Gravely Brush Hog converted to saw blade

/ Gravely Brush Hog converted to saw blade #1  

jimdereynier

Tractor
John Deer 650
My neighbor, Rich Agostinucci, owns 4 walk behind Gravelys. He remembers reading that gravely had a chain saw attachment and saw blade attachment which he used to clear brush. Land I need to clear has brush 1-2" thick. I think I can convert the brush hog and installed a 28" saw blade. The only negative is that I would have to cut back the deck maybe 5" to allow approaching the brush.

Any thoughts? Jim

/ Gravely Brush Hog converted to saw blade #2  
Bad idea, saw blades this big wobble at saw RPM, sawmill blades are specially treated to shrink the center, so that the centrifugal force will give equal tension. A standard brush hog should be able to cut 2" thick vegetation without any safety hazards.

/ Gravely Brush Hog converted to saw blade
   / Gravely Brush Hog converted to saw blade #4  
Just use your brush hog. A brush hog will cut through the stuff in the video like it wasn't even there. Much easier on the operator too.

lgranch

/ Gravely Brush Hog converted to saw blade #5  
Just use your brush hog. A brush hog will cut through the stuff in the video like it wasn't even there. Much easier on the operator too.

lgranch

x2 - There's a lot of very bad things that can go wrong with that setup in the video, neat yes, would I use it, not a chance. If its just 2" brush use a brush hog, which will be quicker, safer and easier.

/ Gravely Brush Hog converted to saw blade #6  
So Renze you think the blade might come apart. Here is Gravely Model L-8 with 26" carbide tipped circular saw cutting down brush - YouTube
I agree it looks dangerous. But I think I can reduce the risk by only exposing say 5" out of 28" diameter. The balance of the blade would be enclosed in the existing 30" brush hog housing.
Jim

That guy is an idiot! Carbide tips come loose or break. Hit a rock with that unshielded blade and he could have a piece going through his leg, or it might get deflected and hit him in the face or eye.

/ Gravely Brush Hog converted to saw blade #7  
x2 - There's a lot of very bad things that can go wrong with that setup in the video, neat yes, would I use it, not a chance. If its just 2" brush use a brush hog, which will be quicker, safer and easier.
Just my 2 cents worth. A flail mower would do a nice job as well. The only saving grace with that setup in the video is how low it is to the ground. If the blade does fail the pieces are likely to be caught up by the ground. Also there doesn't seem to be any bits of brush flying around.

/ Gravely Brush Hog converted to saw blade #8  
Gravely had those as an accessory item but they were for cutting larger material, the stuff that their 30" brush cutter wouldn't handle. Those old brush cutters would chop up that stuff in the video like it was cotton candy but once the brush gets to 3 or 4 inches in size it too much for them to handle. I mean they would chop up 3 inch stuff with no problem but when the stuff gets that big it doesn't bend over as easy and the machine can't push it over but it will chop up what it can run over. Those saw blade attachments were for cutting the larger stuff off at the stump so you can remove the larger wood and run over the rest with the mower. If you take your time with those old gravely tractors you can get a lot of work done I wouldn't trade mine for anything. It's amazing what they will do and keep going mine is over 50 years old and still as powerful as it was the day it was built. They are dangerous though, everything about them is but if you take your time they will get the job done.

/ Gravely Brush Hog converted to saw blade
Besides adding the saw blade to my gravely brush hog, I also added a stump grinder-Shawn Kohlbus, 717-246-5015, 2125 Craley rd, Windsor, PA 17366-- $450-500- includes blade-1/2" thick with 4 carbide replaceable bits and safety cover- worked great in grinding up maybe 15-20 oak stumps.

With all this work for the brush hog attachment, I had to first replace the seals in the brush hog, My neighbor, Rich Agostinucci, besides owning 4 gravelys is the senior mechanic at large New England crane company ( nice neighbor to have) The seal can be removed by drilling two small holes 180 degrees apart into the steel. insert a wood screw and gently pull the seal out-evenly. I used Timken seal # 6241S. This is not an exact match. The seal I removed had rubber portion slanting in both directions. Timken 6241S only has it going in one direction. ( but it works great). To seat the seal, you need a tool with a ID of around 1.3" and OD of not more than 2.56" I used a PVC hose fitting maybe 1" but had to grind off parts of the wrench surface. Get two seals so you can learn on one- the seal has to go in straight and you will see when it goes in at angle.

/ Gravely Brush Hog converted to saw blade #10  
It's amazing what they will do and keep going mine is over 50 years old and still as powerful as it was the day it was built. They are dangerous though, everything about them is but if you take your time they will get the job done.

I agree with that, I have a 1962 model L still going strong. Anyone that has used one though, probably has had it try to get away from them, mine has done it a couple of times. There is a saying I remember someone quoting, the general theme was when using a gravely and it gets away from you in the bramble briers, you had better be getting out of the way because sooner or later it's going to make it's way back out and you don't want to be there when that happens.