Trash & Treasures + What is it's

/ Trash & Treasures + What is it's #1  

crash325

Elite Member
Tractor
New Holland TC-45
View attachment 283756View attachment 283757I'm starting to rescue some old & antique tools & misc other things from my Grandfathers place.
These few little items are just the start. Some quite useful and others 1 step up from junk.
Most of the I know the use of and the names. But there are some I don't have the name or real use.

The real hang up for me is the chain wrench. Use & Name??? 1 Funny looking little wrench I use fairly often, but do not know what it's name is. The long saw I have always called a "Whip Saw". Real name??? Whip Saw, because it had a tendency to sing & vibrate while in use?? Or because it whipped your butt by the end of the day??

Have fun I'm going to let you folks name all of them if you can.

The old anvil was made in England, it has had a hard life. It's in the 100# range but much of the writing has been messed up.

I tried to delete the Tarantula pictures, there was no way that I could do it. :confused3:

Attachments

• anvil 1.jpg
    anvil 1.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 657
  • anvil 2.jpg
    anvil 2.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 477
  • dogs.jpg
    dogs.jpg
    892.7 KB · Views: 856
  • draqw knife.jpg
    draqw knife.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 517
  • hand drill.jpg
    hand drill.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 440
  • nisc tools.jpg
    nisc tools.jpg
    310.6 KB · Views: 502
  • picks 1.jpg
    picks 1.jpg
    638.7 KB · Views: 443
  • ratchet.jpg
    ratchet.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 461
  • saws.jpg
    saws.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 443
  • what is it 1.jpg
    what is it 1.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 374
  • what is it 2.jpg
    what is it 2.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 548
  • what is it 3.jpg
    what is it 3.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 509
  • wrenches.jpg
    wrenches.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 561
Last edited by a moderator:
   / Trash & Treasures + What is it's #2  
That's one big brown hairy spider! Glad you kept those pics in the mix.
The cain wrench looks like it would be just the ticket for threading togeter large plubing bits.
For another interpretation of what the long saw is good for (at around the 2:00 mark):
"Ain't No More Cane" - YouTube
Compliments to Poor Old Shine, our local group that is getting lots of time on the local stations and music halls.

/ Trash & Treasures + What is it's #3  
   / Trash & Treasures + What is it's #4  
I'm starting to rescue some old & antique tools & misc other things from my Grandfathers place.
These few little items are just the start. Some quite useful and others 1 step up from junk.
Most of the I know the use of and the names. But there are some I don't have the name or real use.

The real hang up for me is the chain wrench. Use & Name??? 1 Funny looking little wrench I use fairly often, but do not know what it's name is. The long saw I have always called a "Whip Saw". Real name??? Whip Saw, because it had a tendency to sing & vibrate while in use?? Or because it whipped your butt by the end of the day??

Have fun I'm going to let you folks name all of them if you can.

The old anvil was made in England, it has had a hard life. It's in the 100# range but much of the writing has been messed up.

I tried to delete the Tarantula pictures, there was no way that I could do it. :confused3:

Jim Looks like my tractor shed Only the tools are used not rusty. #3 pic looks like a dog.
Last pic seem to be some ones leg.also have spiders in the shed keeps the bugs rolled up.
The chain wrench used in plumbing or keeping a pipe from spining while using a threading tool
The locks are they labeled as Rail road . or Pwr. co.?
Best location is on a wall high enough so cannot easily removed.
Some day wil become antique then saleable.
Rethinking of the Ariz. trip will be next spring and have couple of tools you will need to add to your collection.
So save some space.
ken

/ Trash & Treasures + What is it's #5  
Top right I see a Cant hook, for rolloing logs. A miners pick, use in coal mining years ago, and a pick/Mattock.

Somewhere down lower, the adjustable wrenches, some called them "Monkey Wrenches". Was your Grandfather a Railroader..?? Those look like switch locks.

/ Trash & Treasures + What is it's #6  
The two after the spider look like wood working tools. I'm thinking the small one is used for removing bark from logs by straddling them and pulling it towards you. I think the other one is for shaping logs for building. I could be wrong.

/ Trash & Treasures + What is it's #7  
And lots of one man cross cuts...!!

/ Trash & Treasures + What is it's
My dogs love to help (?) and are quite curious about anything different. Partly hidden by the dog is what I think is a R/R spike driver.
In between the 2 draw knives is something that I don't have clue as to what it is or real use.
The pick in the picture is about 1/2 the size of most picks. Use?? Coal mining?? or tight space in any mine??
The alligator looking wrench works pretty much like a ratchet and I use fairly often. Think that the came in several sizes. This on fits nuts from about 1 inch down.
The hand drill is really old, but the cast handle is not original and has been brazed on.
In pic #5 is a large soldering iron. At one time there was a burner used to keep it hot. There are also 2 old wood stove legs.
Does the chain wrench have a real name?? "Cain Wrench"??
There are 4 monkey wrenches, I think that was the only name they ever had. Below them are 2 "Ford" style wrenches. I say "ford" style as neither was made or stamped Ford. Similar wrench came with a new Model "T".
The 2 big "S" shaped open end wrenches were for use on large horse drawn wagons. They appear to be hand forged. hard to see are also 2 wagon axle nut wrenches.
The little saw blade in the picture is for a "Buck Saw". I plan to build it some new handles & tension-er.
Is "Whip Saw" the correct name for the big saw. I don't think it was a "Felling" saw, it's a little short. I have another a whole lot longer & heavier.

Peavy""" I should know witch tool that is. But the brain cell died. :laughing:

The tarantula was pretty large about 4 inches across. They are fairly tame and have no fear. Didn't bother him when the dogs sniffed him. I put my hand down to see if he would crawl on it. But he just took his time turning and slowly walking away.

/ Trash & Treasures + What is it's #9  
The real hang up for me is the chain wrench
I've always known it as a chain wrench -- my father had one we used on stubborn pipes in boilers -- they were made to be pipe wrenches but were useful in any number of ways where you need to turn something with leverage -- I still have Dads and use it frequently.
The peavey (log roller) with the hinged hook is not missing its spike -- it is the small bump on the iron collar on the end.
I think the pick axe is a miners pick -- used as you speculate in tight spaces