Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Case 530 CK

Default Building Custom "Wagon" Trailer

I'm building a low budget trailer to haul a 34ft long boat hull, roughly 4000lbs.
    The trailer will be used maybe only four times to haul the hulls from water to storage
    and back again. I think I can limit the speed to only 35mph on surface roads.
    I have a old F350 dually chassis I'm using. Because of the length and the existing front wheels
    of the truck, I want to leave them there instead of trying to make it a single axle trailer.
    I realized that I can keep the front wheels by making them turn as with a wagon, or "hay wagon".

My biggest question is how to do the brakes on the trailer.
    It has hydraulic brakes, so a hydraulic surge brake coupler seems a straightforward mechanism.
    However, because this is a wagon where the bar attaching the trailer to the tow vehicle can move laterally,
    will the surge brakes work as expected? I mean it seems to me that the wagon design will want to push
    the tow vehicle to the side, and I would really want to have the trailer initiate the brakes instead
    of the tow vehicle. Hope someone familiar with these wagon trailers can help.

Jack

Tractor
    Kubota L3200, Ford 1210

Default Re: Building Custom "Wagon" Trailer

It sounds as though the surge brake would work as long as everything was in a straight line. Not too sure what would happen if you tried braking on a curve - especially if you hit wet road or some gravel.

I have a question on the steering. Not sure if this would work or not. Would navigating it be too cumbersome if you were to eliminate the "hay wagon" steering? I've towed cars with a bar that allowed vertical but not lateral movement and the front wheels of the towed vehicle turned wherever they needed to in order to track behind the towing vehicle. I recall watching "the ghost" turn the steering wheel while watching in the mirror.

bcp
    Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

Might be something useful here:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/t...tag-axles.html

Bruce

Tractor
    john deere 4400

do not forget no brakes if bakin up or on steep hill and loose traction and start to go bake up. Bin there done that with my tractor on a rental with surge brakes

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    SSTT (Sideways Snake Tain Tractor) and STB (sideways train box) tractor, dirt harvester

i would redo wheels for trailer. to make trailer either a single or double axle setup. and then put regular electronic trailer brakes on the axle/s

grain wagon setup, i suppose you could do it that way. i know i did some ugly wagon steering diagrams. some place in the thread i want to say before between post 1 and post 140. see
    new tractor idea possibly....

but i am trying to figure out how you could easily do it. due to most boat trailers require a V shape like frame setup. you might be better off getting old or new ""running gear"" (running gear = frame and wheels) and then you can put a deck on top of it, to make it a hay wagon, or toss a combine head on it, or place round bales of hay on the running gear. and everything would be there, exception for some needed extra side support frames, to keep boat from tipping over, as you pull it up out of the water.

your going to hit some costs, when it comes to regular turn singles, brake, lights and making them waterproof. same goes for brake wiring. for trailer.

==============
    i would completely forget the surge brake setup. were there is a device located in the bar going up to the pull truck. it will be pushing the pull vehicle all over the place. just go with regular electric brakes that a regular trailer might have.
    Ryan

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Case 530 CK

I've been looking over the frame, it is 19ft long, the rear wheels are at 16ft. If I add 15ft to the back (from another truck I have), this would essentially center the rear wheels for a std trailer (not a wagon). however, I think it is a real problem having a 15ft and 16ft overhangs, there is going to be too much momentum and any irregular surface the back of the trailer is going to scrap on the road.
    So for a trailer this long at 35ft, I think a NEED to have a wagon setup.

I want to use the existing wheels and axles, so I think what I need is a way to electrically activate a master brake cylinder.
    I suppose it could be two switches, brake, and hard brake. Brake could be wired to the brake lights, and hard brake a manual switch.
    So any ideas on how to activate a master cylinder with a solenoid?

Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

Quote Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
    So any ideas on how to activate a master cylinder with a solenoid?
    Electric over hydraulic brakes.

Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Case 530 CK

Quote Originally Posted by aczlan View Post
    Electric over hydraulic brakes.

Aaron Z
    they indeed sell them, but they are rather expensive.
    Carlisle HydraStar Electric-Hydraulic Actuator for Drum Brakes - 1,000 psi Carlisle Trailer Brakes HBA-10
    I need to Build-it-myself.
    use a master cylinder and an electric linear activator motor.
    one from a motorized seat adjuster. a little slow, if I run it at 24v vs 12v
    that might speed it up enough.
    https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.a...tname=electric
    or maybe this one, looks a little more outdoor friendly?
    https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.a...tname=electric

Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

Quote Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
    use a master cylinder and an electric linear activator motor.
    They are expensive. My problem with an linear actuator is that you want to be able to let off the brakes right away and waiting several seconds for the actuator to back off while the trailer is skidding could be problematic.
    How about a snowplow pump hooked up to the brake lines? They put out 1000-1500ish PSI and could do what you need to do.

Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Case 530 CK

Quote Originally Posted by aczlan View Post
    They are expensive. My problem with an linear actuator is that you want to be able to let off the brakes right away and waiting several seconds for the actuator to back off while the trailer is skidding could be problematic.
    How about a snowplow pump hooked up to the brake lines? They put out 1000-1500ish PSI and could do what you need to do.

Aaron Z
    do you have an example of that pump? i suspect they will be expensive also.

another idea came to me, I can use the steering box as the linear activator. put a motor on the steering wheel input, and it can exert a lot of force pretty quickly, then with the motor turned off, it would just wind back to neutral.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast