Trash & Treasures + What is it's

/ Trash & Treasures + What is it's #41  

Anybody ever read any of the Eric Sloane books?

I really like old tools. Sloane book sit proudly in my bookcase. I acquired it growing up in Massachusetts.

/ Trash & Treasures + What is it's #42  
In the picture with the dogs, you have a pick and a mattock. The mattock is used for digging.

The item with no handle similar to the mattock is an adze. It is used for woodworking such as making the flat sides on timbers. A broadaxe is also used for this purpose. Both are still used by Log Home manufacturers to give that chipped appearance on square logs. The adze was also used for making barrel staves. A smaller curved bladed adze was used to hollow out large wooden bowls and dough trays and similar items. The wrenches in the picture with the adze are known as "Monkey Wrenches". So mis-named after their inventor named Moncki.

/ Trash & Treasures + What is it's #43  
Monkey wrench - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

FuzzyWrench.gif

/ Trash & Treasures + What is it's
Old tools are fun & often very useful. I took a few more today, but have not taken them out of the camera. These pictures are some taken a few days ago that would not come up.

Nothing old about the GI cans (Jerry Cans), at one time I had several of them. One can is stamped on the bottom USMC 1979.
Got a little distracted yesterday - Had to kill another Rattle Snake, 8 rattles, about 4 ft long. Not quite as fat as last weeks. But a little meaner.

Did a little more restoration to day. Also took pictures of the "Boom" pole, made a couple of weeks ago. Will put that in a new thread.

Thanks to all who have added to this thread.
Jim

belt sander.jpgbelt-sander.jpgGI cans.jpgnew saw.jpgsander tag.jpg

/ Trash & Treasures + What is it's #45  
a rope like piece of felt mashed in, then molten lead poured in tor a permanent seal
The rope is called oakum and it was made out of and treated with many things -- you may also find other tools that look like twisted sqaure steel that have hooks on them etc for tamping the oakum into the joint

The rope is called oakum and it was made out of and treated with many things -- you may also find other tools that look like twisted sqaure steel that have hooks on them etc for tamping the oakum into the joint

Thank you for the name. I was about 4 or 6 the last time I watched the leading being done. At one time I may have know that at one time. But in the 66 years since then memory gets a little hazy. :confused3: :laughing:

As I am able to go through the blacksmith shop, wood shop, harness shed, wagon shed & a couple of other out buildings a lot more of the old things will be found & returned to use or usefulness.

AH the fun of finding Trash & Treasures.

Grumpy Old Man,
Jim

Here are a few more "Whats it's" The hammer looking object is not a Hammer. This one had been used as a hammer to the ex stream. Its now back close to original shape.

Pliers looking object is not a Dental tool, but it has something to do with teeth.

Other old piece of junk (instrument of torture), I'll bet some of you learned to hate at an early age. I Gave it a newer wood handle, grand son managed to break it in about 15 minuets. Now re-handled with a piece of conduit. A little hard to break.

A few more pick & adz pictures. The larger adz says Made In Austria & #3. Smaller 1 was made by "Beatt & Sons". The peg is square?? Still not sure what its for. As mentioned maybe for setting barrel hoops in place??

adz-s.jpgpicks-1.jpgpicks-2.jpgpicks-3.jpgpunch 1.jpgset 1.jpgset 2.jpgset 3.jpgset 4.jpgwacker 2.jpg

Ya Nailed it - :drink: - I should find 1 in good working order as the trash & treasures are dug out.

Weed Whip is still made & fairly common. Better than a string trimmer, easy to start, no fuel or electricity required. And it not only whips or cuts the weeds it whips your arms into shape. :dance1: