Chinese clone engines, the good bad and the ugly

/ Chinese clone engines, the good bad and the ugly #1  

BHD

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 4020
I have a project I am wanting to build, and would love a Honda engine on it, but the cost is beyond the total budget of the project,

and I see HF has the 6.5 hp for about $120.00 HORIZONTAL ENGINE, GASOLINE , EPA 212CC OHV 7HP and I see Kohler clone for about $225 KOHLER Engine 6.5hp COURAGE Model SH265-0011 on eBay! same HP rating, The non Kohler are about 175 or so,

The reviews for Chonda engines I have read there either loved or hated, does not seem like a lot of middle ground,

I do not want to wast my money and I do not live close to a HF for a easy return,

any advice or suggestions,

/ Chinese clone engines, the good bad and the ugly #2  
It has been my experience that if you want quality..........pay for it, otherwise expect what you pay for.

/ Chinese clone engines, the good bad and the ugly #3  
Seems to depend on the luck of the draw....

I purchased 20 "Chonda's" from 6.5hp - 14hp at bargain basement (c.20% of a name brand) as a single "bulk deal" for general ag use (transfer pumps, gen sets & augers), my experience (not unexpectedly) has been both good & bad.....
After 2yrs of heavy use most are still running fine - those that have "expired" did so fairly shortly after being installed (porous castings/cracks, out of balance, poor factory assembly) - now 1 in every 4 engines is a dog (expired or suitable for spares only)......yes, you get what you pay for, though for what I paid my expectations were very low from the outset so I'm far from disappointed.

There's few things I don't rely on with "Chonda's", the HP (as quoted is overly optimistic,a 6.5hp is probably 4-5HP constant), there's no way I'd put them in a task critical application (like a fire pump) & oil consumption (is unpredicable, oil needs to be checked regularly, individual engines can go from no oil consumption to heaps & back again for no apparent reason)

/ Chinese clone engines, the good bad and the ugly #4  
Luck of the draw. I've got a 13hp knock off on my woodsplitter. It sits for 90% of the year but still starts right up second or third pull. I'm the same as MBTRAC, I didn't go into it with overly high expectations so I'm plesantly surprised.....Mike

/ Chinese clone engines, the good bad and the ugly #5  
I've got 6.5 on a 2 inch discharge water pump that we've had for 5 years now. We use it to suck water out of the dugout to water our lawn and garden and it's worked great. The one thing that I've been doing is when it gets close to the end of the season I make sure to use fuel conditioner in each fill. That way I know it's in the system when the thing is going to sit for the winter. Everything starts on the first or second pull.

/ Chinese clone engines, the good bad and the ugly #6  
Give me a couple years and I will tell you. I have a HF 212 cc for a wood splitter build. Seems to run good but time will tell. if you have sometime you might want to watch for sale flyers. I picked it up for $106 with shipping.

Good luck

/ Chinese clone engines, the good bad and the ugly #7  
A relative of mine bought a 13hp because it was cheaper than a 5hp original Honda, to power the applicator pump on his sprayer truck (a modified GMC with tractor tires on the back, a combine portal front axle for clearance, and a combine cab) but after a day it stopped. Taking it apart he found that the pushrods were worn through the pressed steel rockers. he bought the chinese engine just to be off spraying, and convert it to PTO drive later: however the constant pressure of the gas engine independent of the sprayer truck engine he liked, so he returned the Chonda for warranty to the shop and got a 5hp original Honda instead, which is still powering his spraying rig.

/ Chinese clone engines, the good bad and the ugly #8  
I replaced the worn out Tecumseh engine on my Bolens 1453 garden tractor a few months ago with one of those HF 420 cc Honda clones (has both electric and rope pull starters). Cost: $350. So far it's run fine. Starts instantly on the electric starter. Had to weld up an adapter to get it to fit on the Bolens frame, but that was an easy fix.

/ Chinese clone engines, the good bad and the ugly #9  
FWIW, I have and engine that looks like the $99 HF 6.5 on a log splitter. It's started on 1st or 2nd pull every time I've used it. I've had it a year, probably have 50 hours or so on it. I've got a bigger Chonda engine on a generator that's real hard to start. I think it's b/c I can't pull it through fast enough to suck fuel in after sitting. I usually have to prime it. But once it's going it runs fine.

/ Chinese clone engines, the good bad and the ugly #10  
I've had a clone on the logsplitter for about 6 years. Starts well but I can see potential problems soon. The rubber parts and seals are splitting, Rust and peeling paint are taking over. Honda engine of same vintage is looking near new.