DIY electric install?

/ DIY electric install? #21  
I do all my own wiring. It's nice because I don't need permits so when ever I get in the urge to put in a new outlet I just do it. Wired my house, garage, and workshop. Just read up, either by book like BHD posted or on the internet. Just remember that the internet isn't always right.

/ DIY electric install? #22  
I understand your reluctance to get a permit but please bury that wire to 3 ft. I was doing a French drain and hit a plastic gas line at 6 inches!!! Talk about a dangerous situation!

/ DIY electric install? #23  
Definitely bury it deep don't risk someone's(maybe tour own life) but don't be intimidated by DIY and I agree with the permit issue I live with no other houses in sight, and if I bothered with a permit every time they'd be rich and I'd be poor , it's just a way for aa to give more county jobs.

/ DIY electric install? #24  
Do you always come to a complete stop at stop signs? Have you never exceeded the speed limit? Then definitely get a permit. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it.
What I would worry about is doing it right. Follow the code, it is fun learning all this stuff. Don't buy a lot of stuff until you have the code down cold. Make it bigger than seems reasonable, you use it eventually. Put outlets in everywhere. Think about swirly screw in fluorescents, it may be cheaper and you can upgrade to LEDs when the price drops.
Get ready for a big smile when you flip the breaker and everything works.

/ DIY electric install? #25  
I done what you are planning to do when i build my shop. I ran 100 Amp to the shop from the panel in the house, which is 200 amp. If you have 100 amp in the house, you may want to upgrade that first, unless you only want 40amp in the shop.I ran it 3 feet down, inside conduit
As far as the permit....it's in your own interest to get it and have it inspected.
1) For safety reasons
2) In case of a fire caused by the wiring, the insurance comp. WILL reject the damage claim if it was not inspected and approved.

/ DIY electric install? #26  
Here is my point of view. I learned electric from my Dad and recently I put in a 120 foot run from my house to my barn and pool. Not only did I try to get electricians to come out, but I even asked my neighbor who works for a utility, but no one showed up. That being said, I studied the code, asked everyone what to do and then dug the trench with my backhoe and did the job. I had the whole job inspected by the town as part of the pool project so I now have 100 amp service to the barn. You don't need 200 amp main service out there, just a 100 amp sub pan. I put the feed 18 inches down in conduit per code.

/ DIY electric install? #27  
some what off subject,
but does any one have any first hand information where insurance did not cover a claim, do to not properly permitted?
I have heard this repeated many times but I have never heard of it actually happening. If you have heard of it any links or "proof" of the reason of the denial of coverage.

and second question, what about millions of old homes that were built before this government money grab, and Idiocy, and violation of the 4 amendment, became the normal, in the area of permits and inspection. (homes that have never been permitted or inspected do to changes in licensing and permitting laws).

I am not opposed to the job being done correctly, or to a logical code, but why a licensed trades person, and then an inspection? if there trained to do it correctly why then the inspections? apparently the state does not trust there licensing process, or who there licensing, you would think there should be some perk for being licensed other than paying into the government coffers via license fees,

/ DIY electric install? #28  
some what off subject,
but does any one have any first hand information where insurance did not cover a claim, do to not properly permitted?
I have heard this repeated many times but I have never heard of it actually happening. If you have heard of it any links or "proof" of the reason of the denial of coverage.

and second question, what about millions of old homes that were built before this government money grab, and Idiocy, and violation of the 4 amendment, became the normal, in the area of permits and inspection. (homes that have never been permitted or inspected do to changes in licensing and permitting laws).

I am not opposed to the job being done correctly, or to a logical code, but why a licensed trades person, and then an inspection? if there trained to do it correctly why then the inspections? apparently the state does not trust there licensing process, or who there licensing, you would think there should be some perk for being licensed other than paying into the government coffers via license fees,

:thumbsup:

/ DIY electric install? #29  
Just to add a few comments. Yes, use the F8 fluorescents. They are doing away with the f12's. The f8 run cheaper and cooler. That being said, you commented about the lights warming up. Are you putting any lights where they will be very cold? If so, you can install rapid start lights and bulbs. They are a bit more to buy but they last a bit longer also.

/ DIY electric install? #30  
some what off subject,

yup... ive been called into several jobs over the years to look at burn downs where the ins company refused payments. These were all newer buildings (less than say 30 yo as i recall). In all cases, even after giving some expert testimony, the ins companies were not required to pay off. its written in most all homeowner policies.

As a matter of local interest here in N Idaho, Bonner county (north of me) fired all their building inspectors a few years back and instigated a site permit fee only policy. Now you dont need local building permits (only electrical, plumbing and mechanical permits are still required). As a result, the local insurance companies REFUSED to insure them. All the homeowners have to hire an INDEPENDENT inspector to make a written appraisal of the building before getting insurance. And they charge MORE than the old building permits cost.