DIY electric install?

/ DIY electric install? #11  
DIT isn't the problem, knowing how to do it safely and real close to code is.
Having your buddy tell you how it should be done is almost as good as having him help you.
There are a lot of things with electric that if done up front will save you a lot of trouble later.
I pulled a "Homeowners Permit" for my electric and plumbing a year ago last July when I bought a new Manufactured Home. I trenched it before the home was placed and I went 24-30" deep. I had to do the permits.
I ran 4-0 aluminum 60' through PVC conduit from the pole to the home for 200amp service.
I sweated pulling the wire but after sucking a rope through with a shop vac and taping it to the wire it took 5 minutes to pull with a friend pushing at the same time!!
There is so much info on the net that you can probably find videos showing the how to's.
And if you can use aluminum for the main it will be less than half the cost of copper. Of course only copper for the circuits!

/ DIY electric install? #12  
The only problem you can get into by doing the work is if theres a fire, or other problem. It doesnt even have to be in the building your working in. If an insurance company comes to your property to investigate a claim, and can find work done (electric, plumbing, whatever) WITHOUT any permits, they can .... and often do.... deny any claims for damage.

its a sad fact, but ive seen it happen in Calif, Oregon and Idaho. im sure it happens everywhere else also.

Here in Idaho a shop/barn permit only costs approx $75 ... so why risk losing insurance over $75 :confused:

also, FYI... direct burial UF cable needs 24 coverage (18" if in pipe).

2/2/4 urd direct bury aluminum capable of carrying 100 amps is only $1.22 / foot (plus 0.25 for a #6 ground wire). Why wire a shop as large as yours with a small circuit, when for a few bucks more you can get 100 amps ( or 50 amps) .

/ DIY electric install? #13  
You've said a few things wrong already, so while installing electric can be a diy job, I'm not sure you are up to the task. We all love to save money, and most of us enjoy sticking it to the govt, but - if you mess up electical, you set up a timebomb waiting to hurt someomne could be a decade from now.

--->Paul

/ DIY electric install? #14  
The only reason they want a permit is so they can jack up the property taxes because the barn has electric. I'm being stubborn on principle and politics.... <snip>

Is this property going to ever be sold? So you are going to subject them to whatever is done right or wrong? What happens if somebody gets killed due to you not doing it correctly?

I *used* to do electrical work, and do my own, and I am *100%* in agreement with inspections, to protect me from being sued by someone in the future over alleged workmanship flaws. I *want* an inspection report filed with the county so that I have a leg to stand on if something goes wrong in the future.

/ DIY electric install? #15  
Crowbar these guys are trying to protect you from what you don't know, and I agree with them completely. Before I got training and professional experience working with electricity, I knew just enough to be dangerous. And the DIY work I did at that time, I now know, WAS dangerous and incorrect because of my ignorance and inexperience. Luckily I didn't kill anyone or burn anything down. Don't count on luck when working with this stuff. Best regards.

/ DIY electric install?
After reading the comments, I'm second guessing myself. I think I need to do some more planning/education before I attempt this. Thanks for the input.

/ DIY electric install? #17  
there is a good book called "wiring simplified", and it revised ever code cycle, there are two versions of it, a short and a long version, "Practical Electrical Wiring: Residential, Farm, Commercial & Industrial: Based on the 2011 National Electrical Code" (actually I suggest both, the short just hits the high points the long version goes in to more detail,

long version, Practical Electrical Wiring: Residential,Farm,Commercial & Industrial: Based on the 2011 National Electrical Code: Herbert P. Richter,Frederic P. Hartwell: 9780971977969: Amazon.com: Books

short version, Wiring Simplified: Based on the 2011 National Electrical Code: H. P. Richter,W. C. Schwan,F. P. Hartwell: 9780971977976: Amazon.com: Books

it will guide one through the process very well,

as far as permits and inspections, (in most areas it is state law to do this),

but so not cut corners on wire size, use the proper wire type and sized for the amperage of the breakers you choose,

/ DIY electric install? #18  
You've said a few things wrong already, so while installing electric can be a diy job, I'm not sure you are up to the task. We all love to save money, and most of us enjoy sticking it to the govt, but - if you mess up electical, you set up a timebomb waiting to hurt someomne could be a decade from now.

--->Paul

It's not rocket science. Doing the wiring is the easy part, but sitting at the library and going through the NEC to figure out burial depth and wire size is the hard part. Good luck.

/ DIY electric install? #20  
I did my own here, including putting in the power pole, and the full 200 amp for the house, 100 amp to the shop, and 60 amp to the pump house. Not that hard, but I pulled a permit, only 50-75 bucks years ago. Passed the inspection at 100 percent, and even taught the inspector about the always live sub panel going to the pump house, for the "fire pump". But as others have said, a fire, and no permit, and inspection, may void your insurance, and that's not worth the risk in my book.