Build-It-Yourself Attachments KITS??? interested?

/ Build-It-Yourself Attachments KITS??? interested? #91  
Very interested given a 50% reduction.

/ Build-It-Yourself Attachments KITS??? interested? #92  
I think a few people are over thinking this. If I read this correctly Ted is talking about a no paint bolt together kit, no welding. Kinda like an erector kit. Easier to ship and no complaints that paint is scratched. I think those expecting a 50% decrease are way out of the ballpark. You really think that assembly and paint are 50% of the product? That said I can bolt things together and have a spray gun so I would be in favor of saving a few $ with a diy kit.

I agree.

Taking your reasoning another step: If it can be bolted together, then I know I can weld it together, so a bolt together design should work for all of the DIY skill/equipment levels. 30-35% off with free shipping would be good enough for me to give it serious consideration.

C'mon Ted! If you don't try, then you'll never know if you passed on a real winner business model ... or worse, someone else will do it!

I'd love a kit for mounting a truck plow on my FEL. Make it SSQA and/or Deere compatible and I bet you move tons more steel.

/ Build-It-Yourself Attachments KITS??? interested? #94  
I think a few people are over thinking this. If I read this correctly Ted is talking about a no paint bolt together kit, no welding. Kinda like an erector kit. Easier to ship and no complaints that paint is scratched. I think those expecting a 50% decrease are way out of the ballpark. You really think that assembly and paint are 50% of the product? That said I can bolt things together and have a spray gun so I would be in favor of saving a few $ with a diy kit.
I agree, 50% off is a lot to ask. I doubt the markup on these items is high enough to allow that. Around here I see used, rusty, semi-functional attachments that are 20 or more years old going at auction or online for 40-50% of what they cost new now. That is probably about what the original owner paid for them all those years ago. Add on a comment like "No low ballers, I know what these things are worth!", and you just have to shake your head at the ads. :)

As you said, the discount would vary based on how complicated the welding is and how much it allows the package to shrink down for shipping, etc, but don't be discouraged from doing this if you can't reach some magical 50% off that you are hearing on here. There are still a lot of people who don't live close to a store or live on a tight budget that would be interested in having a new way to get a good deal on their attachments in exchange for a little of their own sweat equity plus a few welding sticks, grinding disks, and a can of paint.
Even people who don't have their own welding gear will often have a brother, or friend, or know someone who they can barter some bales of hay next season with, to put it together for them.

/ Build-It-Yourself Attachments KITS??? interested? #95  
I think we are talking about different phases of "assembly".

If it is just a bolt together and paint kit, then yea, something less than 50% off for sure.

When I say 50%+, that is for FULL assembly. IE: just shipping the parts as they drop off the saw/press/brake or whatever. With all the jigging, fit-up, and welding being done by the buyer. FULL assembly including the fitting and welding, yes I believe it is 50% or more of the product.

Their new blade weighs in the 465lbs for a 6' model. Around here, new steel (depending on what it is) runs in the 50-60 cents per pound ballpark. So thats about $250-$300 worth of steel. Add some hardware.....The blade sells for $1150. So I would venture a guess that they are getting $700-$800 to cut, shape, fit, weld, and paint the blade. With a kit, all they have left is cutting the parts and rolling the blade. With the right equipment (I am sure they have) that is the easiest parts of the above. The welding and fitting is the hardest and most time consuming part. And for a proper paint job, that is also time consuming and good paint aint cheap either.

So my conclusion, For their $1150 blade, IF I have to do all the welding and fitting and painting and final assembly, I wouldnt want to spend more than about 50%

But if everything is already welded, and it just needs some bolting together and a paint job, then yea, maybe a 25% discount or so.

/ Build-It-Yourself Attachments KITS??? interested? #96  
This sounds like a great idea. I would like a grapple tine rake. I did a design in Acad several years ago and have never found anyone with a CNC laser willing to do small projects. I'd take raw steel pattern pieces and weld, blast and paint myself.

/ Build-It-Yourself Attachments KITS??? interested? #98  
I have been thinking about this and wanted to see how much interest there would be. This is an idea I would borrow from Ikea, the discount furniture store where you get a box full of parts and instructions and assemble everything yourself EXCEPT my idea has to do with what we all love. Build-a-bear? nope....... TRACTOR ATTACHMENTS!!!!

How many people out there would be interested in ordering a kit to build your own attachments(box blade, scrape blade, disc harrow etc.)??
Our components are cut and indexed by our plasma cutter or laser so they fit together perfectly with little room for error. As long as you have the mechanical ability, a square, a flat surface to work on, as well as a welder then this may be for you. I would also include an assembly video along with all of the nuts/bolts and other hardware needed to build your attachments. You would also be able to paint(not included) your attachment whatever color you choose.
Besides the feeling of accomplishment when you've finished building your own attachment, you will have also saved yourself some money which I think we all are for!!
The kits would be limited to products that we build at our facility here in NC and the list of those attachments is growing all the time.

Let me know what you guys think of this. It's only an idea now and I'd like to know if we can turn it into something!

I would definitely be interested in that (depending on price). I usually have more time than money. I hope you'll have a good selection - first on my list would be a rock or root grapple.

Selling kits would cut down on shipping costs also.

/ Build-It-Yourself Attachments KITS??? interested? #99  
The only slight concern that I am starting to get is that they (EA) posted this question, hung around for a little while and have not chimed in with anything for quite some time. They are usually quick to recommend their products when someone is asking about an attachment, but they sure left this one out to dry in a short time. Makes me question the service after the sale. I know they have a business and don't have time to sit and monitor all of the threads on here, but one that they started looking for feedback you would think they would at least check once a day or so.

/ Build-It-Yourself Attachments KITS??? interested?
This is Travis. I do most of the posting for ETA here on TBN and get the answers to many of your questions directly from Ted because typing and emailing aren't really his thing.

Your opinions really do matter to Ted. An example is.....When he first starting his manufacturing venture, he had a paint color in mind but before he started painting everything that color, he got opinions from you guys and determined that the majority preferred a color that can be purchased locally for touch-up and that goes with all tractors. That color was industrial yellow(CAT yellow) which is totally different from the red color he planned to use. Your opinions directly affect what we do here at ETA. . . From start to finish, we work for you and want that to be well known!!! You are making it possible for Ted to do what he is very passionate about.

Ted wanted me to start this thread to get opinions and see how much interest there is in the idea. You guys have provided us with many great ideas and it seems that there is a great deal of interest and support out there in TBN land!!!
This is not something that we are going to rush into overnight. It will take a great deal of planning to make this work and your input is very valuable and appreciated.

The next step I want to take is to test this idea in the real world with an attachment kit of our choosing($400-$1000 value) in which we will send, free of charge, to one capable person who will agree to provide us(and you) with an in-depth step-by-step review(complete with pictures) of the complete process from beginning to the painted, final product. We will choose a fairly simple attachment but it will require welding and the other capabilities already discussed in this thread.
This will require more help from you guys to let us know who is the right person for the job. Get together and recommend that person by polling/discussion. We will then gather your feedback and proceed.
Again, thanks for your outstanding assistance!! This will also be posted on the attachments forum.