jpg
    black smith shop.jpg
    846.8 KB · Views: 178
   / Trash & Treasures + What is it's #14  
My mistake -- you are right -- it is a cant hook not a peavey - I have both and have always used the cant hook -- I find the peavey to be a PITA:eek: --

/ Trash & Treasures + What is it's #15  
In between the 2 draw knives is something that I don't have clue as to what it is or real use.

That is an adze head. Kind of like a "sideways" axe, but has a slight curve, and the bevel is on the side toward you when in use. Used (for example) to flatten rough planks, or make a flat edge on logs.

/ Trash & Treasures + What is it's #16  
Some timbers in our barn shaped with hand tools.

/ Trash & Treasures + What is it's #17  
The anvil is a Peter Wright. English. Are there any numbers on it, should be 3 numbers.
The anvil is marked in English Hundred weight measurement.

Bill

/ Trash & Treasures + What is it's #18  
Just to get technical (like the peavey comment):D a pick with one pointed end and a flat blade on the other (as in your pictures) is called a matlock. The wrench is called a double alligator wrench.

Last edited:
   / Trash & Treasures + What is it's
Just to get technical (like the peavey comment):D a pick with one pointed end and a flat blade on the other (as in your pictures) is called a matlock

Thank You.
I do have an adze and its in pretty good shape.
What is the pin for on the Matlock???

/ Trash & Treasures + What is it's #20  
I think it's a "maddock". (Maybe another name for matlock?) I've also heard them called bog hoes. We used them for digging trenches.