Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    JD 790

Default Re: Trash & Treasures + What is it's

Quote Originally Posted by crash325 View Post
    Going to start with a couple of tools that you love to hate.
    Attachment 284649Attachment 284650Attachment 284651

Now a look at Old & new. The new log roller is a pain to use, way too heavy and handle too fat. It was here when I bought this place.
    Attachment 284652

My Forge & a few tools used while forging. Also a hook being forged from a R/R spike. Re-bar is welded on just for a handle.
    Attachment 284653

Now a few Planes that will be restored. Bailey #7, Stanley Rabbiting plane & No name draw plane. Very old Miter box, Brace (1/2 Of a Brace & bit.) Yankee Drill or screw driver. I do have a good Brace and Yankee Drill. Both come in handy every now & then.

Attachment 284654Attachment 284655Attachment 284656Attachment 284657Attachment 284658Attachment 284659 Attachment 284660

The little blue box looking thing was in almost every kitchen. What for????
    The little blue box is a wooden match holder for lighting wood stoves then gas stoves when that became available. Cheers

Elite Member
    Tractor
    New Holland TC-45

Quote Originally Posted by bullbreaker View Post
    Don't think its that old I still have to research it. Bought this about 3 months ago from a garage sale $ 1.

Boone

sorry bout crummy pic's
    Hi Boone,
    I was just too lazy to move the old pipe cutter, its hiding the lower 1/2 of the block & tackle.
    Though for sure someone would see the sort of old Hay hook. Pretty sure you can still buy a new one.

The wooden handled thing hanging by a rope, I think had something to do with livestock?? Take a good look and see what you think.

All of you that said match holder were right. Early gas stoves did not have pilot lights and naturally you needed matches to light wood stoves.

Hope all of you are having fun.
    Jim
    ::"I STARTED out with nothing....I still have most of it."

New Holland TC45 1,300+ hours - FEL - back hoe - post hole digger - Hydraulic Gannon - cement mixer - pressure washer - 1975 Dodge 500 flat bed - 1974 chevy C65 6 yard dump truck.
    All home made by me. loading forks - 2 drags - roller - Sheep's Foot - Pusher (to unload flat bed truck.) - pickle fork digger - Log splitter -

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Jinma 284(Spirit fel), MF 135 (MF200 fel)

Though for sure someone would see the sort of old Hay hook. Pretty sure you can still buy a new one.
    Yep -- bale or hay hook and you can still buy them but just about every farm auction I go to has them thrown in box lots for cheap
    The wooden handled thing hanging by a rope, I think had something to do with livestock?? Take a good look and see what you think.
    -- I suppose they could be usede as emasculators or ring pliers but they almost look homemade -- any labeling?

Elite Member
    Tractor
    New Holland TC-45

Quote Originally Posted by studor View Post
    Yep -- bale or hay hook and you can still buy them but just about every farm auction I go to has them thrown in box lots for cheap
    -- I suppose they could be usede as emasculators or ring pliers but they almost look homemade -- any labeling?
    Yep everyone (country) had hay hooks. We had enough for every male in the family and a few more just in case someone came to visit.

The wooden handled thing is Home Made, to go to all that trouble there must have been a good use for it.

New Holland TC45 1,300+ hours - FEL - back hoe - post hole digger - Hydraulic Gannon - cement mixer - pressure washer - 1975 Dodge 500 flat bed - 1974 chevy C65 6 yard dump truck.
    All home made by me. loading forks - 2 drags - roller - Sheep's Foot - Pusher (to unload flat bed truck.) - pickle fork digger - Log splitter -

Elite Member
    Tractor
    New Holland TC-45

Here is a little more fun stuff.

I am beautiful - old saying " Smoke follows Beauty". Fired up the old forge today. As the new coal got close to firing up, that nasty smoke chased me down. Da** near choked. Finished up the hook started long time ago and a handle for my small hand sickle. Would have been faster & easier with the torch, but had the urge to do something with the forge,

The nippers shown were mostly used for shoeing horses. Many folks used them for other things.

There is a meat hook and a tool of torture shown with it. In the old days it was mostly used by a Barber.

Better picture of the block & tackle.

Trash & Treasures + What is it's-b-n-tackle.jpgTrash & Treasures + What is it's-forging.jpgTrash & Treasures + What is it's-meat-hook.jpgTrash & Treasures + What is it's-mippers.jpgTrash & Treasures + What is it's-trap.jpg
    There is is an old coyote trap in 1 picture. Think they have been mostly outlawed today.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota, John Deere, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

My son found this in our old barn, we don't know anything about them and just left them in place.
    Thread on helpful tractor abbreviations: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/o...-acronyms.html

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    B6100DT

Looks like time to fire up the old electrolytic rust removal apparatus!

Dan C.
    B6100DT, FEL, BH

Elite Member
    Tractor
    New Holland TC-45

Quote Originally Posted by TripleR View Post
    My son found this in our old barn, we don't know anything about them and just left them in place.
    Were it up to me I would drag the stuff out, hose it off. There may be some good or useful things in there.

Today's picture is three tools mostly restored. As in restored to "useful". No for museum display.

The old sickle now has a handle and sharpened. That thing works so well it is almost scary. Green mesquite up to about 1/2" don't stand a chance. Weird handle is one made a few years ago. Just for the heck of it, no use at that time. Just having fun.

The ships carpenter axe is more of an adze than hatchet. Blade is only sharpened on 1 side. The old tool page posted earlier says in the print that they can be special ordered, sharpened from both sides. The handle is hand carved from a mesquite limb. Did that about 3 years ago.

The "Slick" (Giant chisel ) was cleaned up about 3 years ago as well. Turned a new handle on a small wood lathe. Original handle had a slight curve near the end.

Trash & Treasures + What is it's-3-tools.jpg

Elite Member
    Tractor
    New Holland TC-45

Attachment 287467Attachment 287468Attachment 287469Attachment 287470Attachment 287471Attachment 287472

Here are a few pictures of the things picked up on the last trip to Tombstone.
    There is 1 picture of "I don't know whats or what used for".
    The hand grinder with the hopper. Not sure what its use was, too big for a coffee grinder - too small for a corn grinder. Maybe one of you folks know.
    The big chain wrench is about 5 feet long + chain. It weighs close to 100 pounds

Elite Member
    Tractor
    New Holland TC-45

Trash & Treasures + What is it's-grinder-1.jpgTrash & Treasures + What is it's-grinder-2.jpgAttachment 287467Attachment 287468Attachment 287469Attachment 287470Attachment 287471Attachment 287472

Here are a few pictures of the things picked up on the last trip to Tombstone.
    There is 1 picture of "I don't know whats or what used for".
    The hand grinder with the hopper. Not sure what its use was, too big for a coffee grinder - too small for a corn grinder. Maybe one of you folks know.
    The big chain wrench is about 5 feet long + chain. It weighs close to 100 pounds
    Canteen cup is dated 1944, hope to find the canteen it goes to.
    Long skinny thing is a brass door Jamb.

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast