Trash & Treasures + What is it's

/ Trash & Treasures + What is it's #21  
Dad collected and used a variety of tool on our farm, we most often used a "cutter Maddock".

"The head of a pick mattock combines a pick and an adze. It is "one of the best tools for grubbing in hard soils and rocky terrain".[2] The adze may be sharpened, but the pick rarely is; it is generally squared rather than beveled."

"The head of a cutter mattock combines an axe with an adze. Thus, it has two flat blades, facing away from each other, and one rotated 90° relative to the other. The blade is designed to be used for cutting through roots."

/ Trash & Treasures + What is it's #22  
In Alaska 40 years ago we used a Pulaski, nickname for the same cutter mattock 3R describes. It was for digging ditches and cutting roots that were in the way. Good thing we were young!
The adze in the pic may be for hewing, with the pick end for pulling a log to you? Most beams in colonial days were hewed with a broad axe, sharpened on one side only. Adze might have been for barking or some such. If its blade is cupped, maybe for hollowing out a log or vessel.
The tool that gets me is the handsaw with the curved blade and tight-in handle. Anyone seen one of them before or know the use for it?
Jim

/ Trash & Treasures + What is it's #23  
What is the pin for on the Matlock???
Sorry Crash -- my comment on the matlock (or mattock)is the pick with the handle -- the adze head is probably a coopers adze - the pin is for driving the ring on barrels

/ Trash & Treasures + What is it's
Sorry Crash -- my comment on the matlock (or mattock)is the pick with the handle -- the adze head is probably a coopers adze - the pin is for driving the ring on barrels

Thank you- have used the picks with a wide side for years and never knew their name. Actually have 2 or 3 sizes & slightly different shapes.

Not part of my rescued treasures is an old Metal Craftsman circular saw. Picked it up at a garage sale. Good saw, no brush arc and will cut full blade depth without bogging. Got it and a good 12 ton hydrolic jack for $25.

One other treasure I picked up (Pictures later) is a 6" by 48" belt sander. Just says Sears & Roebuck Co. Not Craftsman. Its in good shape. Need to get a 2 HP 1725 RPM motor for it.

Still no guesses on the the little open jaw ratcheting wrench??

Attachments

• ratchet.jpg
    ratchet.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 156
   / Trash & Treasures + What is it's #26  
I like the B&D drill.

/ Trash & Treasures + What is it's

Thank you, really appreciate the links, good information. I book marked the Alligator wrench site. Nice to see they are being made again. Will get 1 of the new models, like the long handle & thread chaser. Once someone has used the tool, you will never want to be without it.

Tried again to up load some pictures - It's still not working - there is a thread on the problem. So it's not just me.

/ Trash & Treasures + What is it's #28  
chipsndust said:
I think it's a "maddock". (Maybe another name for matlock?) I've also heard them called bog hoes. We used them for digging trenches.

Actually it's spelled Mattock- I looked up when I read it in the Lord of the Rings

Thomas
No matter where you go; there you are...

/ Trash & Treasures + What is it's #30  
crash325 said:
Thank you- have used the picks with a wide side for years and never knew their name. Actually have 2 or 3 sizes & slightly different shapes.

Not part of my rescued treasures is an old Metal Craftsman circular saw. Picked it up at a garage sale. Good saw, no brush arc and will cut full blade depth without bogging. Got it and a good 12 ton hydrolic jack for $25.

One other treasure I picked up (Pictures later) is a 6" by 48" belt sander. Just says Sears & Roebuck Co. Not Craftsman. Its in good shape. Need to get a 2 HP 1725 RPM motor for it.

Still no guesses on the the little open jaw ratcheting wrench??

You said it already- alligator wrench for universal fit.

I was also interested that you have several tow hooks there-they are the oval rings with the T-shaped extension made to fit into the frame holes of the towed vehicle.

They now sell these at Northern Tool for a pretty good whack...

Thomas
No matter where you go; there you are...