Page 1 of 19 123411 ... LastLast
    Elite Member
    Tractor
    New Holland TC-45

Default Trash & Treasures + What is it's

Attachment 283756Attachment 283757I'm starting to rescue some old & antique tools & misc other things from my Grandfathers place.
    These few little items are just the start. Some quite useful and others 1 step up from junk.
    Most of the I know the use of and the names. But there are some I don't have the name or real use.

The real hang up for me is the chain wrench. Use & Name??? 1 Funny looking little wrench I use fairly often, but do not know what it's name is. The long saw I have always called a "Whip Saw". Real name??? Whip Saw, because it had a tendency to sing & vibrate while in use?? Or because it whipped your butt by the end of the day??

Have fun I'm going to let you folks name all of them if you can.

The old anvil was made in England, it has had a hard life. It's in the 100# range but much of the writing has been messed up.

I tried to delete the Tarantula pictures, there was no way that I could do it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trash & Treasures + What is it's-anvil-1.jpg   Trash & Treasures + What is it's-anvil-2.jpg   Trash & Treasures + What is it's-dogs.jpg   Trash & Treasures + What is it's-draqw-knife.jpg   Trash & Treasures + What is it's-hand-drill.jpg  

Trash & Treasures + What is it's-nisc-tools.jpg   Trash & Treasures + What is it's-picks-1.jpg   Trash & Treasures + What is it's-ratchet.jpg   Trash & Treasures + What is it's-saws.jpg   Trash & Treasures + What is it's-what-1.jpg  

Trash & Treasures + What is it's-what-2.jpg   Trash & Treasures + What is it's-what-3.jpg   Trash & Treasures + What is it's-wrenches.jpg  
    Last edited by Briana03; 11-08-2012 at 05:37 PM.
    ::"I STARTED out with nothing....I still have most of it."

New Holland TC45 1,300+ hours - FEL - back hoe - post hole digger - Hydraulic Gannon - cement mixer - pressure washer - 1975 Dodge 500 flat bed - 1974 chevy C65 6 yard dump truck.
    All home made by me. loading forks - 2 drags - roller - Sheep's Foot - Pusher (to unload flat bed truck.) - pickle fork digger - Log splitter -

Tractor
    L3240GST, B2320HST, B5100D & G5200H

Default Re: Trash & Treasures + What is it's

That's one big brown hairy spider! Glad you kept those pics in the mix.
    The cain wrench looks like it would be just the ticket for threading togeter large plubing bits.
    For another interpretation of what the long saw is good for (at around the 2:00 mark):
    "Ain't No More Cane" - YouTube
    Compliments to Poor Old Shine, our local group that is getting lots of time on the local stations and music halls.
    That's the problem with trouble.
    It always starts out as such fun."
    - Randall Brown

Elite Member
    Tractor
    John Deer Lt160

The two draw knives are nice, next to them is an adz (in the picture with the ball peen hammer). The peavy is missing the front spike. All in all with some new wooden handles you have a nice set of tools.
    Replacement 48 and 36 Long, Logging items in Hickory Handle Store store on eBay! sells new handles I used him for replacing handles on my peavy, and two adz great person to work with.

Ken
    Veteran Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 4520,

Quote Originally Posted by crash325 View Post
    I'm starting to rescue some old & antique tools & misc other things from my Grandfathers place.
    These few little items are just the start. Some quite useful and others 1 step up from junk.
    Most of the I know the use of and the names. But there are some I don't have the name or real use.

The real hang up for me is the chain wrench. Use & Name??? 1 Funny looking little wrench I use fairly often, but do not know what it's name is. The long saw I have always called a "Whip Saw". Real name??? Whip Saw, because it had a tendency to sing & vibrate while in use?? Or because it whipped your butt by the end of the day??

Have fun I'm going to let you folks name all of them if you can.

The old anvil was made in England, it has had a hard life. It's in the 100# range but much of the writing has been messed up.

I tried to delete the Tarantula pictures, there was no way that I could do it.
    Jim Looks like my tractor shed Only the tools are used not rusty. #3 pic looks like a dog.
    Last pic seem to be some ones leg.also have spiders in the shed keeps the bugs rolled up.
    The chain wrench used in plumbing or keeping a pipe from spining while using a threading tool
    The locks are they labeled as Rail road . or Pwr. co.?
    Best location is on a wall high enough so cannot easily removed.
    Some day wil become antique then saleable.
    Rethinking of the Ariz. trip will be next spring and have couple of tools you will need to add to your collection.
    So save some space.
    ken

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Massey 180 Diesel

Top right I see a Cant hook, for rolloing logs. A miners pick, use in coal mining years ago, and a pick/Mattock.

Somewhere down lower, the adjustable wrenches, some called them "Monkey Wrenches". Was your Grandfather a Railroader..?? Those look like switch locks.

Tractor
    Kubota 9540, RTV 900 and David Brown 885.

The two after the spider look like wood working tools. I'm thinking the small one is used for removing bark from logs by straddling them and pulling it towards you. I think the other one is for shaping logs for building. I could be wrong.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Massey 180 Diesel

And lots of one man cross cuts...!!

Elite Member
    Tractor
    New Holland TC-45

My dogs love to help (?) and are quite curious about anything different. Partly hidden by the dog is what I think is a R/R spike driver.
    In between the 2 draw knives is something that I don't have clue as to what it is or real use.
    The pick in the picture is about 1/2 the size of most picks. Use?? Coal mining?? or tight space in any mine??
    The alligator looking wrench works pretty much like a ratchet and I use fairly often. Think that the came in several sizes. This on fits nuts from about 1 inch down.
    The hand drill is really old, but the cast handle is not original and has been brazed on.
    In pic #5 is a large soldering iron. At one time there was a burner used to keep it hot. There are also 2 old wood stove legs.
    Does the chain wrench have a real name?? "Cain Wrench"??
    There are 4 monkey wrenches, I think that was the only name they ever had. Below them are 2 "Ford" style wrenches. I say "ford" style as neither was made or stamped Ford. Similar wrench came with a new Model "T".
    The 2 big "S" shaped open end wrenches were for use on large horse drawn wagons. They appear to be hand forged. hard to see are also 2 wagon axle nut wrenches.
    The little saw blade in the picture is for a "Buck Saw". I plan to build it some new handles & tension-er.
    Is "Whip Saw" the correct name for the big saw. I don't think it was a "Felling" saw, it's a little short. I have another a whole lot longer & heavier.

Peavy""" I should know witch tool that is. But the brain cell died.

The tarantula was pretty large about 4 inches across. They are fairly tame and have no fear. Didn't bother him when the dogs sniffed him. I put my hand down to see if he would crawl on it. But he just took his time turning and slowly walking away.
    ::"I STARTED out with nothing....I still have most of it."

New Holland TC45 1,300+ hours - FEL - back hoe - post hole digger - Hydraulic Gannon - cement mixer - pressure washer - 1975 Dodge 500 flat bed - 1974 chevy C65 6 yard dump truck.
    All home made by me. loading forks - 2 drags - roller - Sheep's Foot - Pusher (to unload flat bed truck.) - pickle fork digger - Log splitter -

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Jinma 284(Spirit fel), MF 135 (MF200 fel)

The real hang up for me is the chain wrench
    I've always known it as a chain wrench -- my father had one we used on stubborn pipes in boilers -- they were made to be pipe wrenches but were useful in any number of ways where you need to turn something with leverage -- I still have Dads and use it frequently.
    The peavey (log roller) with the hinged hook is not missing its spike -- it is the small bump on the iron collar on the end.
    I think the pick axe is a miners pick -- used as you speculate in tight spaces

I was always told a "peavey" has the spike, while a "cant hook" does not. Apparently, the inventor of the peavey does too:
    Peavey Manufacturing Company - Logging Tools

Page 1 of 19 123411 ... LastLast