Mock up of my splitter I'm building

/ Mock up of my splitter I'm building #1  

davedj1

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501
Specs so far are: 4.5" x 30" cylinder, 17 gal hydraulic tank, going to have a log lift, axle off an old pop-up with 13" honda civic tires and wheels, 32" working height, 10.5" tall wedge, 11 hp HF predator motor.
Next I have to decide on the pump, 16 gpm. or 22 gpm. I'm leaning towards the 22 but I may end up getting the 16 due to the cost difference. I have a cylinder for the lift.

SDC10843.jpg

SDC10844.jpg

/ Mock up of my splitter I'm building #2  
Depending on your table geometry, you could incorporate a catch table with your lift. My lift tops out at about 20 deg. above horizontal which is helpful on a big round with nubs that make it hard to roll. I have an out- table as part of the lift, so I only have to grab the near-side half if it requires a re-split. I usually have to drop the lift/table a little to level it, to hold the piece.
A four-way wedge would reduce that resplitting. With a 4-1/2" cyl you should have power enough for a four-way wedge with most logs.
I like you're making the beam high up- helps the old back!
Jim

/ Mock up of my splitter I'm building #3  
Also the lift doesn't take much force to raise. You might need to limit oil flow to avoid launching the bolt at your head.
Jim

/ Mock up of my splitter I'm building #4  
Looks good so far.

You really should consider both a hydraulic wedge and log lift plus an outfeed table. I know i could never go back to a splitter that didnt have those items. They really add useability to the unit.

On the pump, i dont believe you have enough HP for the 22gpm. I have the 22gpm on mine with a 14hp Robin engine and i dont have enough HP if I turn the PSI up.

Id stuck with the 16 if I was you.

/ Mock up of my splitter I'm building
Scooby, that's exactly what I was looking for, some real world information, I think I will go with the 16 gpm pump and save myself some $$$$$

I intend to have an out-feed table when it's done. My back is already shot so the lift and high beam is a must.

I don't need a lot of wood, maybe 2-3 cord (I only heat my garage with wood) but my brother has an OWB and I want him to be able to use it too.

/ Mock up of my splitter I'm building #6  
Although you only split a couple cord, dont underestimate the luxury items like the lift and wedge. I have a sore back myself. The lift really saves your back plus it gives a large shelf to stage rounds on before splitting.. the wedge saves you time, which saves your back in another way.

Besides cost and HP another reason to go with the smaller pump is reduced speed. I never really run my 22gpm at full throttle... its just too fast for one guy!! The only time I use all 22gpm is when I have help.

My build thread might give you some ideas. It can be found here: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/219145-woodsplitter-build-timberwolf-clone.html

/ Mock up of my splitter I'm building #7  
I built one as well. Sit down when you order hydraulic fittings .

/ Mock up of my splitter I'm building #8  
Looking at your hbeam and considering you are using a 4 1/2in cyl. I am thinking it might be in your interest to add some side support to the web of the beam. Wimpy Hbeams have a tendency to twist under heavy stress. That 4 1/2 in cyl will have the capacity to twist the beam. Wouldnt take much to beef it up, A couple of 1/2 plates welded down the inside of the hbeam.

Also, looking at your pusher plate it seems to have only 2 bolts clamping it to the table. It also looks small, or I should say short, in the clamping area. The longer the stroke, the more tendency for the pusher to cock and the cyl rod to bow, this put tremendous stress on the bolts. First the bolts stretch, then break. When the bolts stretch, and the pusher gets loose on the hbeam, it will bend the flanges of the Hbeam. I would consider either a longer bottom pusher plate, or capping the hbeam with another piece of 1/2in plate. Of course I always overbuilt everything, but overbuilding means I aint always fixing stuff that breaks.

/ Mock up of my splitter I'm building
Muddstopper, good points and I plan on beefing up the beam. I'm taking my time and getting everything the way I think I want it so I don't have to tear anything apart. I only have two bolts in the pusher temporarily, I figured the lower part should be slightly longer than the vertical part so I went with 6" on the horizontal and 5" on the vert. The Horiz. is 3/4" with the vert. being 1/2" plate. My brothers store bought splitter (MTD) has so much slop in his pusher it's not even funny and he splits a log truck load a year just to heat his house, not to mention what he splits to heat his garage. I may tack on a piece over top of the beam, we'll see when the time comes.
Keep the ideas coming and I will check on your build Scooby.
thanks,
dave

/ Mock up of my splitter I'm building #10  
+1 on adding to the beam.Your going to twist it like a pretzel first time you hit a knot in some wood and it tries to slide off the side of the knot...I have an 8 " tall x6 28lb/ft,and its too small for my 5" cylinder,ive braced it extensively and its working,but i twisted it pretty good 3x...