Mock up of my splitter I'm building

/ Mock up of my splitter I'm building #41  
Here is my system for lifting the heavys. The T knife keeps the block in one piece just taking two off the bottom.

I considered something like this, using one of those 'pickup truck' cranes.

/ Mock up of my splitter I'm building #42  
log splitter two way.jpg
Here's my update from the log splitter above. I'm an amature, and this is one of my first welding projects..so I'm sure I will have to retrofit! I have simply run light flux core (mig like) welds. I hope to run it over to my buddies arc welder in a couple weeks. hoses, and retrofitting a 25 gallon poly barrel for the tank.

After much thought, I opted weld a two -direction "blade" that cuts through the wood both directions, thus not wasting the return cylinder rod time. It will cut 16" wood both sides. The 5" cylinder, single blade will cut through the tough knotty wood, whereas possibly having a problem with a 4 way wedge. Note: I do hope to add a slip over 4-way wedge for the easier wood I may run into, and also dream of adding a "crane style" lift overhead to pull the huge lumber from either side.

Ideas are welcome:) Thank you Tractorbynet, Youtube, and Google photos!

/ Mock up of my splitter I'm building #43  
90% done. I fired it up and ran it for 30 minutes or so:) Boy does this two way splitter work! I cut anything I could find to put into it. It even split the log rounds vertical, which was nice for the ones that were slightly too long to fit into my splitting table! (But this way was slow and much less efficient). How gratifying to build something from scratch borrowing your ideas, and Youtube, and drawing on paper and computer SKETCHUP! I tossed the Poly hydraulic tank idea, and opted to convert an old upright gas tank. The more I thought of venting the round polyh tank, and contaminants, I thought I needed to "bite it" and do this right. I'm currently running about 13 gallons of hyd fluid with this 22GPM test run, (which is way too little), so the tank indeed runs very hot. I think I will be fine when I add another 5++ or so gallons. (I love the large pump, but honestly I think a step down in size, loosing the weight of those heavy hydraulic gallons of oil may have been actually better. I will occasionally pull this splitter through the woods with my quad, so balance of weight is good attempting traction in swampy conditions.

This was simply a test run to see if my welds held, and if there were any major design errors such as interferences etc. It ran GREAT! My 9hp engine did drive the huge pump, so I don't have to run out right away and buy an engine. They recommend 11hp. I may trade up someday. I'm tossing around my options of hydraulic lift in my head. I love the hydraulic lift, but I have a small winch that I could possibly adapt and have the advantage of "pulling" very large logs up to the splitter. But with this, I need a battery, and I don't think my current engine will charge the battery. How many winch pulls could I get off of one charge of a battery? Hmm?

PS.. I really like the small "bench" to roll the large log halves onto for the next splitting sequence. I was right on with the two direction idea!

The tank needs brackets welded, which I should have done prior, but I wanted to do a test run on weight, balance and strength prior. I should have taken a test in faith and just welded, and kicked myself if I had to re-do. Hose clamps, rear bumper / triangle reflector triangle sign, possible rear lights/ light guards, to come. I may post on Youtube. ( I have never done such a thing). log splitter front.jpglog splitter rear.jpg

/ Mock up of my splitter I'm building
Ok, so after a year or so I would like to report on my splitters performance. As of now I have not had any problems with it. I changed the front leg design from one jack to a fixed leg and the jack, it's way more stable this way. They both are in receiver hitch type mounts and in the transportation mode are horizontal. Between my brother and I we have split probably 10 to 15 cords of wood and it has performed flawlessly! I'm quite pleased to say the least. I split about 4 cords for a friend this past Saturday and ran the 4 way for almost all of it. I took it off for a couple pieces of gnarly maple with big crotches. The only thing I didn't like was the out feed table and the log lift had a space when in the level position and splits would fall down in there. I rectified that problem yesterday by adding 7" to the front side of the log lift. When the lift is level now there is only a small space. I got rid of the aluminum diamond plate also and replaced it with some stainless expanded metal a friend gave me. Now on to build 2, I picked up a 5 x 30 cylinder at a scrap yard that is brand new, never had grease in the zerts and the shipping plugs are still in the ports for 24 bucks!
Here's a couple of pics.

/ Mock up of my splitter I'm building
Yeah it's amazing what you can scrounge up at a scrap yard! I bought a bunch of 2" x 2" x 1/4" angle iron for 20 cents a pound and a bunch of flat stock for the same price. Most of it has almost no rust, it's not like it was sitting out for very long. This reminds me, I gotta go back there.