another home shop/barn project

/ another home shop/barn project #1  

the Peej

I'v gotten so many ideas looking at everyone's projects here I thought I would share mine. It all started when my neighbor complained about my forklift parked in the woods. I had it home because I was residing the house and painting the trim in my free time. I had two options take it to my shop where I rent space to keep my equipment or take out a building permit for a barn at my house and as long as I'm "working towards" the barn I can have equipment at home. I chose the second. The permit process was not as easy as I had envisioned. The barn foundation is over a hundred feet from my property line but the driveway and trees I need to clear are not. I have no wetlands but the neighbor may have some on his property but since we don't get along I can not test his soil so the town assumes it's wetlands. Anything within 100' of wetlands is regulated and I needed a special permit and replant trees to compensate for the trees I wanted to cut down. A few thousand later I had my wetlands permit (even though I have no wetlands) and bond posted for the new trees.

I borrowed a friends manlift and cut down the trees from the top down to minimize damaging the trees I was keeping
droid phone 236.jpg

View of my house from top of manlift 70' up
droid phone 239.jpg

/ another home shop/barn project
A few pics of what my neighbor found so disturbing

wetlands crap 004.jpg
Same area looking at neighbors house
wetlands crap 002.jpg

Attachments

• wetlands crap 001.jpg
    wetlands crap 001.jpg
    932 KB · Views: 449
Oops I meant to post this under projects could a mod move it?

This is going to be a long project, I'm doing most the work myself as time and money allow. The Barn is going to be 28' wide and 32' deep. It's being set into the hillside so that the second floor will be walkout also. I'm designing and changing it as I go, after I dug the hill out and hammered the ledge I discovered the foundation needed to be 17' high at the rear. I wanted high ceilings in the shop but hadn't planned for that high. I called my old engineer professor and he came up with a simple plan of pouring counterforts on the back side to counter act the pressure of the soil pushing on a wall that high. It痴 been about a year and I got the trees cleared, driveway cut in, and foundation poured
barn footings.jpg barn forklift.jpg barn pouring footings.jpg barn poured footings.jpg barn wall forms.jpg barn high wall.jpg barn pouring.jpg barn inside.jpg barn counterfort.jpg

The neighbor was not happy before with a forklift parked in the woods, he really is unhappy now. He hasn’t talked to me since he asked me to move the forklift. He has called and written the town building, zoning and wetlands departments numerous times and they told him I have permits and am within my rights to build on my property. He was not happy with there response so he called the town attorney who in turn called me and confirmed what I knew, I can build on my property. Any time I do any work on the project he comes out and stands on the property line and takes pictures, I’ve started taking pictures of him taking pictures ( I know childish but it gives me entertainment).

Here’s one of him running away as I take his picture.

barn neighbor.jpg

/ another home shop/barn project #9  
Where on earth do you live? That is about the craziest set of circumstances I have seen. Nice building though. What is up with the neighbor? Did you buy the property next door that he wanted but couldmnot afford or was too cheap to buy?

Neighbor solution, invisible fence and very large dog with thunder bark. That will make neighbor think twice about standing at the property line!! I guess some people just always need something to be stressed/angry about.

/ another home shop/barn project #10  
Where on earth do you live? That is about the craziest set of circumstances I have seen. Nice building though. What is up with the neighbor? Did you buy the property next door that he wanted but couldmnot afford or was too cheap to buy?

Neighbor solution, invisible fence and very large dog with thunder bark. That will make neighbor think twice about standing at the property line!! I guess some people just always need something to be stressed/angry about.

Here are some "crazy neighbor" anecdotes from my friends and relatives:

1. In rural NJ, neighbor on landlocked property has non-deeded access easement but wants it for his own exclusive use. When the front property owner starts using the easement as his own driveway, back owner files various environmental complaints. Settled when back owner buys the easement property for a price determined by binding arbitration.

2. In zoned suburban MO, new neighbor requests variance to build huge addition, resulting in a much larger house than any other in the subdivision. This was before the housing bust. Zoning commission denies the variance after others in subdivision object. New neighbor sells and moves out.

3. In suburban MO, developer wants to build several large houses on a hill above an existing neighborhood but needs an easement. One adjacent landowner agrees to grant the easement in exchange for a privacy fence plus a bit of the hill property, where he puts an outdoor hot tub with a fine view. Everybody is happy.