DIY electric install?

/ DIY electric install? #41  
wyeguy said:
Not all jurisdictions allow you to do your own wiring. My used to but not any more. Of course, this means LEGALLY do your own wiring. Some risks, other than injury, are insurance refusing to pay for a loss, or an arson charge.

The state of Tennessee inside Davidson County in Nashville, one has to take an aptitude test on codes and wiring in order to be granted permission to do your own work. Outside that county and other metropolitans is under state jurisdiction which are a bit more lax but just as stringent. . I am not an licensed electrician but indeed wired my own house from top to bottom. My wiring had only minor shortcomings such as an ungrounded light fixture but was noted on the inspection and passed. I think if he checks, he will find the home owner can do his/her own wiring but under certain guidelines. It may require the homeowner to take a test to prove his/her abilities.

Are far as insurance goes. If it's inspected and released any insurance company must recognize the work has been properly done. That is the main reason to involve codes. When you hire an electrician, most of the time the person doing it doesn't hold the license. He/she is an apprentice working under a licensed electrician.

/ DIY electric install? #42  
I am currently in exactly the same situation. I am running power from my shop down to the barn. I found that by going and talking to the building inspector before I started he told me exactly what I could and couldn't do. He also told me what wire I needed and how everything needed to be hooked up. While yes there is a fee for the permit, I think i got many times over the permit fee amount in free advice. Plus I know when he comes to inspect it, it will pass.

/ DIY electric install? #43  
i wish they required an aptitude test here in idaho. some of the stuff i see is downright scary

/ DIY electric install? #44  
I am buying T5 4-lamp units for the same price as T8, from Kelly at contractor lighting.com. You might as well use the latest technology.

/ DIY electric install? #45  
I am buying T5 4-lamp units for the same price as T8, from Kelly at contractor lighting.com. You might as well use the latest technology.
the site has a nice selection, but the prices are too high. I can get a 4' T% high output fixture, with 4 lamps for less than $90.00 at any supply house.

heck the 8 foot t8 is a09 on this site but 79 at home depot.

/ DIY electric install? #46  
the site has a nice selection, but the prices are too high. I can get a 4' T% high output fixture, with 4 lamps for less than $90.00 at any supply house.

heck the 8 foot t8 is a09 on this site but 79 at home depot.

That's great for you. Maybe you could post the names of those supply houses if they do mail order so we could all benefit. I don't seem to be so lucky with local sources. Then too, there may be a quality difference in the products you can buy for under 90 and the T5HO I buy from contractor lighting. These are high efficiency electronic Advance ballasts and are quiet and the highest efficiency technology, and can be switched for two or four lamp operation, fwiw.
BTW, when I call and ask for a quote, it is always significantly cheaper than the internet listed price, includes free shipping and no tax because it is out of state. One order was three fixtures and they beat the internet listed price by ten bucks per fixture and the second order was seven more fixtures and they did better. Second order was shipped on a skid (free) and arrived in much better shape. the first order the boxes were pretty beat by UPS. Fixtures were OK inside.

/ DIY electric install? #47  
That's great for you. Maybe you could post the names of those supply houses if they do mail order so we could all benefit. I don't seem to be so lucky with local sources. Then too, there may be a quality difference in the products you can buy for under 90 and the T5HO I buy from contractor lighting. These are high efficiency electronic Advance ballasts and are quiet and the highest efficiency technology, and can be switched for two or four lamp operation, fwiw.
BTW, when I call and ask for a quote, it is always significantly cheaper than the internet listed price, includes free shipping and no tax because it is out of state. One order was three fixtures and they beat the internet listed price by ten bucks per fixture and the second order was seven more fixtures and they did better. Second order was shipped on a skid (free) and arrived in much better shape. the first order the boxes were pretty beat by UPS. Fixtures were OK inside.

i shop thru 3 national wholesale houses, with PLATT being the largest. not sure they do mail order though.