Trash & Treasures + What is it's

/ Trash & Treasures + What is it's #31  
jimmysisson said:
In Alaska 40 years ago we used a Pulaski, nickname for the same cutter mattock 3R describes. It was for digging ditches and cutting roots that were in the way. Good thing we were young!
The adze in the pic may be for hewing, with the pick end for pulling a log to you? Most beams in colonial days were hewed with a broad axe, sharpened on one side only. Adze might have been for barking or some such. If its blade is cupped, maybe for hollowing out a log or vessel.
The tool that gets me is the handsaw with the curved blade and tight-in handle. Anyone seen one of them before or know the use for it?
Jim

My dad was a vollie fireman and they used polaski tools like that for forced entries, general demo, and ventilating roofs

Thomas
No matter where you go; there you are...

/ Trash & Treasures + What is it's #32  
Those are most definitely either adze or broadaxe mark indicating hand hewing.

Nice!

Thomas

It really is an interesting barn. It has been reconfigured over the years. Some of the timbers are from a saw mill and some by hand. They are held together by pegs. My wife's uncle is in his 90's and remembers playing in it as a child.

/ Trash & Treasures + What is it's #33  
For comparison price wise, here is a used ebay peter wright anvil
PETER WRIGHT ANVIL 131 lbs. | eBay

That is a nice coal forge you had behind it. Looks like it was used oh not so long ago.

Peter Wright anvils are always in demand with the wrought iron crowd- good quality. I have one along with an older one. Peter Wright anvils were made 1860-1880 or there abouts. Nice collection of stuff- keep it out of the scrappers hands!

/ Trash & Treasures + What is it's
You said it already- alligator wrench for universal fit.

I was also interested that you have several tow hooks there-they are the oval rings with the T-shaped extension made to fit into the frame holes of the towed vehicle.

They now sell these at Northern Tool for a pretty good whack...

Thomas

Hi Phy,
I have a couple of "T" Hooks (common name) that i have been using the 2/3 years. On those I have grab hooks. In the backhoe bucket I made a couple of "Key Holes". Most of the new ones I have seen they come with a large loop. Not sure if I'll put loops on these or slip hooks.
Thanks Phyi.

I would like to hear from some of you that have or use a 6"X48" belt sander. Motor horse power and pulley sizes.
My guess is 2 HP at 1725 RPM geared down to about 1/2 speed.

/ Trash & Treasures + What is it's #35  
I have an anvil like yours, probably the same maker and was quoted $2 a lb by a blacksmith. Yours is in near perfect condition and better than mine.
Here's a pic of mine for comparison.

010.JPG

/ Trash & Treasures + What is it's #36  
forgeblast said:
The two draw knives are nice, next to them is an adz (in the picture with the ball peen hammer). The peavy is missing the front spike. All in all with some new wooden handles you have a nice set of tools.
Replacement 48 and 36 Long, Logging items in Hickory Handle Store store on eBay! sells new handles I used him for replacing handles on my peavy, and two adz great person to work with.

The peavy missing a front spike makes it a cant dog, or can't hook.

/ Trash & Treasures + What is it's #37  
Nobody mentioned the smelting pot, either. Looks like at one time he must have had a forge there, too.

Isn't a mattock a pick on one side and a slightly wider pick on the other, a grub hoe is a pick on one side and a wide hoe blade (like that one) on the other, and a pulaski is a hoe and an axe on the other ...?

Anybody ever read any of the Eric Sloane books?

/ Trash & Treasures + What is it's #38  
   / Trash & Treasures + What is it's #39  
The long saw that is missing a handle was called a cross cut around here, used by two people to cut trees or logs. Seen a lot in competitions these days.

/ Trash & Treasures + What is it's
The melting pot was used when sealing cast iron sewer pipe. Pipes were slid together, a rope like piece of felt mashed in, then molten lead poured in tor a permanent seal. As I go through the sheds am pretty sure the dipper will be found. There was a white gas burner that the pot sat above. I also hope to find some of the gas fired torches that were used some what in the same manner or soldering pipes.

Grandad had a complete black smith shop, it's shown in 1 of the pictures. When I was about 4, grandad, uncle Harry & I went to an abandon mine & "Stole" the blower for his first forge. He also had another forge set up to heat Iron Wagon Tires. It was used to Shrink the iron tires (There was a tire shrink - mom gave it to a guy that claimed it was his.). After shrinking the whole tire was heated and hammered on the the wagon wheel. Once on ( the wood would usually catch fire.) water was poured over it to set the tire & put out the fire.

More later Things to do.

Thanks All for your help & input.
Jim