Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
    Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota, John Deere, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

Default Re: Trash & Treasures + What is it's

Dad collected and used a variety of tool on our farm, we most often used a "cutter Maddock".

"The head of a pick mattock combines a pick and an adze. It is "one of the best tools for grubbing in hard soils and rocky terrain".[2] The adze may be sharpened, but the pick rarely is; it is generally squared rather than beveled."

"The head of a cutter mattock combines an axe with an adze. Thus, it has two flat blades, facing away from each other, and one rotated 90 relative to the other. The blade is designed to be used for cutting through roots."
    Thread on helpful tractor abbreviations: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/o...-acronyms.html

Tractor
    1993 NH 2120 (the best), 1974 MF 135 (sold, but solid), 1947 Farmall A (bought, sold, bought back, sold again), 1956 MH50 lbt (sold, in 1980, darn it)

In Alaska 40 years ago we used a Pulaski, nickname for the same cutter mattock 3R describes. It was for digging ditches and cutting roots that were in the way. Good thing we were young!
    The adze in the pic may be for hewing, with the pick end for pulling a log to you? Most beams in colonial days were hewed with a broad axe, sharpened on one side only. Adze might have been for barking or some such. If its blade is cupped, maybe for hollowing out a log or vessel.
    The tool that gets me is the handsaw with the curved blade and tight-in handle. Anyone seen one of them before or know the use for it?
    Jim
    "Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly" Mae West

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Jinma 284(Spirit fel), MF 135 (MF200 fel)

What is the pin for on the Matlock???
    Sorry Crash -- my comment on the matlock (or mattock)is the pick with the handle -- the adze head is probably a coopers adze - the pin is for driving the ring on barrels

Tractor
    New Holland TC-45

Quote Originally Posted by studor View Post
    Sorry Crash -- my comment on the matlock (or mattock)is the pick with the handle -- the adze head is probably a coopers adze - the pin is for driving the ring on barrels
    Thank you- have used the picks with a wide side for years and never knew their name. Actually have 2 or 3 sizes & slightly different shapes.

Not part of my rescued treasures is an old Metal Craftsman circular saw. Picked it up at a garage sale. Good saw, no brush arc and will cut full blade depth without bogging. Got it and a good 12 ton hydrolic jack for $25.

One other treasure I picked up (Pictures later) is a 6" by 48" belt sander. Just says Sears & Roebuck Co. Not Craftsman. Its in good shape. Need to get a 2 HP 1725 RPM motor for it.

Still no guesses on the the little open jaw ratcheting wrench??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -ratchet-jpg  
    ::"I STARTED out with nothing....I still have most of it."

New Holland TC45 1,300+ hours - FEL - back hoe - post hole digger - Hydraulic Gannon - cement mixer - pressure washer - 1975 Dodge 500 flat bed - 1974 chevy C65 6 yard dump truck.
    All home made by me. loading forks - 2 drags - roller - Sheep's Foot - Pusher (to unload flat bed truck.) - pickle fork digger - Log splitter -

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4240, B7800 & BX2660

I like the B&D drill.

Tractor
    New Holland TC-45

Thank you, really appreciate the links, good information. I book marked the Alligator wrench site. Nice to see they are being made again. Will get 1 of the new models, like the long handle & thread chaser. Once someone has used the tool, you will never want to be without it.

Tried again to up load some pictures - It's still not working - there is a thread on the problem. So it's not just me.
    ::"I STARTED out with nothing....I still have most of it."

New Holland TC45 1,300+ hours - FEL - back hoe - post hole digger - Hydraulic Gannon - cement mixer - pressure washer - 1975 Dodge 500 flat bed - 1974 chevy C65 6 yard dump truck.
    All home made by me. loading forks - 2 drags - roller - Sheep's Foot - Pusher (to unload flat bed truck.) - pickle fork digger - Log splitter -

Upstate NY- see the BIG lake- look just below it...
    Tractor
    Kubota B2320

Quote Originally Posted by chipsndust
    I think it's a "maddock". (Maybe another name for matlock?) I've also heard them called bog hoes. We used them for digging trenches.
    Actually it's spelled Mattock- I looked up when I read it in the Lord of the Rings

Thomas
    No matter where you go; there you are...

Tractor
    Kubota B2320

Quote Originally Posted by TripleR
    Some timbers in our barn shaped with hand tools.
    Those are most definitely either adze or broadaxe mark indicating hand hewing.

Nice!

Thomas

Tractor
    Kubota B2320

Quote Originally Posted by crash325

Thank you- have used the picks with a wide side for years and never knew their name. Actually have 2 or 3 sizes & slightly different shapes.

Not part of my rescued treasures is an old Metal Craftsman circular saw. Picked it up at a garage sale. Good saw, no brush arc and will cut full blade depth without bogging. Got it and a good 12 ton hydrolic jack for $25.

One other treasure I picked up (Pictures later) is a 6" by 48" belt sander. Just says Sears & Roebuck Co. Not Craftsman. Its in good shape. Need to get a 2 HP 1725 RPM motor for it.

Still no guesses on the the little open jaw ratcheting wrench??
    You said it already- alligator wrench for universal fit.

I was also interested that you have several tow hooks there-they are the oval rings with the T-shaped extension made to fit into the frame holes of the towed vehicle.

They now sell these at Northern Tool for a pretty good whack...

Thomas

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast