Trash & Treasures + What is it's

/ Trash & Treasures + What is it's #81  
Going to start with a couple of tools that you love to hate.
View attachment 284649View attachment 284650View attachment 284651

Now a look at Old & new. The new log roller is a pain to use, way too heavy and handle too fat. It was here when I bought this place.
View attachment 284652

My Forge & a few tools used while forging. Also a hook being forged from a R/R spike. Re-bar is welded on just for a handle.
View attachment 284653

Now a few Planes that will be restored. Bailey #7, Stanley Rabbiting plane & No name draw plane. Very old Miter box, Brace (1/2 Of a Brace & bit.) Yankee Drill or screw driver. I do have a good Brace and Yankee Drill. Both come in handy every now & then.

View attachment 284654View attachment 284655View attachment 284656View attachment 284657View attachment 284658View attachment 284659 View attachment 284660

The little blue box looking thing was in almost every kitchen. What for????

The little blue box is a wooden match holder for lighting wood stoves then gas stoves when that became available. Cheers

/ Trash & Treasures + What is it's
Don't think its that old I still have to research it. Bought this about 3 months ago from a garage sale $ 1.

Boone

sorry bout crummy pic's

Hi Boone,
I was just too lazy to move the old pipe cutter, its hiding the lower 1/2 of the block & tackle.
Though for sure someone would see the sort of old Hay hook. Pretty sure you can still buy a new one.

The wooden handled thing hanging by a rope, I think had something to do with livestock?? Take a good look and see what you think.

All of you that said match holder were right. Early gas stoves did not have pilot lights and naturally you needed matches to light wood stoves.

Hope all of you are having fun.
Jim

/ Trash & Treasures + What is it's #83  
Though for sure someone would see the sort of old Hay hook. Pretty sure you can still buy a new one.
Yep -- bale or hay hook and you can still buy them but just about every farm auction I go to has them thrown in box lots for cheap
The wooden handled thing hanging by a rope, I think had something to do with livestock?? Take a good look and see what you think.
-- I suppose they could be usede as emasculators or ring pliers but they almost look homemade -- any labeling?

Yep -- bale or hay hook and you can still buy them but just about every farm auction I go to has them thrown in box lots for cheap
-- I suppose they could be usede as emasculators or ring pliers but they almost look homemade -- any labeling?

Yep everyone (country) had hay hooks. We had enough for every male in the family and a few more just in case someone came to visit.

The wooden handled thing is Home Made, to go to all that trouble there must have been a good use for it.

Here is a little more fun stuff.

I am beautiful - old saying " Smoke follows Beauty". Fired up the old forge today. As the new coal got close to firing up, that nasty smoke chased me down. Da** near choked. Finished up the hook started long time ago and a handle for my small hand sickle. Would have been faster & easier with the torch, but had the urge to do something with the forge,

The nippers shown were mostly used for shoeing horses. Many folks used them for other things.

There is a meat hook and a tool of torture shown with it. In the old days it was mostly used by a Barber.

Better picture of the block & tackle.

b n tackle.jpgforging.jpgmeat hook.jpgmippers.jpgtrap.jpg
There is is an old coyote trap in 1 picture. Think they have been mostly outlawed today.

/ Trash & Treasures + What is it's #86  
My son found this in our old barn, we don't know anything about them and just left them in place.

My son found this in our old barn, we don't know anything about them and just left them in place.

Were it up to me I would drag the stuff out, hose it off. There may be some good or useful things in there.

Today's picture is three tools mostly restored. As in restored to "useful". No for museum display.

The old sickle now has a handle and sharpened. That thing works so well it is almost scary. Green mesquite up to about 1/2" don't stand a chance. Weird handle is one made a few years ago. Just for the heck of it, no use at that time. Just having fun.

The ships carpenter axe is more of an adze than hatchet. Blade is only sharpened on 1 side. The old tool page posted earlier says in the print that they can be special ordered, sharpened from both sides. The handle is hand carved from a mesquite limb. Did that about 3 years ago.

The "Slick" (Giant chisel ) was cleaned up about 3 years ago as well. Turned a new handle on a small wood lathe. Original handle had a slight curve near the end.

3 tools.jpg

View attachment 287467View attachment 287468View attachment 287469View attachment 287470View attachment 287471View attachment 287472

Here are a few pictures of the things picked up on the last trip to Tombstone.
There is 1 picture of "I don't know whats or what used for".
The hand grinder with the hopper. Not sure what its use was, too big for a coffee grinder - too small for a corn grinder. Maybe one of you folks know.
The big chain wrench is about 5 feet long + chain. It weighs close to 100 pounds

grinder 1.jpggrinder 2.jpgView attachment 287467View attachment 287468View attachment 287469View attachment 287470View attachment 287471View attachment 287472

Here are a few pictures of the things picked up on the last trip to Tombstone.
There is 1 picture of "I don't know whats or what used for".
The hand grinder with the hopper. Not sure what its use was, too big for a coffee grinder - too small for a corn grinder. Maybe one of you folks know.
The big chain wrench is about 5 feet long + chain. It weighs close to 100 pounds
Canteen cup is dated 1944, hope to find the canteen it goes to.
Long skinny thing is a brass door Jamb.