GAS SENDING UNIT

/ GAS SENDING UNIT #1  

corkey

Tractor
'59 Ford 641 & '55 640 Workmasters
I need some advice from someone with more experience with tractor problems then me. My ride is a 59 Ford 601 (641), a precious owner changed the gas tank to a newer one, the new one doesn't have a sending unit. Can I cut a hole in the tank and install one myself? I'm trying to restore it and all ready spent to much. This is the first time I've posted, been a member for abt 6 months.

Thanks
Corkey

/ GAS SENDING UNIT #2  
corkey said:
I need some advice from someone with more experience with tractor problems then me. My ride is a 59 Ford 601 (641), a precious owner changed the gas tank to a newer one, the new one doesn't have a sending unit. Can I cut a hole in the tank and install one myself? I'm trying to restore it and all ready spent to much. This is the first time I've posted, been a member for abt 6 months.

Thanks
Corkey

Corkey, remove the tank and flush well with water to assure it's free of gas. you didn't say if it was gas or diesel. Order your fuel float and get a gasket for it. Take a hole saw and cut your hole where it should be. set your sending unit on it to mark your holes. drill your holes. You can take one of those harbour freight magnet on a telescopic rod to clean up any shavings inside. Filter should catch them as well. Single wire to the sending unit to the sender terminal on the gauge. Voltage to the + terminal. Ground in picked up off the tank bolts, but verify with an ohm meter for continuity to ground. your could run two wires to the sending unit. one to the sensor and one to one of the screws securing the sending unit to the tank. Either way a ground is needed either thru the chassis or dedicated ground wire. Try to pick and area on the tank somewhat in the center but where the the sensor float will drop straight down from front to back. Not side to side. Post some pictures as to what your trying to do.

/ GAS SENDING UNIT
Sorry I forgot to say it is gas. Thank you for the advice but I've done some searching and I can't find a sending unit with holes to screw it into the tank. I guess you meant to screw it to the tank. I'll get some pics ASAP, right now I've got the whole front sheet metal off so I can fix and paint it. That's why I was going to tackle the gas tank, I've have to take it off anyway to replace the valve cover gasket. With the work I need to do I was thinking it might be better to send it off to one of these places that restore and rebuild everything to brand new. There is one in Penn. abt 150 miles from me. Any advise.

/ GAS SENDING UNIT #4  
If you do some internet searching there are a lot of senders and gauges tank setup. We at work use a LOT of Murphy items. They are pretty in-expensive for both gauges ans senders. You can get electronic gauges or electro-mechanical ones. Look for I think it is a ESF/ESF2 (electrical fuel sender / 2) or (EG2) and the gauge to go with it.

FW Murphy - Home
FW Murphy - Gages (Electric)
http://www.fwmurphy.com/uploaded/documents/pdfs/0610119.pdf

these things are CHEAP and Adjustable. pretty easy setup... I think our OEM cost is 23 bucks for the in-tank sender.

Mark

/ GAS SENDING UNIT #5  
a dip rod works well, (I find the last few senders I bought have not lasted that long, and seem to be very expensive for there life).

but if you have the correct sender, and know the proper location I see no reason why one could not add it,

/ GAS SENDING UNIT #6  
yep kid was meaning you will have to scab it on.

too bad you don't have the old tank to cut n paste from.

not a hard reapir.. just takes a lil measurin and some cuttin..