Build-It-Yourself Attachments KITS??? interested?

/ Build-It-Yourself Attachments KITS??? interested? #21  
I agree with the potential for this to go over well with TBNers. So many of us do have all of the tools, all though my tool utilization my fall short of others!!! I would be more inclined to purchase an implement that I may not have considered if required to purchase at retail. I can hear someone coming along and saying "you didn't build that". Could never convince me though.

/ Build-It-Yourself Attachments KITS??? interested? #22  
I can see the pre-painted option being an excessive cost. The cost to properly pack the items for protection during shipping could add alot to the costs, unless it is simply a bolt together application.

/ Build-It-Yourself Attachments KITS??? interested? #23  
Another service, right along these lines, would be custom parts laser cut from sheet or plate where the customer supplies the CAD drawing in DXF format. There would be a setup charge of course. The beauty of the laser is accuracy as Ted aludes to above. Not only can slots and tabs be incorporated to minimize the need for welding jigs and fixtures to ensure an accurate weldment but bolt holes, clearance holes etc. can be pierced in the same setup.

/ Build-It-Yourself Attachments KITS??? interested? #24  
I like this ideal!!! I have been thinking about building a few attachments myself. If the price was right and it was the attachments I wanted I would be all over this!!!

/ Build-It-Yourself Attachments KITS??? interested? #25  
I have been thinking about this and wanted to see how much interest there would be. This is an idea I would borrow from Ikea, the discount furniture store where you get a box full of parts and instructions and assemble everything yourself EXCEPT my idea has to do with what we all love. Build-a-bear? nope....... TRACTOR ATTACHMENTS!!!!

How many people out there would be interested in ordering a kit to build your own attachments(box blade, scrape blade, disc harrow etc.)??
Our components are cut and indexed by our plasma cutter or laser so they fit together perfectly with little room for error. As long as you have the mechanical ability, a square, a flat surface to work on, as well as a welder then this may be for you. I would also include an assembly video along with all of the nuts/bolts and other hardware needed to build your attachments. You would also be able to paint(not included) your attachment whatever color you choose.
Besides the feeling of accomplishment when you've finished building your own attachment, you will have also saved yourself some money which I think we all are for!!
The kits would be limited to products that we build at our facility here in NC and the list of those attachments is growing all the time.

Let me know what you guys think of this. It's only an idea now and I'd like to know if we can turn it into something!

I thinks thats a great idea. Sorta like your pine straw rake is in kit form now. 25% savings on a chisel plow put me down for one.

/ Build-It-Yourself Attachments KITS??? interested? #26  
I like the idea. My biggest stumbling block is getting the steel. We have suppliers around here, but I can't buy in large enough quantities to get a good price. I would be concerned about shipping costs from NC.

/ Build-It-Yourself Attachments KITS??? interested? #27  
I hadnt considered painting. I would consider that an optional way to ship would be to package them in pre-blasted and primed condition with just the weld area unpainted. Furnish paint/thinner also for prime and finish coating after construction is completed. You wouldnt end up with a baked on coating but many coating materials are available to mimic the powder coating. Most of the equipment has a poor paint job and very little prep work or media blasting or even degreasing is done so the paint goes away pretty fast unless you pay premium for the paint work and even then, I have never seen a sandblasted finish on equipment which is what it takes for the paint to adhere and stay on long term.

Well, it would be a good deal for me as I have the welding equip and a Powder Coating shop, but as others have said, it depends on the price.

Gary, Not to hijack the thread, but I'm wondering what coating materials you are talking about?

/ Build-It-Yourself Attachments KITS??? interested? #28  
I want a box blade kit badly. So many used ones are beat up and command a high price!?

/ Build-It-Yourself Attachments KITS??? interested? #29  
i want a land plane kit... I have a welder but no time and plasma cutter...

/ Build-It-Yourself Attachments KITS??? interested? #30  
If you go through with this idea, I would post a minimum tool list and instructions on your web site for potential buyers to review before ordering a kit. Nothing would piss me off more than to order a kit and when it arrives to discover that I don't have the tools needed to assemble the implement. Of course you would need some disclaimer absolving you of liability should somebody do a crappy welding job and have the implement fail in some manner causing said inDUHvidual to file a lawsuit against you.