DIY electric install?

/ DIY electric install? #31  
crowbar032 said:
After reading the comments, I'm second guessing myself. I think I need to do some more planning/education before I attempt this. Thanks for the input.

You are thinking now.

/ DIY electric install? #32  
A 200a box in your barn seems overkill. What size breaker do you plan at the house for this sub panel? There is no need for a main breaker in a sub panel, but it's nice to be able to shut the whole panel down to work on it vs going back to house to shut it off.
Actually, from what I have read, you need a main breaker if you will have more than 6 circuits in the box...

Aaron Z

/ DIY electric install? #33  
As far as building permits and code go: Where I am does not require any kind of building permit or inspection for anything other than a Septic Field. I can do the wiring all the way to the power company's transformer without a permit, electrician, or "inspector". And I verified that with both the county and the power company because I couldn't believe it when I was first told. However, the power company MUCH prefers an electrician for the work between the transformer and the main Service Disconnect, after that, they don't care. It goes much more smoothly if I have an electrician for that part. And for the code part, I try to comply with code, or better than code (for stuff like wire sizes), that way if I forget what I did or if I have to have someone work on it, it has all been done to standards and everyone will know what to expect and it can be accomplished without having to spend hours trying to figure out what was done.

/ DIY electric install? #36  
You mention you have a friend that's qualified but not overly motivated. Get him over to show you how and what to do and get you started, then do the bull work. Running wire, wiring boxes and lights etc is not very complicated and will save you a bunch of $. When you get stuck or get it done, call him back to check it out for proper hookups/grounding etc., then throw the switch. After that, pay the man or take his family out to dinner, buy his favorite booze or whatever is an acceptable means of showing your appreciation.

/ DIY electric install?
Just for the record, I have no intention of cutting corners. Everything will be done to code. As noted above in several posts, I found out that 1 ft deep for wire with conduit is not deep enough so I'll be going 18-24 inches deep. I just didn't want to fool with the paperwork. When the inspector came for the first building, he was only interested in the wiring from the electric meter to the box in the garage. No lights or outlet boxes were installed, no wiring ran, nothing and he passed it and gave us the FINAL sign off. I could have ran naked wires from the box to the light fixtures, wired the whole thing to one breaker three sizes to small and he would have never known. Hence my contempt for the whole money grabbing process. If there was any value for the governmental paperwork/inspection hassle, I'd do it, but I'm not seeing it given past experience. I will do everything to code or better as I really don't want to get electocuted.

I plow and till up my friends garden every spring for no charge, so I think a little free advice is fair.

/ DIY electric install? #38  
I wired my entire house and shop. Put the wire underground out to where we had previously decided to set the pole. Set the wire down 2'. Power company came out and set a pole and flipped the switch. No big deal, no permit to work on my own place. But I am in Missouri in a rural area. The lead man installing the pole said something like. It is all yours past the meter. I had previously tested the circuits.

I am not an electrician but had been an electronics technician back in my ASA days. I had consulted with an electrician friend who confirmed the gauges of wire I should use for a given level of service. The local power company sold me the aluminum lead in wire at a very low cost. One of the cheapest parts of the project. I installed two load centers in my building to keep the voltage consistent across my 100 foot long building/house.

/ DIY electric install? #39  
crowbar032 said:
Not exactly a build it yourself post, but just wondering if any non-electricians have installed their own electric. I had a pole barn (42x56) build that I want to put electricity in. I will be coming from another box in another building so I won't need an inspector or to tie onto the utility pole. I'll be using direct bury cable (I'm still putting it in conduit) in a trench. I'll have to rent a trencher as I want to go at least a ft deep. To match the other boxes and breakers I want a 200 amp Cutler Hammer box. I'm not planning on anything fancy, just 110 volt outlets and some shop lights. I do want one 220 outlet so I can run a welder in the future. There is a double breaker slot open in the box I'll be coming off of so I can have one 220 outlet.

I'm still debating on the 4' or 8' flourescent lights. I saw some at Lowes that said there was no warm up time down to -35 degrees. I hate turning on a switch then having to wait for the light to warm up before you can see.

Anyone is allowed to do their wiring. ask yourself a few questions. Do I know the electrical codes pertains to the building in question. Am I going to insure said dwelling? Let me explain a few things. If you plan to do the wiring yourself you must follow all electrical codes for your insurance company to recognize your building as insured. Your one foot deep trench violates codes, thus disqualifying it being insured and anything stored in it. A permit although collects revenue for local townships, it does protect you and allows your dwelling to be insured. A 200 amp service could be sub paneled off a 400 amp service from your home if done correctly.

IMHO you should get a separate electric meter and properly underground feed it thru your local electric co-op. If your not occupying that much a minimum bill is all you'll pay. you will have a sufficient electric panel to do whatever you want after it's inspected and released by codes. Be it local or state regulated. Here in Tennessee we have both. Local and State inspectors. Most are flexible and will site major corrections and note minor ones you must correct. It is for your own protection you follow the
electrical code. There are many publications on wiring. Things as simple as a light fixture must be grounded properly. If you do a slipshod job it will be red flagged.

Save yourself a bunch of grief and do it properly and thru the local or state codes department. That is if you value whatever you put in it.

/ DIY electric install? #40  
Not all jurisdictions allow you to do your own wiring. My used to but not any more. Of course, this means LEGALLY do your own wiring. Some risks, other than injury, are insurance refusing to pay for a loss, or an arson charge.