another home shop/barn project

/ another home shop/barn project #11  
All I can say is: I am glad I live where I do.

Thats just nonsense to think that living in rural america, that you cant park equipment on your OWN property. And that you cant build a barn or cut some trees out of your way to do so without jumping through hoops.

Where I live...about anything goes. No permits required for clearing some trees or digging a pond. And only a $100 permit to build a large barn (which I think is stupid).

Is this "neighbor" one of the city types that thinks he can move to the country for piece and quiet and still dictate what neighbors can and cannot do?? My uncle had one of them types. My uncle liked to ride ATV's on his 6 acres. The back 3 acres we made some jumps and a nice little track and a few mud-pits. His neighbor first called to complain about the noise. (we didnt ride after dark even. Most of the quads didnt even have lights). When the sherrif informed him that there were NO noise ordinances to be enforce and that there was nothing they could do, next thing he tried was to file a complaint (about the mud pits) for promoting mosquito breeding grounds. The sherrif just laughed.

Some people:confused2:

I feel your pain. Good luck and I hope everything works out for the best.

/ another home shop/barn project #12  
We've lived in our log home at the back of our 8 acres for 18 years bothering no one (there is no one close enough to bother), and shortly after we moved in, we made the acquaintance of our back neighbor, who lived on the road behind ours- with his 80 heavily wooded acres between us and him.

My wife sent him brownies and cookies more than a few times and we were each on a town board (though different ones).

He told us several times to feel free to hike the back 40, as long as we kept our dogs leashed to avoid harassing the deer he wished to hunt.

We also cleaned up any deadwood or deadfalls that were on or near the property line, which he approved of.

2 years ago, he "sold" or in some way x-ferred the property title to his son, none of my business, right- though he told me he was just doing it to reduce his property tax and give his son, who lives in Florida (we're in upstate NY) a tax deduction.

One day we came home and he had put up 8 new no trespassing signs facing right onto our dooryard. His father had had some discrete ones at the edges of his property, but knew that we wouldn't ever allow anyone else into his woods- which again, are at the back of our 8 acre flag lot, and about 100-150 feet from our "front"door, so these signs are obviously meant for us.

The son eventally comes over in the twilight hours to tell us he doesn't want us stealing wood from his property and that we are not allowed to tresspass there any more. In fact, he even put one of the signs on a 3 foot stake at the corner just feet from where we walk into our woodshed.

No more cookies or brownies and our new 45x30 pole barn will obscure all those posted signs and be just inches past the set-backs required by the zoning ordinance (my board was the zoning board) and my friendly code enforcement officer (& the secretary of the ZB & another cookie/brownie recipient) has assured me we will not have any problems with any complaints from him.

BUT.... Speaking of weird ordinances, solely because our garage/pole barn is detached from the house, AND larger than 12'x 12', instead of simply getting a $50 building permit, we have to file for approval for our site plan and await the pleasure of the planning board's meeting on 10/24, then if they approve, spend another $50 for the building permit.

But after reading the OP's story, I feel incredibly lucky to be here- the trees we cleared and excavation we did, didn't require any permits, approvals or bonds- thank you G-D!

My neighbor's son/property owner has swung by a bunch of times to see what we have going on, but we ignore him and chuckle a little at his consternation...

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

Thomas
No matter where you go; there you are...

/ another home shop/barn project
An oldtimer once told me "neighbors are like *** holes, everyone's got one and they all stink"

/ another home shop/barn project #14  
The neighbor was not happy before with a forklift parked in the woods, he really is unhappy now. He hasn稚 talked to me since he asked me to move the forklift. .

View attachment 283825

PERFECT!!!! I have had the "pleasure" of having 2 "crazy neighbors" since moving to our property in '03......I thought they were bad but when put in the entire context, they paled in comparison to your story.

/ another home shop/barn project #15  
always heard- Good Fences make Good Neighbors!

some people want there little piece of heaven to extend beyond their property lines and are willing to make a neighbors life as miserable as their life must be just to get their way!

Also, it really makes them mad if you don't take them seriously!

/ another home shop/barn project
always heard- Good Fences make Good Neighbors!

Funny you say that. I went to Home Depot the other day and saw a stack of slightly damaged stockade fencing for $ 9 a section and picked up 8 sections. If the complaints continue after I get the fencing up my wife wants to let my 3 and 5 year olds paint his side.

fence.jpg

/ another home shop/barn project #17  
Funny you say that. I went to Home Depot the other day and saw a stack of slightly damaged stockade fencing for $ 9 a section and picked up 8 sections. If the complaints continue after I get the fencing up my wife wants to let my 3 and 5 year olds paint his side.

Home Depot probably has discounted paint in lots of different colors people did not want after it was custom mixed! probably some pink, purple, puke yellow, taupe, etc!!

:mur: :stirthepot:

/ another home shop/barn project #18  
Sounds like he would then complain you were creating an eyesore. Some people just don't know when to keep their trap shut. Sorry you had to expend so much $ because of his ignorance!

/ another home shop/barn project #19  
Man, I feel for the OP. Reading some of the comments reminded me of the time some 30 years ago my date-of-the-moment and I went to a nice restaurant for dinner and I noticed that sitting high up on a hill was a house painted in every color of the rainbow. Very expensive neighborhood, too.

When I commented on how horrible the color scheme was, every window frame painted a different bold color, the two sides of the house I could see painted in different equally putrid colors, my date put her head in her hands and said that was her brother's house. He did it just to tick the neighbors off to get back at them.

There's an old saying that you can never have anything nicer than your neighbors allow you to have.

Once a friend of mine went out at midnight to silence a nauseatingly barking dog the back neighbor kept chained up at the property line just to bug him. The dog would bark nonstop when my friend was in his own back yard. He went out that night and emptied his S&W 357 revolver right into the dirt on his side of the property line.

The dog was gone the next day.

/ another home shop/barn project #20  
I'd be temped to paint, or at least prime the new building Caterpillar yellow. Maybe you could get around to painting it a different color in a few years.
Careful about painting the fence. Some places have codes restricting obnoxious fences. Some have codes restricting paint color too....but I've never heard of restrictions on primer color. :laughing: