Trash & Treasures + What is it's

/ Trash & Treasures + What is it's #51  
The hammer is for making holes in hot metal, just put the bar stock over the hardy hole on the anvil and hit it through the heated metal.
The picks are all what I would consider garden picks or for digging.
Let me see if i can get out to my barn this weekend and take pics of the two adz i have one I use for wood the other for digging. Both are sharp.

/ Trash & Treasures + What is it's #52  
studor said:
I've always known it as a chain wrench -- my father had one we used on stubborn pipes in boilers -- they were made to be pipe wrenches but were useful in any number of ways where you need to turn something with leverage -- I still have Dads and use it frequently.
The peavey (log roller) with the hinged hook is not missing its spike -- it is the small bump on the iron collar on the end.
I think the pick axe is a miners pick -- used as you speculate in tight spaces

I would say this is the proper name for this. http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Chain-Wrench

Attachments

• image-132601585.jpg
    image-132601585.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 87
   / Trash & Treasures + What is it's #53  
I really like old tools. Sloane book sit proudly in my bookcase. I acquired it growing up in Massachusetts.

ditto- great source of early construction, tools, and blacksmithing

/ Trash & Treasures + What is it's #55  
Thank you for the name. I was about 4 or 6 the last time I watched the leading being done. At one time I may have know that at one time. But in the 66 years since then memory gets a little hazy. :confused3: :laughing:

As I am able to go through the blacksmith shop, wood shop, harness shed, wagon shed & a couple of other out buildings a lot more of the old things will be found & returned to use or usefulness.

AH the fun of finding Trash & Treasures.

Grumpy Old Man,
Jim

My farrier used to put oakum against the sole - under the pad, when he was shoeing with flat pads or snowball pads for winter. Just used the oakum as it was - no hot lead!

/ Trash & Treasures + What is it's
The hammer is for making holes in hot metal, just put the bar stock over the hardy hole on the anvil and hit it through the heated metal.
The picks are all what I would consider garden picks or for digging.
Let me see if i can get out to my barn this weekend and take pics of the two adz i have one I use for wood the other for digging. Both are sharp.

You nailed it on the punch (broach). Lots of different sizes & shapes. Hope to find more. If all goes well some of the Stakes should also turn up.

/ Trash & Treasures + What is it's #58  
   / Trash & Treasures + What is it's #59  
I can't use mine. It has a broken handle (about 20 years ago). Maybe I'll fix it someday, or not.

Bruce

/ Trash & Treasures + What is it's #60  
thecnwcaboose said:
Not to step on toes but the "chain wrench" is known as a chain tongs. I use one and a chain wrench, and several types of pipe wrenches in my work.

Chain Tongs - RIDGID Professional Tools

:)

Hmm. You might be correct. The tongs must let the chain go back through the jaw?? My chain wrench has hooks to latch it on. Looks like the principle is the same. Thanks for the correction.