Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 56789101118 ... LastLast
    Industry, Pa- - 5 mi. north of Ohio River
    Tractor
    Kioti DS4510, Ford '48 8N, Ford '53 Jubilee, Power King 1614

Default Re: Trash & Treasures + What is it's

Quote Originally Posted by forgeblast View Post
    The two draw knives are nice, next to them is an adz (in the picture with the ball peen hammer). The peavy is missing the front spike. All in all with some new wooden handles you have a nice set of tools.
    Replacement 48 and 36 Long, Logging items in Hickory Handle Store store on eBay! sells new handles I used him for replacing handles on my peavy, and two adz great person to work with.
    That is not a peavy, the peavy has a point on it as you said. What is shown here is a cant hook. No point, just the metal end with a short lip on it to grab the log. They are both sold and are used in logging. I have always used the cant hook. never did get to use the peavy. Just my worth.

Tom
    Kioti 2012 DS4510 with FEL
    Ford 1948 8N
    Ford 1953 Jubilee
    Power King 1614
    Various 3 pt. equipment
    Sold: Ford 1946 2N, Kioti 2011 DS3510

Tractor
    2003 NH TC30

Taking a crack at the tools on the forge:
    the rebar with the folded back over end is a twisting bar - slip it over stock with two flat sides and twist the stock. then there is a rake to move the coals around on the forge, the next is a set of tongs to to hold flat stock of a specific size -could double for round stock too, next tongs look like they are for 1/2" flat stock, next 1/2" round stock, then back to flat stock- the slightly curved upper jaw adds to the holding power- good for irregular pieces. There is a support to the right to support the rods and irons heating in te fire- adjustable height. All of those items could go right back in to use today!
    It looks like a rugged blower. I love this stuff.

Splitting axe with stops so you won't bury the head!, couple spoke shaves- seen them for years- handy tools- never picked one up. Those planes are too fancy for me!

I wan't much good with a scythe- my step father dropped his Austrian born father in a hayfield with one and a stone and came back later to a cut field.
    We turned it by hand.
    Love to see these tools!
    Last edited by tcreeley; 10-14-2012 at 08:22 PM.
    various items

Tractor
    New Holland TC-45

Quote Originally Posted by tcreeley View Post
    Taking a crack at the tools on the forge:
    the rebar with the folded back over end is a twisting bar - slip it over stock with two flat sides and twist the stock. then there is a rake to move the coals around on the forge, the next is a set of tongs to to hold flat stock of a specific size -could double for round stock too, next tongs look like they are for 1/2" flat stock, next 1/2" round stock, then back to flat stock- the slightly curved upper jaw adds to the holding power- good for irregular pieces. There is a support to the right to support the rods and irons heating in te fire- adjustable height. All of those items could go right back in to use today!
    It looks like a rugged blower. I love this stuff.

Splitting axe with stops so you won't bury the head!, couple spoke shaves- seen them for years- handy tools- never picked one up. Those planes are too fancy for me!

I wan't much good with a scythe- my step father dropped his Austrian born father in a hayfield with one and a stone and came back later to a cut field.
    We turned it by hand.
    Love to see these tools!
    YA did good TC. Only missed on the re-bar - Its just a handle for the hook being forged. But could be used as you described.
    Those old scythe's were real back breakers. We had 2 or 3 of them and they may still be in 1 of the out buildings.

More fun stuff.
    The chain hoist is old, but you still buy them new. It's not set up for any heavy lifting. About 2 /300 pounds.
    I do not think the old stove was ever used, as it still has the cover over the fume outlet. I have the parts to glue (Special glue) the front cowling back together and most of the back reflectors. The reflectors can still be purchased.
    I have no idea what the grabber with the wood & rope handles is or what it was used for.
    Also shown is another fun tool most country boys learned to hate at an early age.
    The old block & tackle had been stressed to the point both hooks were almost straight. In order to hang it up 1 hook was heated and bent enough to hang it up. The rasp with the bent handle was used for dressing horses hoof's when shoeing them. Have several others, even being rusty they are still sharp.
    All those old pulley's have seen better days. None really worth even trying to salvage.
    last but not least is the fine old Bacon Skillet.

Trash & Treasures + What is it's-chain-hoist-jpgTrash & Treasures + What is it's-hay-hook-jpgTrash & Treasures + What is it's-no-clue-jpgTrash & Treasures + What is it's-pullies-jpgTrash & Treasures + What is it's-skillette-7-jpgTrash & Treasures + What is it's-stove-jpg
    ::"I STARTED out with nothing....I still have most of it."

New Holland TC45 1,300+ hours - FEL - back hoe - post hole digger - Hydraulic Gannon - cement mixer - pressure washer - 1975 Dodge 500 flat bed - 1974 chevy C65 6 yard dump truck.
    All home made by me. loading forks - 2 drags - roller - Sheep's Foot - Pusher (to unload flat bed truck.) - pickle fork digger - Log splitter -

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 4520,

Quote Originally Posted by crash325 View Post
    I can cook, You just haven't seen my skillet yet. I'll post a picture tomorrow.
    Told my sister it was perfect for cooking bacon. Self draining through the "Small" hole. Actually I went off & left the good one.

We use to use the scythe to cut "Johnson" grass beside the HWY. Had to fill a long bed 3/4 ton PU with side boards over cab high. "Johnson' grass is sort of like sugar cane, horses & mules loved it. It would get almost 6' tall and about 1/4" in diameter.
    Jim East of Tucson there used maybe still is a resturant and museam that had several rooms of things to look at while enjoying a good steak.
    Cannot remember the name been to long.
    So the"Old Forge Resturant" with Pepto Bismo as part of the table items might be a money maker.
    Some will travel miles to enjoy the atmosphere.
    Might even wear boots to eat in the horse stall.
    Good looking tools hang from the ceiling so others can look at.
    ken

Tractor
    Kubotas: L3240GST B2320HST B5100D & G5200H

Quote Originally Posted by jomar215 View Post
    Nobody mentioned the smelting pot, either. Looks like at one time he must have had a forge there, too.

Isn't a mattock a pick on one side and a slightly wider pick on the other, a grub hoe is a pick on one side and a wide hoe blade (like that one) on the other, and a pulaski is a hoe and an axe on the other ...?

Anybody ever read any of the Eric Sloane books?
    Yes. I read most of his books as a teenager and still use them as reference and as a source of ideas when I get
    painted into a corner. My dad met him when he was scoutmaster of our troop and his museum was a favorite day trip destination.
    He gave my dad a few autographed books with little sketches that Eric added in the front covers.
    That's the problem with trouble.
    It always starts out as such fun."
    - Randall Brown

Tractor
    Kubotas: L3240GST B2320HST B5100D & G5200H

Quote Originally Posted by crash325 View Post
    Another tool some of us learned to hate early in life.
    Attachment 284733
    Oh, come-come, now. Nothing better for a bad back than cutting a swath or two with a scythe.
    I have a few of different design and use them a lot in places the brush hog won't go.
    Plus it keeps the neighborhood kids respectful when they see you come out of the woods with one in your hands.
    That's the problem with trouble.
    It always starts out as such fun."
    - Randall Brown

Elite Member
    Tractor
    John Deer Lt160

I was looking at my adz, the one with the point on the back (the shipmakers one) is the one I use when hewing mantles. The point on the back keeps it in balance when you are swinging it. Its a very nice tool to use and lets you just flow along, it also really cleans up the log.
    The other the wider one is the one I use for breaking ground up. It cuts through roots real easy.

Tractor
    1/3 PARTNERSHIP IN BOTA 7060 (PLANT NURSERY OPERATION) SOLD MY PERSONAL L3400 DT BOTA

Don't think its that old I still have to research it. Bought this about 3 months ago from a garage sale $ 1.

Boone

sorry bout crummy pic's
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trash & Treasures + What is it's-002-jpg   Trash & Treasures + What is it's-001-jpg   Trash & Treasures + What is it's-003-jpg  
    2 CHRONICLES 7 : 14 (KJV)

Tractor
    JD 1025R, Curtis cab

Tubing cutter, but you need the flaring tool that goes with it.
    No man is prejudiced in favor of a thing knowing it to be wrong. He is attached to it on the belief of it being right.. ~Thomas Paine, Rights of Man, 1791

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Jinma 284(Spirit fel), MF 135 (MF200 fel)

Don't think its that old I still have to research it.
    Pipe cutter patented 1895 or so -- probably made early last century -- google TRIMO pipecutter- $1 was a good deal - if it is "tight" and cuts in a straight line rather than "threading" it will be quite usefull to cut everthing from steel to ABS or PVC

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 56789101118 ... LastLast